HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Jofa Bubble Cage? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=518553)

Wease 05-22-2008 02:38 PM

Jofa Bubble Cage?

I'm talking about the originals from the early 90's. I don't necessarily want one of those, they are expensive, but does any current company offer anything comprable to that? I read somewhere that the iTech Fantom was close to it? Any truth to that? Anything else I should look at?

I haven't worn a full face shield in years, however I'm guessing sooner or later I'm gonna take a puck/stick in the face, so I've been thinking about wearing one again. I'd like something similar to the old style Jofa Bubble Cage that was so popular back in "my day"... :laugh:

Wease 05-28-2008 04:06 PM

No one?

JLHockeyKnight 05-28-2008 08:10 PM

I don't know of the cage, but I use the Itech Fantom and highly recommend it. My vision on the rink increased greatly as soon as I got it, really good bar positioning, especially toward the bottom, making it so you can keep your head up and see the puck below you easily.

deanosaur 05-29-2008 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnightRU (Post 14238530)
I don't know of the cage, but I use the Itech Fantom and highly recommend it. My vision on the rink increased greatly as soon as I got it, really good bar positioning, especially toward the bottom, making it so you can keep your head up and see the puck below you easily.

Sorry dude but cages can't and don't improve your vision.
What do you mean exactly by "making it so you can keep your head up and SEE the puck below you easily?
Most people don't look down at the puck when they play, at least you shouldn't be anyways.

We'reGonnaWin* 05-29-2008 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deangamblin (Post 14241635)
What do you mean exactly by "making it so you can keep your head up and SEE the puck below you easily?
Most people don't look down at the puck when they play, at least you shouldn't be anyways.

I think he meant that compared to other cages, the Fantom allows for better vision.

JLHockeyKnight 05-29-2008 08:41 AM

Quote:

Sorry I'm not an all star. The first cage I used was rounded all the way around, and seemed to have a lot of bars at the bottom where it met my chin. When I switched to the Fantom, it is positioned better around the chin so that there aren't as many bars (allowing for me to see the puck better). My first cage, I had to keep looking down because I couldn't see the puck without moving my head. The cage made me stop. And when I look down at the puck, I mean glance. I move my eyes down quickly every once in a while, with my old cage I had to move my entire head to see the puck, and not my eyes.

Pioneer13 05-29-2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

That's an incorrect statement. Different positioning of the bars will definitely help or hinder vision. Why do you think when goalies turn pro they all ditch the "birdcage" cage and switch to the cat-eye cage? I'll answer for you...better vision.

no.95 05-29-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulcanfan (Post 14243075)
That's an incorrect statement. Different positioning of the bars will definitely help or hinder vision. Why do you think when goalies turn pro they all ditch the "birdcage" cage and switch to the cat-eye cage? I'll answer for you...better vision.

Well, since the OP is currently playing without a cage there is no way that any cage, no matter how great, will improve his vision.

deanosaur 05-29-2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnightRU (Post 14242968)
Sorry I'm not an all star. The first cage I used was rounded all the way around, and seemed to have a lot of bars at the bottom where it met my chin. When I switched to the Fantom, it is positioned better around the chin so that there aren't as many bars (allowing for me to see the puck better). My first cage, I had to keep looking down because I couldn't see the puck without moving my head. The cage made me stop. And when I look down at the puck, I mean glance. I move my eyes down quickly every once in a while, with my old cage I had to move my entire head to see the puck, and not my eyes.

Who said anything about being all-star to not look down at the puck? 10 yr olds dont look down that must mean their all-stars right?
It's not that hard really. If you have a ****** cage then that should actually help you force yourself not to look down and just "feel" the puck with your stick and you should know its thre.
All in all, as the previous post just said, already playing without one, and then now going to a cage will not improve your vision. So really, if you want good vision go no cage, get a small HS22 Itech straight visor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulcanfan (Post 14243075)

Actually my statement is completely true in this case, if he's not wearing now already, and now goes to a cage tell me how exactly does a cage "improve" his vision? simple, it doesn't. And it's not necessarily "better" vision. No cage in the world will give you better vision more than no cage at all. A cage may make it "easier" to see but not necessarily better. I've used a bauer 5000 combo with cage. I barely noticed the bars were even there.
And last point, he's not a goalie so your arguement is completely irrelevant.

Pioneer13 05-29-2008 02:46 PM

Wease is the poster who isn't wearing one already. I took JLHockeyKnightRU's post as saying he switched from one cage to another and got better vision with the new one. Maybe I misread.

And my point in referencing a goalie mask is just to prove that some cages will offer better vision than others. Not sure how old you are but "cats eye" cages were the norm for skaters at the amateur level up until about 1990. Safety issues (you could easily fit a stick blade into one of the larger openings) are the only reason they aren't around anymore.

RobertKron 05-30-2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deangamblin (Post 14244337)
Actually my statement is completely true in this case, if he's not wearing now already, and now goes to a cage tell me how exactly does a cage "improve" his vision? simple, it doesn't. And it's not necessarily "better" vision. No cage in the world will give you better vision more than no cage at all. A cage may make it "easier" to see but not necessarily better. I've used a bauer 5000 combo with cage. I barely noticed the bars were even there.
And last point, he's not a goalie so your arguement is completely irrelevant.

He was speaking of his own experience of the cage, which gave him better vision than the previous cage he was using, which goes to reason that it has better sightlines than other cages on the market.

The goalie argument is relevant because it goes to show that not all cages are exactly the same. Since all goalies wear cages, they're a better example than skaters, since no skaters in the NHL retain their cages when they go pro.