HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Memorial Cup Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=516737)

habsprospects 05-14-2008 07:38 PM

Memorial Cup Thread

2008 MasterCard Memorial Cup May 16-25

Live webcast

***All game are live on Sportsnet East, Ontario, West & Pacific***
Sunday May 25, Final: Kitchener vs Spokane 4:30 PM ET (RDS 4:30 PM)

Friday May 16: Gatineau 5 Kitchener 6 (OT)
Saturday May 17: Belleville 4 Spokane 5 (OT)
Sunday May 18: Kitchener 1 Spokane 2
Monday May 19: Belleville 6 Gatineau 3
Tuesday May 20: Spokane 3 Gatineau 1
Wednesday May 21: Kitchener 3 Belleville 4 (OT)
Friday May 23, Semi-Final: Kitchener 9 Belleville 0

GPWLGFGA+/-
Spokane Chiefs (WHL)330106+4
Belleville Bulls (OHL)3211411+3
Kitchener Rangers (host)3121011-1
Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL)303915-6

Habitant#1 05-14-2008 07:43 PM

So how does this work? Three teams, one from each of the leagues and a fourth? How is the fourth team picked?

kostitsyn1489 05-14-2008 07:46 PM

Damn i dont ahve sportsnet. I ask my dad to take it since 3 years and i still dont have it. Since 2 weeks i ask him everyday and i sitll dont have it! **** I'm pissed. I want to watch every games from the first second to the last.

Anyway i can watch it on the net like the OHL thing cause i know if i tell my dad again tonight(I will) he wont call tomorrow so I,ll tell hikm again tomorrow and wont have it for Friday. Is it so ******* hard to call a ******* TV company and ask to get the sports ******* package.

Damn it.

LilWinger11 05-14-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habitant#1 (Post 14112009)
So how does this work? Three teams, one from each of the leagues and a fourth? How is the fourth team picked?

The team that's hosting the tournament. (I think it's Kitchener this year).

habsprospects 05-14-2008 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habitant#1 (Post 14112009)

The fourth team is the team that host the tournament.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 (Post 14112056)
Anyway i can watch it on the net like the OHL thing cause i know if i tell my dad again tonight(I will) he wont call tomorrow so I,ll tell hikm again tomorrow and wont have it for Friday.

http://memorialcup.insinc.com/

MM425 05-14-2008 07:58 PM

I've been preaching the word of Mikkel Boedker for a while now.

For those who haven't seen him play yet, here's your chance. If he plays as well as he has in the OHL playoffs, I think he could solidify a spot in the top 5.

Riverside Habs Fan 05-14-2008 07:59 PM

Did I hear a rumour Weber was hurt?

kostitsyn1489 05-14-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverside Habs Fan (Post 14112210)
Did I hear a rumour Weber was hurt?

Yeah ankle injury he left game 4 and hasnt played game 5-6-7. No ide aif he'll eb ready for friday, I'll surely try and dig out for information. I think he'll tho, it didnt seem too serious, but who knows.

And thanks for the link to the live stream, but they dont even ghave package for the whole tourny. It'll cost me more to pay for the games then for my internet I beleive. Anyway it's worth it for sure.

kostitsyn1489 05-14-2008 08:20 PM

I think he'll call tomorrow! OMG I WON A LONG BATTLE, SACRW GUYS WITH CANCER CONVINCING MY DAD TO CALL SPORTSNET IS A WHOLE LOT HARDER! ok that was a joke, but i do feel like i won something i want as medal, NOW.

He started again with ******** like. "Will you watch it?", We already have RIS and RDS", "Hockey season is over you wont watch it this summer", "Some of the game will be broadcasted on RDS", "Do you really follow junior Hockey?"

Man i hear this bullcrap since 3 years and now i can only hope it's not one of the thousand time he told me he'd call, but he wont and start ******** all over a again.

Sorry mod, this is not the most contructive post ever, but thsat's just the way it is.

Habitant#1 05-14-2008 08:45 PM

Does the host team have to achieve anything special or are they just lucky to be in the final four?

habsprospects 05-14-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habitant#1 (Post 14112953)
Does the host team have to achieve anything special or are they just lucky to be in the final four?

I think the Mem. Cup goes to a new league each year, teams in the league that wants it bid for the Mem. Cup and a selection committee analyze each candidacy and choose a team. (I also think the committee is choosed by the league, next year it's in the QMJHL and it was Quebecers in the committee.)

Habsrule 05-14-2008 09:48 PM

Kitchener is the host or "lucky" team this year.

They did earn it. They won the OHL Championship.

Belleville is the "lucky" team this year. They make it due to default of making it to the finals against the host team.

le_sean 05-14-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsrule (Post 14113861)

Belleville is the "lucky" team this year. They make it due to default of making it to the finals against the host team.

A healthy Belleville could very well win this tournament.

Iwishihadacup 05-14-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_sean (Post 14114020)

i second this Mattias, Belle and Subban ar stronger than any combination of Giroux, Pistilli or Byron

Dripper 05-14-2008 10:46 PM

Quote:

Usually the teams who apply to host the Cup are teams that expect their team to reach their potential for that particular year. It's been a few years since the host team didn't make at least the semis in its league.

guest1467 05-14-2008 10:47 PM

Quote:

Not only do they have to provide a good area to host such as city accomodations, they have to have a good competitive team as well. They wouldn't give the tournament to projected bottom feeder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_sean (Post 14114020)

Especially when you consider the redemption factor. It is a little similar to Vancouver last year when they got knocked out in the finals against Medicine Hat in game 7.

Habs 4 Life 05-14-2008 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsrule (Post 14113861)

well give them credit,they pushed it to a game 7 and the host team always stacks their team up since they are hosting the event.Host teams are never easy to beat.

All the best to Subban and Weber

deanosaur 05-14-2008 11:06 PM

hey hey.. move this to the CHL forum. theres already a few threads about the Memorial Cup but there isnt one with a Live Webcast feed.

guest1467 05-14-2008 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deangamblin (Post 14114655)
hey hey.. move this to the CHL forum. theres already a few threads about the Memorial Cup but there isnt one with a Live Webcast feed.

Why don't you just post the link in one of those threads?

habsprospects 05-15-2008 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deangamblin (Post 14114655)

No, no, no and re-no, I don't want to discuss the Memorial Cup games in the CHL forum, I want to discuss it with my follow Habs fans here.

HH 05-15-2008 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 (Post 14114492)
Not only do they have to provide a good area to host such as city accomodations, they have to have a good competitive team as well. They wouldn't give the tournament to projected bottom feeder.

Especially when you consider the redemption factor. It is a little similar to Vancouver last year when they got knocked out in the finals against Medicine Hat in game 7.

Or Quebec in 2006 when they lost the Q finals to Moncton (the host team) but came back and won the Memorial Cup final in their building.

Handlanger 05-15-2008 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 (Post 14112299)
Yeah ankle injury he left game 4 and hasnt played game 5-6-7. No ide aif he'll eb ready for friday, I'll surely try and dig out for information. I think he'll tho, it didnt seem too serious, but who knows.

And thanks for the link to the live stream, but they dont even ghave package for the whole tourny. It'll cost me more to pay for the games then for my internet I beleive. Anyway it's worth it for sure.

He'll be ready for the Memorial Cup - according to all Swiss newspapers. I think Kitchener will win the cup, they beat Belleville already and were the strongest team all over the season.

JMMR 05-15-2008 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handlanger (Post 14115917)
He'll be ready for the Memorial Cup - according to all Swiss newspapers. I think Kitchener will win the cup, they beat Belleville already and were the strongest team all over the season.

I hope it will be an OHL repeat in the Final.

Galchenyuk x 27 05-15-2008 11:39 AM

Im gonna miss the opening game because of a poker fund raiser but Ill be sure to watch the rest of the tournament

JeromeHP 05-15-2008 11:43 AM

For gatineau watch hubert labrie, 16yo d-man who's already the team top shutdown d-man. Ive heard a lot of great things about him from olympiques fan! Cant wait to watch him (2009 prospects)