HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Shutdown Dman or PP QB? (merged) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=514563)

DontStaal 05-05-2008 11:58 PM

Shutdown Dman or PP QB?

I've been thinking about this past season lately, and kept debating what we were missing.

Our PP was abysmal in the playoffs, but was our defense that much better than our PP? Or was Pittsburgh just way to dominant a team for us to handle? I can't seem to accept the latter, so I'm going to have to say it was something defensively.

We have all the depth in the world up front imo. Maybe we can use that one top offensive sniper, but we proved in the post season that we can keep up with the best of them and put pucks in the net.

Last season we lost to a very strong Buffalo team. They were fast and played a run and gun style of offense, similar to Pittsburgh this year. I've never been to high on a tough physical presence (since I'm more of the european type) but I can't help but think we would have been better off in these past two playoffs with some physical defensemen. A guy that'd be able to stick it to Crosby, Hossa, and a Malkin. Lay the big hit (the only guy that comes to mind is Girardi in this series). We need a guy that can set the message, throw some elbows. I'm tired of us being manhandled by these quicker teams.

So with Roszival, Backman, and probably Mara (although Id want him back) leaving, would you guys prefer to toughen up our defense with some big guys or get a PP QB that'll leave us as soft as those stress balls they give out -_-?

NYR Viper 05-06-2008 12:00 AM

i would like a big hitter.....the ppqb could turn out to be anyone....all they need to do is shoot with their head up....plus sanguinetti will be along soon and the rangers are too soft of a team...a komisarek type would be perfect

Anthony Mauro 05-06-2008 12:07 AM

PP QB, a natural offensive leader on the blueline

Staal will be our shutdown

MMessier11 05-06-2008 12:18 AM

Both are obviously needed, but opponents could set up camp in front of Lundqvist all season long without fear of being put on their rear. That fact, combined with the sense that Sangs is at most one year away would have me lean towards a big, bruising d-man. To get a power play qb, you may have to overpay and give a long-term deal. If we've possibly got a stud coming through the organization that could do it sometime soon, I'd take that shot.

NYRBlaznBure9 05-06-2008 12:25 AM

Could you imagine how much better Henrik's numbers would be if we had a big time body clearer for our defensive zone. A Scotty Stevens type..

Ah, we can all dream.

As far as the question goes, I think Staal will be our closest thing to that (not so much as a big time hitter though). As for the upcoming season, considering I don't think there are many BIG TIME solid hitting dmen out there, I say go after Campbell.

Lundqvist=Vezina 05-06-2008 12:47 AM

I think a problem with this defense is that too many guys are just average at everything, and not above average at anything. Like Girardi for example, defense is solid, sometimes gets sloppy but usually good. His offense is not anything special but he did get 10 goals. Rozsival is the same way. After his offensive explosion in the first half of the year he barely helped the offense at all, and his defense was inconsistent.

lotus 05-06-2008 12:55 AM

Didn't we have this discussion about this time last year?

There's bigger problems to the PP than not having the QB. That can be solved from within. At least we would hope so.

And if we can't fix that from within.....then god help us all.

beastly115 05-06-2008 12:56 AM

We could kill 2 birds with one stone. Campbell is a pretty big hitter and a PP QB.

Lundqvist=Vezina 05-06-2008 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaqup (Post 14017003)
We could kill 2 birds with one stone. Campbell is a pretty big hitter and a PP QB.

Campbell hits in open ice but he sometimes struggles in his own zone.

levski87 05-06-2008 01:25 AM

Campbell will cost to much. Plus, I think he likes it in Cali anyways. 3 people siged at 7+ mil is no good!..especially if Jagr is coming back.. aye.. thats about 27 mill to 4 people..

danno2530 05-06-2008 02:03 AM

PP QB. We already have Tyutin and Staal for defensive-minded d-men..if we don't re-sign Rozsival, we need to get some offense from the blueline.

I don't really know if I want Mark Streit though..the guy just seems like a total defensive liability.

Inferno 05-06-2008 02:04 AM

leave our defense the way it is. I know thats heresay nowadays, but the options out there will be cap murdering. Ill hedge my bets that the defense will get better simply because the kids will have matured one more season.

Girardi, Tyutin, and Staal arent in their primes yet. Each year gets them closer to it.

bumrusherer 05-06-2008 08:25 AM

Shutdown D-Man.

I'd have to believe that Tyutin, Staal and Girardi will improve their attacking zone play as time go's by. Mara is pretty good at the blue and will probably be brought back.

Trxjw 05-06-2008 08:55 AM

If we had a decent power play, that Pittsburgh series ends up much differently.

I'll take just about everyone back on D, except Rozsival. Backman is stuck here for another year whether we like it or not. Rozy is going to command too much money to be a glorified 3/4 d-man. He's not a PP QB, and he is so bad with the puck in our own end that every time he touches it I feel like the other team is going to score. He might be able to "shut down" some players, but guys with speed cause him to take god awful penalties all the time.

BDubinskyNYR17* 05-06-2008 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 14018414)
If we had a decent power play, that Pittsburgh series ends up much differently.

I'll take just about everyone back on D, except Rozsival. Backman is stuck here for another year whether we like it or not. Rozy is going to command too much money to be a glorified 3/4 d-man. He's not a PP QB, and he is so bad with the puck in our own end that every time he touches it I feel like the other team is going to score. He might be able to "shut down" some players, but guys with speed cause him to take god awful penalties all the time.

id resign mara that is all. let rozsival malik walk. give a shot for pock, maybe he can help our pp.

free0717 05-06-2008 09:01 AM

Long term: Physical shut down D. We have bobby spaghetti in the fold,

Short Term: PP QB. Bobby spaghetti is two years away.

NYRSinceBirth 05-06-2008 01:24 PM

Shut down, big body, mean Defense man is what we need. Maybe some of you missed the glimpses, but Staal is extremely offensively talented. Give him another season or two and you'll be amazed. That, and Sangs is moving along nicely. The PP QB will solve itself, come from within rather. There is no one on this team, not even Staal, who can not only be a shutdown player, while being huge physically. Like someone said before, think of how many deflection goals there is on Henrik, now imagine if they happened HALF the time. Scary.

Evgeny Oliker 05-06-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue (Post 14016735)
PP QB, a natural offensive leader on the blueline

Staal will be our shutdown

completely agree. There is a reason why we drafted Sanguinetti and Staal...they will eventually play together and form a due not too much unlike Leetch and Beukeboom. Yes, Staal doesnt hit like Beukeboom, but he is getting more physical over time.

Fletch 05-06-2008 01:29 PM

How about a mid-priced...

defensive defenseman and a forward who can play the PP point?

squishy 05-06-2008 01:32 PM

I want both. But not the "elite" version of either. In other words, no overpriced Brian Campbell. It is very possible to upgrade Marek Malik and Paul Mara without spending $6m.

I Eat Crow 05-06-2008 01:41 PM

Get Rolston to QB the point...sign Orpik or Commodore to be the physical d-man

Celestial Black 05-06-2008 02:06 PM

Shutdown d-man is a necessity

007 05-06-2008 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inferno272 (Post 14017277)
leave our defense the way it is. I know thats heresay nowadays, but the options out there will be cap murdering. Ill hedge my bets that the defense will get better simply because the kids will have matured one more season.

Girardi, Tyutin, and Staal arent in their primes yet. Each year gets them closer to it.

I am inclined to say leave the defence as it is for now, as I agree that the worthwhile options are too $$$$.

Nevertheless, I have spent a large part of the season wondering what this team would be like with a genuine offensive d-man, la Kimmo Timonen, who was briefly on the radar during the offseason. I don't think Bobby Sanguinetti will be ready next season, and certainly not ready to make an impact, so I voted for a PP QB.

I don't think that the Rangers defence has suffered from a lack of big hitters and with Staal, Toots and Girardi, there is a young stay-at-home type on every defensive pairing.

BrooklynRangersFan 05-06-2008 02:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 14021051)

I agree with these two points - translated this as option 3.

Let Rozsie, Mara, Malik and Struds walk, leaving 2 open holes. Fill one with a kid and one from one of the second tier guys on the market (Orpik would be my choice).

That leaves you with (I purposely broke up Girardi and Toots):

Staal-Girardi
Tyutin-Potter/Sanguinetti/Baranka/Sauer
Orpik-Backman

Backman is on the bubble - I think he showed flashes of what Sather was hoping for, but obviously he was benched for the last 2 games of the Pittsburgh series. If a second kid impresses in camp he moves to #7 on the depth chart.

Lundqvist=Vezina 05-06-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 14021051)

I'd take that, but what forwards available can play the point? The only one I know of is Rolston, and I'd like to have him for the right price.