HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Who would you rather have signed ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=516136)

Joe T Choker 05-12-2008 04:06 PM

Who would you rather have signed ?

Scott Hartnell at 6 year x 3 mil/year
Martin Erat at 7 years x 4.5/year

Seth Lake 05-12-2008 04:09 PM

Totally 100% different circumstances. Not a fair comparasion at all. Invalid poll IMO.

Paranoid Android 05-12-2008 05:23 PM

Hartnell signed for 4.2 million not 3
I know there is a rumor going around that he might have signed for 3, but its nothing more than that: a rumor. Fact is he wanted to cash in, and he did.

So Erat and Hartnell are pretty much getting paid the same. Who would I rather have? Erat, easily.

The Fuhr* 05-12-2008 05:32 PM

Hartnell signed for 4.2 with Philly.

Enoch 05-12-2008 05:33 PM

I think it is pretty fair to believe that we could have signed Hartnell at about 18 million over 5 years before we gave him the 1 year tender and an FU.

That said, the financial climate is different now. I will say that Martin Erat is much more deserving of 4.5 million than Hartnell was at 4.2 million considering time as a Predator forward.

If it was a vacuum, though, I would take Hartnell at 3 over Erat at 4.5....Then again, I think we would have signed both of them had Hartnell/Trotz not crapped the bed together.

SmokeyClause 05-13-2008 06:54 AM

Well, if Hartnell played in Nashville with anywhere near the passion that he's displayed for Philly, especially in game 2 of the ECF, I'd love to have him back at the price Philly paid. But every time I've seen him play in the latter half of the regular season and postseason, I'm always frustrated by the fact that I barely recall him playing consistently like that in Nashville in the last few years.

predhead1 05-13-2008 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyClause (Post 14093099)
Well, if Hartnell played in Nashville with anywhere near the passion that he's displayed for Philly, especially in game 2 of the ECF, I'd love to have him back at the price Philly paid. But every time I've seen him play in the latter half of the regular season and postseason, I'm always frustrated by the fact that I barely recall him playing consistently like that in Nashville in the last few years.

I agree. I don't recall the full story on what caused the falling out between Trotz and Hartnell, but clearly Hartnell wasn't motivated to give 100% while he was in a Predators jersey.

jstreet 05-13-2008 09:18 AM

Ill take Erat, he can bring the puck up the ice and spends half the time in the penalty box.

FanGirl10 05-17-2008 05:17 PM

Hartnell (like Upshaw and Hall) is playing better in PA than he was in Nashville. I think if he had displayed a bit more control here, we may have found a way to sign him. I always thought of him as a liability - which is why I"m surprised Nichol is still around.

Choosing Erat. Put him on the right line and he shines.

Joe T Choker 05-17-2008 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FanGirl10 (Post 14141152)
Hartnell (like Upshaw and Hall) is playing better in PA than he was in Nashville. I think if he had displayed a bit more control here, we may have found a way to sign him. I always thought of him as a liability - which is why I"m surprised Nichol is still around.

Choosing Erat. Put him on the right line and he shines.

thats the only problem ... he only plays well with Legwand

FanGirl10 05-17-2008 05:25 PM

No, he plays well with Legwand. Subbing Legwand with BONK? Seriously? No comparison. As for ADD Rads, he needs a constant babysitter. Erat couldnt babysit and cover Bonk's butt.

Joe T Choker 05-17-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FanGirl10 (Post 14141201)
No, he plays well with Legwand. Subbing Legwand with BONK? Seriously? No comparison. As for ADD Rads, he needs a constant babysitter. Erat couldnt babysit and cover Bonk's butt.

that's what I said ... he sucks when you put him with Arnott & Dumont

FanGirl10 05-17-2008 05:34 PM

He didn't suck. They were a hot line for a bit. It ran cold. You can't blame that on one person.

If we really want to talk lackluster performances, lets talk Arnott and Dumont. They skated around like they had all the time in the world the second half of the season. They played when they felt like it. Erat was at least hustling through the playoffs.

Randall Ritchey 05-17-2008 05:46 PM

I'd take Erat over Hartnell but its close...

Andrew Knoll 05-17-2008 06:04 PM

Eh, in the end their deals were similar and they are similar caliber players.

Nashville is fortunate that it had a pretty stacked team before the gutting. In the long run, they'll have just let the sale make some tough decisions for them.

triggrman 05-17-2008 10:56 PM

Everyone knows I liked Hartnell but Erat is a better all around hockey player.

continental divide* 05-19-2008 07:38 AM

I think Hartnell's deal is one of Philly's worst contracts. His Cap Number is 4.2, but his actual salary this season was 5.2. Hartnell is a glorified grinder/plugger, hands of STONE, that can't be counted on for anything consistent. He looks like a world beater some night, and then disappears for long stretches.