HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   LOL at rds.ca (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=518400)

ChemiseBleuHonnete 05-21-2008 11:11 PM

LOL at rds.ca
 
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/252126.html

you guys have to see this :

"je crois que mes plus meilleures années sont devant moi." Stephane Robidas. :laugh:

RDS needs an award for this!

Joey 05-21-2008 11:12 PM

what's it mean roughly?

Galchenyuk x 27 05-21-2008 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey (Post 14179722)
what's it mean roughly?

robidas believes his best years are still ahead of him

Steel Yourselves 05-21-2008 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchise player (Post 14179712)
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/252126.html

you guys have to see this :

"je crois que mes plus meilleures années sont devant moi." Stephane Robidas. :laugh:

RDS needs an award for this!

Did they screw up the masculine/feminine ****? I have so much trouble with that.

EDIT: Or were you refering to the content :D

ChemiseBleuHonnete 05-21-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey (Post 14179722)
what's it mean roughly?

well, it's something that .... you can't say... It's like "my most better years are ahead of me" but it sounds ten times worse and it doesn't even make sense... Anyways.

Ice Poutine 05-21-2008 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey (Post 14179722)
what's it mean roughly?

"je crois que mes plus meilleures années sont devant moi."

This litterally means:

"i believe that my better good years are in front of me."

ChemiseBleuHonnete 05-21-2008 11:21 PM

I know some people will say it's just a mistake, but come on! Something that blatant? How could they miss that?

But we all know that RDS is internationally known for their professionalism :sarcasm:

Arctic_Hab_Fan 05-21-2008 11:23 PM

man, if people are going to start a thread the least they could do is provide a translation for it if its not in english. This is after all an English board.

Galchenyuk x 27 05-21-2008 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan (Post 14179790)
man, if people are going to start a thread the least they could do is provide a translation for it if its not in english. This is after all an English board.

on a forum, the only skill you need to know is how to read.
read post #3

Arctic_Hab_Fan 05-21-2008 11:26 PM

Thats beside the point, I don't see the need to circumvent rules...

Kriss E 05-21-2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchise player (Post 14179712)
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/252126.html

you guys have to see this :

"je crois que mes plus meilleures années sont devant moi." Stephane Robidas. :laugh:

RDS needs an award for this!

I've laughed at RDS for lots of crap. But this one i don't get.

I know you can't say ''plus meilleures'', but its a QUOTE from a hockey player. I don't see where RDS is at fault here really.

If they have to start correcting the quotes of athletes, it would take them forever to finalize their articles.

Licou 05-21-2008 11:33 PM

Jeez Arctic, take a chill pill!

I though it was funny... The only problem for someone that doesn't understand french is that what is funny is in the way the quote is written. It's hard to explain even with an english translation.

Lets just say that RDS.ca, a "credible" french sports channel wrote a passage that you would probably ear from a four year old.

Kriss E 05-21-2008 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Licou (Post 14179858)
Jeez Arctic, take a chill pill!

I though it was funny... The only problem for someone that doesn't understand french is that what is funny is in the way the quote is written. It's hard to explain even with an english translation.

Lets just say that RDS.ca, a "credible" french sports channel wrote a passage that you would probably ear from a four year old.

Or in this case, a HOCKEY PLAYER.

Licou 05-21-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 14179841)
I've laughed at RDS for lots of crap. But this one i don't get.

I know you can't say ''plus meilleures'', but its a QUOTE from a hockey player. I don't see where RDS is at fault here really.

If they have to start correcting the quotes of athletes, it would take them forever to finalize their articles.

Well actually, when you quote someone from a spoken interview, and you decide to keep faulty language in the actual text because you think it's pertinent, you have to write [sic] at the end of the quote. Not doing so just points that the article's writer just might have had a big time lapsus... and then failed to review his paper before publishing it :D

Kriss E 05-21-2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Licou (Post 14179883)
Well actually, when you quote someone from a spoken interview, and you decide to keep faulty language in the actual text because you think it's pertinent, you have to write [sic] at the end of the quote. Not doing so just points that the article's writer just might have had a big time lapsus... and then failed to review his paper before publishing it :D

Ya writing [sic] is really necessary on a fairly bad sports website.

Even if you want to bring that argument, then criticize the journalist, not the website.

Ufff..can't believe im defending rds, i feel dirty. Running to the shower!

Licou 05-21-2008 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 14179915)
Ya writing [sic] is really necessary on a fairly bad sports website.

Even if you want to bring that argument, then criticize the journalist, not the website.

Ufff..can't believe im defending rds, i feel dirty. Running to the shower!

Bah.. I don't care who gets the blame, it's just a really funny thing to read on the website of the only TV station that gets air time from me (except TSN and CBC maybe) :D

dre2112 05-22-2008 12:15 AM

How is it a mistake by RDS if they're quoting someone's statement?

Masao 05-22-2008 04:04 AM

I think they wrote "plus belles" then they thought "meilleures" sounded better so they deleted "belles" but forgot to delete the "plus" as well...

Happens all the time to me. The worst thing is in college when you hand in assignments at the last minute and thus had no time to re-read.

I once handed in an assignment with my own name misspelled. Another time I used a doc file from another assignment as template to keep the formatting but somehow I forgot to delete the last paragraph, so I had an assignment followed by the last paragraph of the other assignment which made absolutely no sense.

Habs Icing 05-22-2008 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 14179841)
I've laughed at RDS for lots of crap. But this one i don't get.

I know you can't say ''plus meilleures'', but its a QUOTE from a hockey player. I don't see where RDS is at fault here really.

If they have to start correcting the quotes of athletes, it would take them forever to finalize their articles.

Kiss,

They correct a player's grammar all the time. When you read a French Canadian player speaking in English or Bob Gainey in French, they correct it. It's common courtesy.

Chfan 05-22-2008 06:37 AM

The quote one must be an error too, but at least its a quote.. Take a look at this one.

Être opéré au nez, voilà est la question
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/252126.html

Makes no sense whatsoever lol

marc1337 05-22-2008 07:20 AM

It's a quote... even RDS can make fun of ******** hockey players...

Chfan 05-22-2008 08:34 AM

Zetterberg a été un 210e choix au repêchage, Holmstrom un 257e et Franzen un 97e... et le premier choix des Red Wings en 2004.

What is this suppose to mean? There isn't even a verb an its in no context at all...

ThaDevilGirl 05-22-2008 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chfan (Post 14181525)
Zetterberg a été un 210e choix au repêchage, Holmstrom un 257e et Franzen un 97e... et le premier choix des Red Wings en 2004.

What is this suppose to mean? There isn't even a verb an its in no context at all...

the verb is "a été". But yes, the part in bold is a bit ugly to read.

Gros Bill 05-22-2008 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chfan (Post 14181525)
Zetterberg a été un 210e choix au repêchage, Holmstrom un 257e et Franzen un 97e... et le premier choix des Red Wings en 2004.

What is this suppose to mean? There isn't even a verb an its in no context at all...


Why, on an English language board, we are obsessed with the grammar on a French language site, is beyond me. You'd think we'd often have posts or threads about TSN, whose on air commentators do a fair job of mangling the English language. But nope. Why???

BTW, there IS a verb in that sentence.

ChemiseBleuHonnete 05-22-2008 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gros Bill (Post 14181682)
Why, on an English language board, we are obsessed with the grammar on a French language site, is beyond me. You'd think we'd often have posts or threads about TSN, whose on air commentators do a fair job of mangling the English language. But nope. Why???

BTW, there IS a verb in that sentence.

You're often involved in discussions that I think are very futile. But I don't reply and I leave you alone. If you don't like it, don't reply.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.