HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Lie (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=516796)

steafo 05-14-2008 10:40 PM

Lie

Ok this is weird considering i've played hockey for the better part of my life. But i've never paid that much attention to a sticks lie, what the hell is considered right. I usually just walk into the hockey shop and pick whatever feels right. But I would actually know how the blade should sit etc.

RJ8812 05-14-2008 11:43 PM

it's the angle of the shaft from the blade

there's nothing thats considered "right"....like the curve/flex/etc...it's personal preference

MG91 05-14-2008 11:47 PM

It all depends on how you skate. If you skate lower to the ice with a deep knee bend, you'll use a low lie. If you skate in an upright position and don't bend your knees, then you will use a higher lie. It is pretty much where the blade lies on the ice. You want to get it so that the blade lies flat on the ice to make it easier to accept passes and such. You can tell by the wear on your tape if you are playing with the right lie. If the wear is spread even, then the lie is right. If the wear is on the heel, then you need a LOWER lie. If it is on the toe, you need a HIGHER lie.

We'reGonnaWin* 05-15-2008 01:36 AM

Lie is probably the most under emphasized factor in getting a stick. Everyone's too hung up on their curve.

And +1 to mishaal's advice. Looking at where your tape wears is a great indicator. Just to add to that: If your blade wear is on the heel, you can either use a lower lie OR shorten up your shaft. If you have too much wear at the toe, a higher lie OR a longer shaft can remedy this. So you have the option of changing the blade lies or shaft length.

Using the correct lie really makes a huge difference in how you handle and shoot the puck as you're addressing how much of your blade is in contact with the ice.

deanosaur 05-15-2008 01:46 AM

Looking at tape wear is.. so so good idea.
like for me.. my passes more wear from the heelish-middle. except my wrist shots/snap wear more my toe end of the blade. lets just say its all around haah.. i guess that means i use the right fitting lie?

OilerNut* 05-15-2008 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deangamblin (Post 14115390)
Looking at tape wear is.. so so good idea.
like for me.. my passes more wear from the heelish-middle. except my wrist shots/snap wear more my toe end of the blade. lets just say its all around haah.. i guess that means i use the right fitting lie?

Another good way to tell I would think is if you are trying to take a pass and the puck slides under your stick.

deanosaur 05-15-2008 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilerNut (Post 14115414)
Another good way to tell I would think is if you are trying to take a pass and the puck slides under your stick.

ahh yes. now that i think about that one that would mean your lie is too low.. and if it slides of the tip your lie would be too high right?

Robo-Pope 05-15-2008 06:17 AM

You could play professional hockey someday.
The Maple Leafs are just rebuilding.
Decreased scoring is entirely due to goalies wearing pads the size of minivans.
Amateur players should wear tinted visors because it gives them an advantage when opponents can't see their eyes.
The Philadelphia Flyers play clean hockey.

Oh, I'm sorry, wrong kind of lie? My bad.

deanosaur 05-15-2008 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robo-Pope (Post 14115784)
You could play professional hockey someday.
The Maple Leafs are just rebuilding.
Decreased scoring is entirely due to goalies wearing pads the size of minivans.
Amateur players should wear tinted visors because it gives them an advantage when opponents can't see their eyes.
The Philadelphia Flyers play clean hockey.

Oh, I'm sorry, wrong kind of lie? My bad.

..... was that supposed to be funny?

slamigo 05-15-2008 05:01 PM

I believe the lie of the stick works the opposite of golf clubs. In golf, a 9 iron would be pretty near an L shape and a 3 iron would be more open. In hockey, a lie of 6 is more open and a lie of 4 would be more straight up and down.

We'reGonnaWin* 05-15-2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slamigo (Post 14121189)
I believe the lie of the stick works the opposite of golf clubs. In golf, a 9 iron would be pretty near an L shape and a 3 iron would be more open. In hockey, a lie of 6 is more open and a lie of 4 would be more straight up and down.

http://www.uncov.com/assets/2007/9/1...-facepalm.jpeg

You're talking about curve face. Lie refer to curve angle

http://www.prolearning.com/hockey/questions04_02.jpg

slamigo 05-16-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delorme (Post 14124253)
You're talking about curve face. Lie refer to curve angle

No I'm not. I'm referring to the lie of the stick. The angle between the blade and the shaft.
It's purely a coincidence that the face of a golf club is more open the higher the lie. I was talking about the angle.
Go grab a driver and a pitching wedge. The driver is much longer and has a lower lie. (1-2) A pitching wedge is shorter and the angle is less (9ish)
The relationship of the angle from the blade to the shaft of the stick goes like this: "A 5 lie is 45 degrees and a 6 lie is 47 degrees. Each degree brings the shaft forward 1.25 inches." So, it's just like the second picture you posted.
In this instance, the relationship of lie for hockey sticks is exactly opposite that for golf clubs.

And by all means, please feel free to run and find an internet pic to paste into your next post that accurately expresses your disappointment at trying to be a smart ass.

Cheers

lotus 05-16-2008 05:55 PM

annnnyyyywaaaaaay.

metinks i need a lower lie.

http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lieoh3.jpg

dig the rally towels right? I'm proud of the one playoff game a year I can afford as a ranger fan.

steafo 05-16-2008 07:09 PM

I take it the number for the lie being lower means its a lower lie heh? that sounds weird typing that but I just want to make sure. I do skate with a deep bend, and whatever lie I choose has never caused a puck to roll under my blade. Like I said I have been playing for a long time and I have pretty much stuck to the same sticks/blades for most of my adult hockey life so maybe thats why it really hasn't come up.