HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Who was the toughest player in Habs history? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=514841)

Al Bundy* 05-07-2008 05:01 PM

Who do you consider the toughest Canadiens player in team history?

McTusk 05-07-2008 05:03 PM

I'm to young but from what some of my elders have told me, John Ferguson, apparently the toughest guy, pound for pound.

In my viewing days, it was Chris Nilan or Todd Ewen, maybe even Lyle Odelein too.

dutchy29 05-07-2008 05:05 PM

I started watching hockey in 85- Chris Nilan

Beakermania* 05-07-2008 05:05 PM

Chris Nilan vs John Ferguson would be a hell of a fight.

John Kordic, Todd Ewen, Lyle Odelein, Turner Stevenson, were also considered tough guys....

The one guy who i think couldn't be beat in a fight, is one guy who rarely fought though, unless absolutely necessary. Larry Robinson.

KadrüH 05-07-2008 05:08 PM

Chris Nilan and John Ferguson

McTusk 05-07-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brieremania (Post 14034555)
The one guy who i think couldn't be beat in a fight, is one guy who rarely fought though, unless absolutely necessary. Larry Robinson.

Oh yeah, good one, Serge Savard was tough too, although not a big fighter, apparently, I'm going off of an old alcoholics drunken ramblings.

Fido22 05-07-2008 05:11 PM

Nilan......from what I have seen. Loved that guy!

JMMR 05-07-2008 05:13 PM

Larry Robinson was UBER TOUGH.
Also the Rocket.

CrisisInMTL 05-07-2008 05:19 PM

If you really want to turn back the clock, how about Sprague Cleghorn?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprague_Cleghorn

Fergie was a mean SOB though. Didn't he break Bobby Hull's nose once? (Not that BH was a great fighter)

Judge Sauer* 05-07-2008 05:26 PM

My vote instantly goes to one of the nicest guys in hockey....Nilan

HabsVision 05-07-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Front Office (Post 14034729)
If you really want to turn back the clock, how about Sprague Cleghorn?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprague_Cleghorn

From Wikipedia : "In 1923, Cleghorn hit Ottawa Senators player Lionel Hitchman in the head with his stick. Charged with aggravated assault, Cleghorn was found guilty and fined $50."

:laugh: What would that be in 2008 dollars?

LilWinger11 05-07-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brieremania (Post 14034555)
Chris Nilan vs John Ferguson would be a hell of a fight.

John Kordic, Todd Ewen, Lyle Odelein, Turner Stevenson, were also considered tough guys....

Gary Dornhofer would probably agree with you.

Judge Sauer* 05-07-2008 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabsVision (Post 14034893)
From Wikipedia : "In 1923, Cleghorn hit Ottawa Senators player Lionel Hitchman in the head with his stick. Charged with aggravated assault, Cleghorn was found guilty and fined $50."

:laugh: What would that be in 2008 dollars?

$605.38
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/inflation_calc.html

tinyzombies 05-07-2008 05:35 PM

My vote goes to Rocket Richard because he could fight, hit, win battles on the boards and score goals in bunches and in the clutch.

Sprague Cleghorn, Ferguson and Nilan are probably the meanest players to ever wear b-b-r. Maybe Leduc and Coutu too, but I'm not too sure. There might be some more of those old guys. They were all mean from what I've read.

Ivanans is probably THE toughest player as far as fighting goes. In fact, he definitely is. Brashear is probably the only guy who could hold his own against him. MAYBE Robinson or Komisarek could wrestle with him. Not sure about Ferguson, probably not. Kordic was a lefty, but didn't have much defense, and was too small. He could fight like a demon though -- still, I doubt it.

Larry Robinson versus John Kordic would be a heck of a bout. But you could include all the other goons as well: Brashear, Chartraw, etc. Ivanans could probably wipe them all out though. Ferguson and Kurtenbach were the toughest in the NHL during their day, with Fergie maybe #2 (from what I've read).

As for playing the game: Larry Robinson was the toughest when he wanted to be, which wasn't often, but he was never at the level of a Clark Gillies or Behn Wilson imo.

For consistent toughness, there's quite a few. Depends if you mean toughness and skill (Rocket Richard) or just plain toughness in the corners (Coutu, Leduc, S. Claguehorn, SMantha, Reardon, Olmstead, Ferguson, Gainey-who could be very passive also, Tremblay, Nilan, Odelein, Corson, Stevenson, SThornton, Leclair-who could be very passive also, Muller, Begin, Komisarek, etc.)

Other guys who could defend themselves with their stick or whatever were Morenz, Joliat, Harvey, Harper, TJohnson, Beliveau, Geoffrion, Moore, Larose, Talbot, Tardif, PMahovlich, Risebrough, Lupien, Lapointe, McPhee, Skrudland, Schneider, Walter, CLemieux, Svoboda, Quintal, Gilmour, Koivu, Kostopoulos, on and on.

We haven't had many guys with both skill AND toughness in our history, but I'm guessing there aren't all that many of those anyway.

Melvin Udall 05-07-2008 05:40 PM

#1- JOHN bOWIE FERGUSON :yo::yo::yo::yo:
#2 - CHRIS NILAN :yo::yo::yo:
#3- GILLES LUPIEN :yo::yo:
#4- GUY LAPOINTE (kicked butt on Tiger Williams one night in the Forum - pretty one sided fight). :yo:

tinyzombies 05-07-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ND Irish (Post 14035024)
#1- JOHN bOWIE FERGUSON :yo::yo::yo::yo:
#2 - CHRIS NILAN :yo::yo::yo:
#3- GILLES LUPIEN :yo::yo:
#4- GUY LAPOINTE (kicked butt on Tiger Williams one night in the Forum - pretty one sided fight). :yo:

Lupien was a punching bag.

Lapointe could hold his own, but I wouldn't consider him a tough player per se. He did it to defend himself and he never really got embarrassed that I remember. He was solid and low to the ground. I'd say he was tough, but definitely not among the toughest.

Bullsmith 05-07-2008 05:47 PM

Howie Morenz and Maurice Richard. Dominated AND intimidated.

tinyzombies 05-07-2008 05:54 PM

Ivanans.

Turboflex* 05-07-2008 05:57 PM

Larry Robinson

Heard Bob Gainey was a tough s.o.b. too.

Saku Koivu has gotta get an honourable mention considering how he consistently delivers while injured, and the beating he takes playing his ass off, roughing it up in the corners with guys who have 50 pounds on him night in and night out.

snakeye 05-07-2008 05:58 PM

Doug Guilmour? :sarcasm:

RC51 05-07-2008 06:02 PM

John Ferguson is #1
you would have had to see him fight. A real boxer. Not like today at all. Combo's, uppercuts, rights, lefts is was a real boxing lesson and the NHL knock out leader period.

The rocket could fight, but it was entirely different. If you got him to fight ( rare really) he lost it. You could tell their was a big potential for someone to get hurt, not because of a punch, but because Richard would be in caveman mode. KILL KILL KILL and with anything and what ever way, one of us is going to the hospital.

Nilan was a lefty and won almost all his fight because of that.
Kordic was on drugs.

JGRB 05-07-2008 06:06 PM

Mike Ribeiro.

http://thumbnail.search.aolcdn.com/t...5E320B8816.jpg

CrisisInMTL 05-07-2008 06:09 PM

The Rocket had the temper and was pretty tough, but didn't Gordie Howe mangle him at the Forum? If that's true, that takes his toughness rating down a bit in my books.

Pierre Dagenais 05-07-2008 06:10 PM

Maxim Lapierre :sarcasm:

tinyzombies 05-07-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC51 (Post 14035284)
John Ferguson is #1
you would have had to see him fight. A real boxer. Not like today at all. Combo's, uppercuts, rights, lefts is was a real boxing lesson and the NHL knock out leader period.

The rocket could fight, but it was entirely different. If you got him to fight ( rare really) he lost it. You could tell their was a big potential for someone to get hurt, not because of a punch, but because Richard would be in caveman mode. KILL KILL KILL and with anything and what ever way, one of us is going to the hospital.

Nilan was a lefty and won almost all his fight because of that.
Kordic was on drugs.

Ivanans would pound all those guys underneath the ice.