HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Summer 2008: the time has come for Bob Gainey to hit a Homerun (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=517352)

plafleur10 05-17-2008 08:51 AM

Summer 2008: the time has come for Bob Gainey to hit a Homerun
 
Next year, for the Habs’ centennial year, the time has come for our GM to hit a Homerun and bring us the player or players that will take this team to the next step.

The players and coaches have done their job, taking this team way beyond expectations to 1st overall in the East, although a 3rd playoff round would have been nice icing on the cake.

Trevor Timmins and and the scouting staff have more than done their job, providing prospect after prospect to the team. Just before the trade deadline, Bob Gainey himself stated that the scouting staff has done their job and provided him with more than enough ingredients to do his.

Yet again, nothing happened, except our team was weakened by Huet’s loss (I reckon we were not going to re-sign him; however, he would have come in very handy when Price had his rookie collapse and this alone was worth more than the late 2nd round pick next year we got for him).

Yes, Bob Gainey is a nice and classy man, who has gone through a lot of hardship with admirable dignity and courage.

Yes, he has brought much needed stability to this organisation.

Yes, the Habs are doing better than the Leafs.

Yes, the Habs have tried very hard (Brière, Brunnstrom, Ryan Smith, Hossa, etc.), but have failed, finishing a close second many times, but failing nevertheless.

Now, it is the GM’s turn to flex his muscles and hit a Homerun to match the results achieved by his players, coaches and scouting staff.

His last Homeruns came 5 years ago in the Spring of 2003, if we want to be generous and call the Kovalev and Huet acquisitions Homeruns.

In the meantime, lest we forget, there have been a few bombs, lead by the Samsonov and the Ribeiro trade. We also hung onto certain players too long, to then lose them for nothing, Sheldon Souray and Michael Ryder (Michael Ryder this year is worth nothing, but many among us saw his demise coming and advocated trading him, due to his selfish style which was bound to hit the wall sooner or later on a well-coached team) last year coming to mind.

Also, and perhaps more significantly, over this period, the team image has stayed the same and the team has not addressed its main weakness, a skilled team led mainly by Europeans, but lacking grit and size on the first two lines.

Trying hard is nice; succeeding is what Bob Gainey is paid for.

This Summer, the table is set. The team has the depth and talent to challenge, all it is lacking is the leader/star that will take it to the Cup.

The ball is clearly in Mr. Gainey’s hands, and the time has come for him to hit a Homerun!

Ice Poutine 05-17-2008 08:57 AM

I'm wondering... what the heck tells you that Bob Gainey hasnt been trying very hard (but not publicly) to land us a big name? I mean, after losing his daughter i was sure he would retire but he's still there working very hard.

I'm happy with his work as it is and if he lands us a big name well thats good. But look at where we are now and its because of his patience and work. Lets not throw away some young assets just to bring in a big name player.

And lets not trade for a player, draft him or sign a UFA. But no one should touch the core of this team. The Habs will go far because of Gainey.

Monctonscout 05-17-2008 09:00 AM

What do you consiter hitting a Homerun?

Every UFA has a cutoff point after which you are giving him a ridiculous contract that bogs down your cap room. Just look at Drury Birere and Gomez, those 3 contracts will be like the 5 guys Toronto was trying to get out of their NTC's(Blake Tucker McCabe etc).

Beakermania* 05-17-2008 09:09 AM

I take issue with a couple points...

1) five years ago was not his last FA/Trade homerun... His last homerun in Free Agency was Roman Hamrlik. His last Trade homerun was Rivet for Gorges + MaxPac.
2) Looking past that, he assembled the scouting staff... he oversees it.... he decides who is hired and fired... he has the final call on all of Timmins picks... he is the GM.... therefore he gets the HR credit for Carey Price too.... you can't take that away from him and say its all the scouting staff; cause at the end of the day its HIS scouting staff.
3) We've had the Huet argument many times... but keeping him around is no guarantee Price emerges and we get the number 1 seed, play the bruins, or even get by them in the first round... you can't pluck huet out of thin air and put him in your net in the 2nd round... everything changes if he doesn't leave at the deadline.... whether the end result is better or worse is debateable. But you can't just point at the philly series.
4) The Souray for nothing argument is totally against your Huet for a second round pick argument.... Souray was our leading goal scorer in 07 (tied with Ryder until the last game of the year when Ryder had 3) and we were one period away from the playoffs... a Huet meltdown, and a bad Begin penalty cost us the playoffs but we could've gotten in with Souray and then who knows what would have happened. If we had traded him and missed the playoffs by 2-3 points you would be doing the same argument (a first round pick wasn't worth missing the playoffs without our leading goal scorer).... you are damned if you do, damned if you dont.

Riverside Habs Fan 05-17-2008 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brieremania (Post 14137385)
I take issue with a couple points...

1) five years ago was not his last FA/Trade homerun... His last homerun in Free Agency was Roman Hamrlik. His last Trade homerun was Rivet for Gorges + MaxPac.
2) Looking past that, he assembled the scouting staff... he oversees it.... he decides who is hired and fired... he has the final call on all of Timmins picks... he is the GM.... therefore he gets the HR credit for Carey Price too.... you can't take that away from him and say its all the scouting staff; cause at the end of the day its HIS scouting staff.
3) We've had the Huet argument many times... but keeping him around is no guarantee Price emerges and we get the number 1 seed, play the bruins, or even get by them in the first round... you can't pluck huet out of thin air and put him in your net in the 2nd round... everything changes if he doesn't leave at the deadline.... whether the end result is better or worse is debateable. But you can't just point at the philly series.
4) The Souray for nothing argument is totally against your Huet for a second round pick argument.... Souray was our leading goal scorer in 07 (tied with Ryder until the last game of the year when Ryder had 3) and we were one period away from the playoffs... a Huet meltdown, and a bad Begin penalty cost us the playoffs but we could've gotten in with Souray and then who knows what would have happened. If we had traded him and missed the playoffs by 2-3 points you would be doing the same argument (a first round pick wasn't worth missing the playoffs without our leading goal scorer).... you are damned if you do, damned if you dont.




very nice analysis but when can u take your philly stuff down? I hate looking at it.

Beakermania* 05-17-2008 09:19 AM

once the flyers are eliminated... so hopefully tomorrow.

Hawkguy 05-17-2008 09:22 AM

I don't really want a UFA as it cripples our team for the future.

If we can bring in a guy on a one or two year deal, I'm okay. Anything longer than two years, and I say, no thanks.

AH 05-17-2008 10:07 AM

Why do I even bother opening this dude's threads?

Le Tricolore 05-17-2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natey2k4 (Post 14137452)
I don't really want a UFA as it cripples our team for the future.

If we can bring in a guy on a one or two year deal, I'm okay. Anything longer than two years, and I say, no thanks.

Seriously. Adding guys like Hamrlik to our team does nothing but hurt us.

Blades 0f Steel 05-17-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AH (Post 14137651)
Why do I even bother opening this dude's threads?

It's like taking a bigger whiff when you get a hint of something bad in the air.

Bottom line: Gainey deserves little to no credit for the success and direction of this team, and he has a mandate this summer to bring in a superstar...or else we might have to be content with fighting for 1st in the East again and relying on our young talent maturing.

God have mercy on us all.

Rest assured, Plafleur, I have spoken to Gainey's proctologist and he informs me that there is in fact a large powerforward blocking his passage. He fully intends to pull it out of his arse this summer.

Carbonneau 05-17-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Tricolore (Post 14137683)
Seriously. Adding guys like Hamrlik to our team does nothing but hurt us.

I hope you're kidding?

mtl_felix 05-17-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbonneau (Post 14137755)
I hope you're kidding?

Yes he is.

Chomsky 05-17-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbonneau (Post 14137755)
I hope you're kidding?

No, no he isn't.

JGRB 05-17-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plafleur10 (Post 14137302)

This Summer, the table is set. The team has the depth and talent to challenge, all it is lacking is the leader/star that will take it to the Cup.

You didn't follow this team much this year, did you?

Leader = Saku Koivu.. The guy sticks around through the dark ages, fights and BEATS Cancer, nearly loses an eye and comes back to have a career year, breaks his foot and comes back in the playoffs to get 9pts in 7 games. Thats not a leader? GTFO

Star = Alex Kovalev. He averaged over a point per game this year and can control the game. He had more points then everyone's beloved OMG HOSSA!! :scared:

Not to mention our emerging young talent in the Kostitsyn brothers. I'm not even going to get started on your Gainey talk. But this, is for you:

http://www.neverwinpoker.com/forums/...miles/gtfo.gif

Iwishihadacup 05-17-2008 10:52 AM

SC87 needs to talk to this guy

loudi94 05-17-2008 11:05 AM

Here's a long foul ball:


Both Kost brothers, Halak and a first in 2009 for Lecavalier (signed to a 10 year 80 million deal)

didouche 05-17-2008 11:13 AM

Homerun or not IN BOB GAINEY I TRUST!!!!!

Monctonscout 05-17-2008 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Tricolore (Post 14137683)
Seriously. Adding guys like Hamrlik to our team does nothing but hurt us.

Yeah, exactly...screw defense, let's try and win games 9-8. :shakehead

David 05-17-2008 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plafleur10 (Post 14137302)
Next year, for the Habs’ centennial year, the time has come for our GM to hit a Homerun and bring us the player or players that will take this team to the next step.

The players and coaches have done their job, taking this team way beyond expectations to 1st overall in the East
, although a 3rd playoff round would have been nice icing on the cake.

Trevor Timmins and and the scouting staff have more than done their job, providing prospect after prospect to the team. Just before the trade deadline, Bob Gainey himself stated that the scouting staff has done their job and provided him with more than enough ingredients to do his.

Yet again, nothing happened, except our team was weakened by Huet’s loss (I reckon we were not going to re-sign him; however, he would have come in very handy when Price had his rookie collapse and this alone was worth more than the late 2nd round pick next year we got for him).

Yes, Bob Gainey is a nice and classy man, who has gone through a lot of hardship with admirable dignity and courage.

Yes, he has brought much needed stability to this organisation.

Yes, the Habs are doing better than the Leafs.

Yes, the Habs have tried very hard (Brière, Brunnstrom, Ryan Smith, Hossa, etc.), but have failed, finishing a close second many times, but failing nevertheless.

Now, it is the GM’s turn to flex his muscles and hit a Homerun to match the results achieved by his players, coaches and scouting staff.

His last Homeruns came 5 years ago in the Spring of 2003, if we want to be generous and call the Kovalev and Huet acquisitions Homeruns.

In the meantime, lest we forget, there have been a few bombs, lead by the Samsonov and the Ribeiro trade. We also hung onto certain players too long, to then lose them for nothing, Sheldon Souray and Michael Ryder (Michael Ryder this year is worth nothing, but many among us saw his demise coming and advocated trading him, due to his selfish style which was bound to hit the wall sooner or later on a well-coached team) last year coming to mind.

Also, and perhaps more significantly, over this period, the team image has stayed the same and the team has not addressed its main weakness, a skilled team led mainly by Europeans, but lacking grit and size on the first two lines.

Trying hard is nice; succeeding is what Bob Gainey is paid for.

This Summer, the table is set. The team has the depth and talent to challenge, all it is lacking is the leader/star that will take it to the Cup.

The ball is clearly in Mr. Gainey’s hands, and the time has come for him to hit a Homerun!

Au contraire, mon frere!

I disagree completely with this statement that the players and the coach have done their jobs.

They folded like cheap suitcases in the playoffs when it mattered and refused to play the self sacrificing hockey that wins playoffs!

The coach has improved a lot but he was so badly out coached in some games and refuses to acknowledge his mistakes and let's his personal squabbles dictate his choices instead of making the decision that is best for the team (one case in point is Michael Ryder for the final games).

It means nothing to win the President's Trophy if you can't win the Cup. Just ask the Detroit Red Wings and Stevie Y. This means jack!

Until CH can go deep into the playoffs and finally brings home the Cup, this entire team is a disappointment and have not accomplished their goal.

Monctonscout 05-17-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 14138117)
Au contraire, mon frere!

I disagree completely with this statement that the players and the coach have done their jobs.

They folded like cheap suitcases in the playoffs when it mattered and refused to play the self sacrificing hockey that wins playoffs!

The coach has improved a lot but he was so badly out coached in some games and refuses to acknowledge his mistakes and let's his personal squabbles dictate his choices instead of making the decision that is best for the team (one case in point is Michael Ryder for the final games).

It means nothing to win the President's Trophy if you can't win the Cup. Just ask the Detroit Red Wings and Stevie Y. This means jack!

Until CH can go deep into the playoffs and finally brings home the Cup, this entire team is a disappointment and have not accomplished their goal.

In order to get to that level, a lot of learning needed to take place for that to happen.

I'm sure this year's success will help change the perception of UFA's also.

Le Tricolore 05-17-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loudi94 (Post 14137982)
Here's a long foul ball:


Both Kost brothers, Halak and a first in 2009 for Lecavalier (signed to a 10 year 80 million deal)

I wouldn't do that.

Let's say he'd be willing to sign that contract... why not wait til July 1st 2009 and get it done without having to give up the Kostitsyns?

JGRB 05-17-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Tricolore (Post 14138143)
I wouldn't do that.

Let's say he'd be willing to sign that contract... why not wait til July 1st 2009 and get it done without having to give up the Kostitsyns?

Exactly...

Giving up two first/second line wingers + Potential #1 goalie + First round pick for Lecavalier? GTFO.

jcpenny 05-17-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 (Post 14137876)
You didn't follow this team much this year, did you?

Leader = Saku Koivu.. The guy sticks around through the dark ages, fights and BEATS Cancer, nearly loses an eye and comes back to have a career year, breaks his foot and comes back in the playoffs to get 9pts in 7 games. Thats not a leader? GTFO

Star = Alex Kovalev. He averaged over a point per game this year and can control the game. He had more points then everyone's beloved OMG HOSSA!! :scared:

Not to mention our emerging young talent in the Kostitsyn brothers. I'm not even going to get started on your Gainey talk. But this, is for you:

http://www.neverwinpoker.com/forums/...miles/gtfo.gif

People just dont get it, they are just blinded by the thought of getting a "superstar" that they miss what this team really needs. We do have star players but what we didnt really have was quality depth. Just come back nextyear with a real 3rd and 4th line with another D and we'll be contenders. No more; smoke, begin, streit (playing forward), Lapierre (at center), dandenault and Kosto on the 3rd line. A balanced line up will cost less and give us leverage to sign our own guys.

WeThreeKings 05-17-2008 12:40 PM

There's 29 other teams.

I know it's a hard concept to grasp because this is the only team you really care about, but because the Habs are the center of the universe for us, there's 29 teams competing. Hitting a homerun is a hard thing to do.. Toronto tried to do it for many years and failed and are now with nothing left in the prospect cupboard.

If the opportunity is there, Gainey has gone for it, he just knows when to back out when it's going to cost too much for the team. He's not an idiot.

The n00b King ©* 05-17-2008 12:54 PM

We should trade Gainey to the Expo's for Hossa.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.