HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Alexei Morozov (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=517392)

Bird Law 05-17-2008 01:09 PM

Alexei Morozov

Anyone else interested? I think the new NHL is tailor made to his style and I think he could be downright nasty with guys like Gomez and Drury.

I'm sure he's going to be wanting around 4M or so at the least to sign, but if you ask me, he's worth every penny of it. Rather have him than Hossa right now to be honest.

The best thing with him is that if he doesn't work, we can simply send him to Hartford. He'd likely bolt back to Russia and we can simply suspend him and be off the hook for his salary.

It's one of the good things about the lack of a transfer agreement right now.

Synergy27 05-17-2008 01:12 PM

Really Jon?

No way.

Bird Law 05-17-2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synergy27 (Post 14138943)
Really Jon?

No way.

For what reason?

In the old NHL, I can definitely agree.

But these high skill players like Morozov have the room to create and to do their magic.

I mean, if you've seen some international clips of him or clips of him playing in Russia, you'd change your mind I think.

No idea why you wouldn't want to take a flyer on him because, as I said, he'd likely be easy to get rid of if you sent him to Hartford as he can simply go back to Russia if he didn't work out. It's not like you'd be on the hook for his salary if he simply fails.

It's a no-lose scenario.

I'd really like to hear one good reason not to take a chance on him.

frozenrubber 05-17-2008 01:17 PM

In watching Morozov recently, he seems like a much more dynamic player than the one who left NA. Unfortuantely, w/ being the biggest star in Russia, the type of money to bring him to the US would be prohibitive thus he's really not an option.

The only players you could lure back over from Russia & Europe would be the 2nd tier stars like Weinhandl, and I have no interest there.

Bird Law 05-17-2008 01:17 PM

His last 2 years, in the clutch and grab era at its fullest, in Pittsburgh he was a 50 point player (and that's without playing full seasons in either).

He's been well, well over a PPG in Russia.

No idea why anyone would say "no" to taking a chance on the guy.

Re-sign Jagr. Sign Morozov. See how it works out.

Cherepanov 71 05-17-2008 01:20 PM

Didn't we offer Morozov a contract a couple of years ago and he declined?

frozenrubber 05-17-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan. (Post 14138982)
His last 2 years, in the clutch and grab era at its fullest, in Pittsburgh he was a 50 point player (and that's without playing full seasons in either).

He's been well, well over a PPG in Russia.

No idea why anyone would say "no" to taking a chance on the guy.

Re-sign Jagr. Sign Morozov. See how it works out.

Do you think you can lure over the biggest player in the current RSL, who is native to Russia, back to the US for anything below 5 million? I don't. Not knocking the guy, knocking the numbers of feasibility.

Synergy27 05-17-2008 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan. (Post 14138956)
For what reason?

Well, I personally don't think Morozov plays the kind of game that wins Stanley Cups. I'm looking at the possible departure of Jagr as a real chance for this team to establish a gritty, north-south NA style game that is better suited for success in the playoffs.

Morozov is highly skilled, no doubt, and his numbers in the RSL are extremely impressive, but even if I thought it would be possible to lure him over here for medium money (which I don't) I don't think he is the kind of player the Rangers should be looking to add at the moment.

fizban 05-17-2008 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synergy27 (Post 14139128)
Well, I personally don't think Morozov plays the kind of game that wins Stanley Cups. I'm looking at the possible departure of Jagr as a real chance for this team to establish a gritty, north-south NA style game that is better suited for success in the playoffs.

Morozov is highly skilled, no doubt, and his numbers in the RSL are extremely impressive, but even if I thought it would be possible to lure him over here for medium money (which I don't) I don't think he is the kind of player the Rangers should be looking to add at the moment.

Morozov has gained about 20 pounds since leaving the NHL. He has shown a willingness to take abuse to get to the net in some of the RSL games I've seen. The Morozov that is lighting up the RSL isn't the same Morozov that left. He'd be better suited to the NHL than I think a lot of people realize. I think he could be lured back for $4 or $5 million.

Zen Arcade 05-17-2008 01:47 PM

He's a complimentary perimeter that's not worth the money he's going to want to jump back to the NHL.

DutchShamrock 05-17-2008 01:51 PM

See, I don't think the NHL now is all that wide open. They may call more hooks and holds, but they ignore most of the other stuff... namly interference. I just don't see guys thriving in the 'openness'. Granted I haven't seen any clips (which aren't exactly applicable to the NHL) but it seems like the guys thriving now are the one's that can stickhandle in traffic because you get alot of calls. Maybe that's Morozov's game, but I'd to see him here before I am convinced.

Now none of that really goes against Jon's point that it's a no-lose propostion. I just think we need to be careful with our assesment of the current NHL. My other concern is how his still meshes with our current direction. I don't see much success with the east-west system (pit is the exception but they have the tremendous talent needed to pull it off).

fizban 05-17-2008 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zen Arcade (Post 14139237)
He's a complimentary perimeter that's not worth the money he's going to want to jump back to the NHL.

A lot of people say that, but you are all just pulling it out of your collective *****. He left the NHL and I think it's pretty obvious that he has taken his game to a new level since leaving. Nobody knows if he'd be a star upon returning, or if he'd be "a complimentary perimeter". Why people state conclusively and decisively that he'll be one or the other is beyond me.

Bird Law 05-17-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenrubber (Post 14139007)
Do you think you can lure over the biggest player in the current RSL, who is native to Russia, back to the US for anything below 5 million? I don't. Not knocking the guy, knocking the numbers of feasibility.

I'm totally fine with 5M for him as well. Especially if we can get Jagr for around 5M. That would be a formidable first line with either Dubinsky or Gomez centering it. Morozov is ONLY 31 years old.

He's not an ancient player at all.

Burlington Bomb 26 05-17-2008 02:31 PM

hes not leaving russia

NYR Viper 05-17-2008 02:56 PM

i would rather pay him than pay someone like malone or huselius 4-5 million

Darius Dangleaitis 05-17-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan. (Post 14138918)
Anyone else interested? I think the new NHL is tailor made to his style and I think he could be downright nasty with guys like Gomez and Drury.

I'm sure he's going to be wanting around 4M or so at the least to sign, but if you ask me, he's worth every penny of it. Rather have him than Hossa right now to be honest.

The best thing with him is that if he doesn't work, we can simply send him to Hartford. He'd likely bolt back to Russia and we can simply suspend him and be off the hook for his salary.

It's one of the good things about the lack of a transfer agreement right now.

Really? Hossa is a terrific defensive player, not to mention more skilled on offense than Morozov. I suppose it's a matter of salary?

Bird Law 05-17-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 (Post 14139862)
i would rather pay him than pay someone like malone or huselius 4-5 million

MALONE?

Yuck.

Forget that crap.

hlundqvist30* 05-17-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan. (Post 14140016)
MALONE?

Yuck.

Forget that crap.

If Malone doesn't spend majority of the last 2 years playing with Malkin, Crosby and Gonchar then nobody gives a **** about him. He's going to be well overpaid and for nothing. We need flashy guys who can finish. That's why I'm interested in Huselius. Morozov would be interesting, but who knows if he even wants to come to America and what his cost would be.If, like you suggested, he would sign at 4-5.5 mill, then I would be all over it.

Unk 05-17-2008 03:18 PM

I don't see whats so terrible about signing him. With the FA pool being kind've weak, a lot of holes as wing to fill, and not much cap space, the team is going to need to be creative. Sometimes you've gotta take chances on players no team wants.

roast 05-17-2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizban (Post 14139321)
A lot of people say that, but you are all just pulling it out of your collective *****. He left the NHL and I think it's pretty obvious that he has taken his game to a new level since leaving. Nobody knows if he'd be a star upon returning, or if he'd be "a complimentary perimeter". Why people state conclusively and decisively that he'll be one or the other is beyond me.

He has certainly looked good in the International games as well as the RSL, however the ice is bigger, he has more room to create, etc. Don't get me wrong, he's got world class talent, but he was pretty much invisible in Pittsburgh for most of his years until the last two and even then he had a stretch of 30+ games without a goal. Smaller ice and guys willing to hit a lot more could be his down-fall. I kind of want to see what he'd do with the Pens again but his price tag would be too high for a risky signing. I do agree with the previous poster that he is a perimeter player though...he rarely drove to the net and hung around the face-off circles more often than not. When he skated with Lemieux he started to drive to the net more but not by much.

Killiecrankie* 05-17-2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roast (Post 14140117)
He has certainly looked good in the International games as well as the RSL, however the ice is bigger, he has more room to create, etc. Don't get me wrong, he's got world class talent, but he was pretty much invisible in Pittsburgh for most of his years until the last two and even then he had a stretch of 30+ games without a goal. Smaller ice and guys willing to hit a lot more could be his down-fall. I kind of want to see what he'd do with the Pens again but his price tag would be too high for a risky signing. I do agree with the previous poster that he is a perimeter player though...he rarely drove to the net and hung around the face-off circles more often than not. When he skated with Lemieux he started to drive to the net more but not by much.

No he doesnt. He doesnt even have NHL talent.

Systemfel 05-17-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark144 (Post 14140215)
No he doesnt. He doesnt even have NHL talent.

You don't score 50 points in the NHL without having NHL talent. Doofus.

Killiecrankie* 05-17-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Systemfel (Post 14140246)
You don't score 50 points in the NHL without having NHL talent. Doofus.

When you play with MARIO and Kovalev you do. Doofus.

Oh I am sorry, you never heard of
Rob Brown
Bob Errery
Wendal Young

Carlos Ranger 05-17-2008 03:42 PM

Why not? Because Brad Isbister has had a better NHL career than Morozov. If he came back to the NHL yea he'd probably easily put up 50pts, but he'd still be considered an underachiever and not a real difference maker for the money he'd command.

Sorry 05-17-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark144 (Post 14140261)
When you play with MARIO and Kovalev you do. Doofus.

Oh I am sorry, you never heard of
Rob Brown
Bob Errery
Wendal Young

So are you saying those three didn't have NHL talent in your books?

That coupled with your comment on Morozov has let us all know that you have no idea what you are talking about.