HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   CBC Hotstove (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=515766)

bergo 05-11-2008 11:36 AM

CBC Hotstove

Scott Morrison said that the leafs contacted the canadiens to check for Gaineys availability to take over their vacant GM position.

My question is why do the leafs think every Gm in the league is willing to leave their job to go work for them. To recap they already asked DEtroit, San jose, montreal, New jersey, and Minnesota

GoneAway 05-11-2008 11:39 AM

They're desperate...

anarmandaleb 05-11-2008 11:39 AM

I heard that last night and wondered if he said that by mistake because I've been furiously googling to find any source of that rumour in vain.

Habs8517 05-11-2008 11:42 AM

didnt Gainey sign a extension with us ?
i think they are after Kirk Muller

Llewzaher 05-11-2008 11:43 AM

Are you sure it was the leafs , or the Toronto media? There was talk in Calgary about how the Toronto media are tasking quite a few teams when so and so is coming to Toronto etc...

John-Eric Iannicello 05-11-2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bergo (Post 14071425)
Scott Morrison said that the leafs contacted the canadiens to check for Gaineys availability to take over their vacant GM position.

My question is why do the leafs think every Gm in the league is willing to leave their job to go work for them. To recap they already asked DEtroit, San jose, montreal, New jersey, and Minnesota

They don't "think" that but they would be stupid not to attempt it.

I would be upset at Toronto, as Leafs fan, if they didn't pan over all options, realistic or not. After they know for certain that certain management doesn't want to leave, or their ownership won't allow them to, then they move on to a different group.

You don't know who wants to come to Toronto until you ask.

It Kills Me 05-11-2008 11:59 AM

Also what makes you think talking to everyone isn't a good idea?

And no one GM has turned the Leafs down yet, the teams they're until contract have.

BTW, Gainey is a poor GM. He has time, give any GM in the league the time Gainey had and you'd see results.

Pascal 05-11-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Skittles (Post 14071577)
BTW, Gainey is a poor GM. He has time, give any GM in the league the time Gainey had and you'd see results.

you must be a jealous Leafs fan. :nod:

GoneAway 05-11-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

And no one GM has turned the Leafs down yet, the teams they're until contract have.

So demonstrating patience and not selling the farm for a one shot win is a trait of a poor GM? Give me a break.

Roulin 05-11-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jericho99 (Post 14071539)
They don't "think" that but they would be stupid not to attempt it.

I would be upset at Toronto, as Leafs fan, if they didn't pan over all options, realistic or not. After they know for certain that certain management doesn't want to leave, or their ownership won't allow them to, then they move on to a different group.

You don't know who wants to come to Toronto until you ask.

Exactly. Given Gainey's success, the Leafs wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't do some tire kicking. Same with Holland. They won't leave their jobs, but if the Leafs are looking for the best possible option, they can't make that kind of assumption.

John-Eric Iannicello 05-11-2008 12:07 PM

I actually think Gainey is a very good GM. For reasons that will surely be brought up after that comment lol.

It Kills Me 05-11-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexyChick87 (Post 14071603)
So demonstrating patience and not selling the farm for a one shot win is a trait of a poor GM? Give me a break.

??

I'm saying most teams would have fired him before this year , when he suddenly becomes a good GM.

And try demonstrating patience with Richard Peddie & the MLSE on your ass. He had a great situation in Montreal.

Wetcoaster 05-11-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Canucks' owner Francesco Aquilini did not think so... No interviews and hired Mike Gillis.

anarmandaleb 05-11-2008 12:09 PM

I thin Gainey's a good GM. I think it was Macleans's that said he's basically being allowed mistakes and failures in the short-term to ensure a longterm Habs dynasty. I'm willing to be patient if that's th case.

Pascal 05-11-2008 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Skittles (Post 14071635)
??

I'm saying most teams would have fired him before this year , when he suddenly becomes a good GM.

And try demonstrating patience with Richard Peddie & the MLSE on your ass. He had a great situation in Montreal.

People didn't all of a sudden start calling him a good GM this year.

And because MLSE & co. are a bunch of retards you have to put down other teams' GMs? Yep.. sounds like sour grapes to me. :naughty:

GoneAway 05-11-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

??

Gainey was given the mandate to rebuild the club. Which he accomplished.

In Dallas, he was given the mandate to win the cup. Which he did.

And whoever comes in to save the day in Toronto will be given the same mandate and timeframe. If they don't, then the problems run deeper than the GM position

le_sean 05-11-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexyChick87 (Post 14071603)

Exactly. Could you imagine if we had Milbury? The Habs would be out in the first or second round AND have a depleted prospect pool AND no cap space.

It's all a set-up by Gainey, he's not thinking next year, but many years ahead. He's waiting for the right time to make that one huge move.

Kachino 05-11-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Bob Gainey became general manager of the Montreal Canadiens (May 2003).

John Ferguson Jr. became general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs (August 2003).

icerocket 05-11-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

??

:nod:

Iwishihadacup 05-11-2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kachino82 (Post 14071694)
Bob Gainey became general manager of the Montreal Canadiens (May 2003).

John Ferguson Jr. became general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs (August 2003).

got pwned

/thread

It Kills Me 05-11-2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 14071651)
People didn't all of a sudden start calling him a good GM this year.

And because MLSE & co. are a bunch of retards you have to put down other teams' GMs? Yep.. sounds like sour grapes to me. :naughty:

Um.. Last year he would not be anywhere near a wanted GM. He gave up guys like Beauchemin, Hainsey, and Rebeiro for nothing. He had bums like Kovalev, Niinimaa, and Samsonov on the roster. His prospects hadn't done much yet, AK was considered a bust. His team didn't make the playoffs..

I didn't put Gainey down intentionally, the Habs organization should be praised for sticking with him in the long run. He had five years , no interference and several mistakes in building this team. They're are just better guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexyChick87 (Post 14071666)

And whoever comes in to save the day in Toronto will be given the same mandate and timeframe. If they don't, then the problems run deeper than the GM position

..Most have know this for a while now, but it's nice to see you're catching up.

Breakaway23* 05-11-2008 12:28 PM

Gainey has been linked to the Leafs for years. They wanted this guy since they fired Fletcher, after they fired Smith, and after they got rid of Quinn and the guy has said no, no, no every time.

GoneAway 05-11-2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Skittles (Post 14071754)
..Most have know this for a while now, but it's nice to see you're catching up.

No ****...I was just trying to be civil...

Now kindly run along

le_sean 05-11-2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Skittles (Post 14071738)
Um.. Last year he would not be anywhere near a wanted GM. He gave up guys like Beauchemin, Hainsey, and Rebeiro for nothing. He had bums like Kovalev, Niinimaa, and Samsonov on the roster. His prospects hadn't done much yet, AK was considered a bust. His team didn't make the playoffs..

I didn't put Gainey down intentionally, the Habs organization should be praised for sticking with him in the long run. He had five years , no interference and several mistakes in building this team. They're are just better guys.

Well clearly judging by this year Kovalev sucking was Kovalev's fault. So I don't know how a GM can be blamed for that. Samsonov was a bad signing in hindsight. I'm sure everyone thought he'd be great on this team. Beauchemin was nothing when he got rid of him. Hainsey is still garbage and was too much of a party animal. Ribeiro is a moron who I wouldn't want on this team even if he scored 200 points.

He corrected his problems pretty quickly if he jumped from 10th to 1st.

He got rid of the trash and now the team he built is taking over.

It Kills Me 05-11-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_sean (Post 14071768)
Well clearly judging by this year Kovalev sucking was Kovalev's fault. So I don't know how a GM can be blamed for that. Samsonov was a bad signing in hindsight. I'm sure everyone thought he'd be great on this team. Beauchemin was nothing when he got rid of him. Hainsey is still garbage and was too much of a party animal. Ribeiro is a moron who I wouldn't want on this team even if he scored 200 points.

He corrected his problems pretty quickly if he jumped from 10th to 1st.

Every GM makes mistakes. Gainey got the time to correct them/wait for his fortunes to change.

A guy like Dave Nonis got fired..