HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Smyth's contract (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=51484)

Lafontaine 02-11-2004 04:33 PM

Smyth's contract

With all this talk about bringing in Smyth I haven't once heard anyone mention Ryan's contract. He is a great player and is exactly what we need, but what he is worth in a trade totally depends on his age and contract. I think he is about 27. Assuming he's turning 28 some time soon, and presuming there might be a lockout, that means that we may only be getting two years out of him unless he is inked long, long term. And will a player who will be one of our stars from 05-07 be in the right age range for the team we are trying to build? I mean, I would say that the current great batch of young Habs we have will be ripe (as a whole) in about 3 or 4 years (Perez, Kastsytsin, Higgins, Ward, Ryder, Ribs, Hossa, Pleks, Garon, Hainsey, Komi, Balej, etc.) As good as Smyth is, what is worth giving up for him if he won't even be around anymore when this team REALLY arrives?

go habsgo 02-11-2004 04:43 PM

smyth

your right i think we can forget smyth or anybody else for that matter i would be sto see him comme to mtl. :handclap:

Firthbird 02-11-2004 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lafontaine
With all this talk about bringing in Smyth I haven't once heard anyone mention Ryan's contract. He is a great player and is exactly what we need, but what he is worth in a trade totally depends on his age and contract. I think he is about 27. Assuming he's turning 28 some time soon, and presuming there might be a lockout, that means that we may only be getting two years out of him unless he is inked long, long term. And will a player who will be one of our stars from 05-07 be in the right age range for the team we are trying to build? I mean, I would say that the current great batch of young Habs we have will be ripe (as a whole) in about 3 or 4 years (Perez, Kastsytsin, Higgins, Ward, Ryder, Ribs, Hossa, Pleks, Garon, Hainsey, Komi, Balej, etc.) As good as Smyth is, what is worth giving up for him if he won't even be around anymore when this team REALLY arrives?

I agree 100%. What is the real worth of Smyth coming to Montreal? Truth be told, we are still a few years away from being a true Stanley Cup Contender. To me, I would love to see Smyth in a Habs Jersey, but it's not worth giving up our young prospects. :teach:

I'd rather wait a few years, then give up our youth!!! :teach:

goalchenyuk 02-11-2004 05:58 PM

You don't want to give prospect, you don't want to give establish player you don't want to give young skill player but you want the team to be betterand want Gainey to make a deal ...

we already have 4 players that are able to play in the first 2 lines and we have Perez ,Higgins, Kasts ,Plekanec, Balej, Hossa, that are projected to be able to complete these players.The problem is that there is no big player on this list ...

so there are no thousand ways to correct the situation.TRADE.

Sure , we are not cup contender team , but add 2 players and you suddendly have a team that is able to win a couple of series