HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Orpik vs. Commodore: who would you pay more? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=519833)

jBuds 05-27-2008 05:16 PM

Orpik vs. Commodore: who would you pay more?

We're talking about this on the Sabres board. Both are physical defenseman that are still relatively young and UFA's to be.

Commodore and Orpik are both 228 lbs., while Orpik is 6'2 and Commodore is 6'4. Commodore is 29, Orpik 28, and both can play gritty, mean, and physical. I'd call Commodore the more well-rounded of the two, but Orpik is a bit more intimidating physically IMO.

So your team needs physicality in the form of a guy who can play in the top-4. Which of the two would you pay more for their services? How much do you think they'll each receive? Who do you think is the better player for such a role?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 05-27-2008 05:35 PM

Orpik. He's much more mobile and faster than Commodore.

comrade 05-27-2008 05:51 PM

Commodore. He's a much better passer and he fights.

NFITO 05-27-2008 06:02 PM

all things being equal, I'd probably rather have Orpik. IMO his best hockey is yet to come... whereas Commodore I think has hit his ceiling where he'll likely play at for the next few years.

But in Buffalo's situation, I think that Commodore would be a better fit.

The sabres have a couple of young dmen coming up in Sekera and Weber... I think Commodore would provide a good veteran presence in that type of situation, being a more experienced player... and his right handed shot is also a bonus on a defense that doesn't have any otherwise.

Mike Farkas 05-27-2008 06:16 PM

Coming off this season, Orpik and by a large margin...Orpik can skate with one leg better than Commodore can with two...in these playoffs, Orpik has actually been [gasp] carrying the puck through the neutral zone and making decent passes...and he's not going way out of his way to make big hits anymore (as much)...Orpik has really started to finally "get it" the second half of this season...Commodore, meanwhile, was busy getting danced in this year's playoffs...

I think Commodore is headed down hill, while Orpik is progressing to the level we thought he was going to about 2 or 3 years ago...

Armond White 05-27-2008 06:20 PM

I honestly have never been impressed by Orpik. I've heard 4+ million for him...no thanks.

impeach estaalo 05-27-2008 06:27 PM

Commodore was total garbage when paired with anyone but Bret Hedican. If you want him on your team, prepare to pair him with a speedy puck-moving defenseman or he'll be a total liability. Commodore put up a bunch of fluky points two years ago and now thinks he's an offensive defenseman, so he constantly makes absolutely idiotic pinches that he almost never capitalizes on and that his (lack of) speed can't recover from.

He was probably the Hurricanes 5th best defenseman this season, which says a lot considering our defense sucks. He got outplayed by Gleason, Hedican, Seidenberg and arguably Kaberle.

The Fuhr* 05-27-2008 06:34 PM

Commodore looked good in Ottawa after he settled down. He was our most physical player in the playoffs and only really made one mostake going for a hit and coming out of position.

I loved that he just roamed the ice looking to cause physical play, I remember this one time on the PK he was behind the net smashing someone and when he was done there he looked towards the front of the net to see if he could cause havoc there but everyone left as if they did not want a piece of him.

In the right situation Commodore can be a fantastic player. Someone you can build your PK around.

Leroux 66 05-27-2008 07:03 PM

orpik by a large margin because he unlike commodore is very mobile, commodore is comparable in speed to hal gill and georges laraque. Commodore is vastly overrated.

jBuds 05-27-2008 08:28 PM

I just get scared that Orpik is playing top notch because it's a contract year. I know it can be argued that Commodore may have been doing the same, but I think we've seen Commodore play better for a longer time period compared to Orpik. More of a "you know what you're going to get"...

.. either way, I want one or both on the Sabres :D

Randall Ritchey 05-27-2008 09:19 PM

I'd be close, but I'd pick Orpik.

clumping platelets 05-28-2008 01:33 AM

Bring the hometown boy home

GernerPSU 05-28-2008 02:21 AM

I think Commy is a better player right now and his tiny offensive output is a hell of a lot more than Orpiks nonexistent. I think Orpik is just now putting it together and probably has more upside. Its very tough, but I like the bit of a gamble for Orpik.

66-29-33 05-28-2008 02:28 AM

Pens better keep orpik, he's finally turning into what he is supposed to be. To only have him to develope into what he was supposed to be would suck balls. It will feel like the Rozsival situation for me kinda. Always injured here, then goes to a new place and is good there, we get stuck with Meliturd thankfully not anymore. If we lose Orpik we BETTER get a similar player in a trade.

KenAF 05-28-2008 06:37 AM

Orpik without a doubt. He can keep up with many faster, first-line forwards. Commodore cannot do that consistently and relies on his partner.

flannelman 05-28-2008 08:36 AM

I think Orpik would probably be a better fit for Buffalo. But I think both will stumbled upon 3.5 or more.

The Thomas J.* 05-28-2008 08:53 AM

I like both players, but If given the choice I take Orpik, he is better on his skates than commodore.

Pittsburgh Proud 05-28-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO (Post 14228807)
all things being equal, I'd probably rather have Orpik. IMO his best hockey is yet to come... whereas Commodore I think has hit his ceiling where he'll likely play at for the next few years.

But in Buffalo's situation, I think that Commodore would be a better fit.

The sabres have a couple of young dmen coming up in Sekera and Weber... I think Commodore would provide a good veteran presence in that type of situation, being a more experienced player... and his right handed shot is also a bonus on a defense that doesn't have any otherwise.

You hit the nail on the head. But yeah Orpik is definetly faster too.

Pittsburgh Proud 05-28-2008 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheektovanek (Post 14228968)
I've heard 4+ million for him...no thanks.

You heard wrong.

Habs 4 Life 05-28-2008 09:57 AM

Commodore

JTG 05-28-2008 10:01 AM

You can't appreciate Brooks Orpik unless you see him for an entire season. The guy will do absolutely anything he has to to win. And 4 million is his ceiling as far as salary in concerned. Reason being is potential. He has the potential to be a shutdown defenseman. I see him signing in the neighborhood of 3-3.5

New Sabres Captain 05-28-2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GernerPSU (Post 14230790)
I think Commy is a better player right now and his tiny offensive output is a hell of a lot more than Orpiks nonexistent. I think Orpik is just now putting it together and probably has more upside. Its very tough, but I like the bit of a gamble for Orpik.

From the Sabres board POV, I don't think the offense is really that important. The general consensus is to get a more physical defense by adding a stay-at-home type.

One other difference is that Orpik shoots left, Commodore shoots right, so that make Commodore more appealing. But I think that Orpik will be the better player in a few years.

Kaktus* 05-28-2008 10:53 AM

which one won SC? Enough said.

trentmccleary 05-28-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flannelman (Post 14231593)
I think Orpik would probably be a better fit for Buffalo. But I think both will stumbled upon 3.5 or more.

Sweet Jesus! :amazed:

But... I do agree. One or both of these #4-5 D-men will be grossly overpaid and that's why my answer to this question is that I hope my team stays the **** away from both! :rant:

jb** 05-28-2008 11:43 AM

I donít think either of them are top 4 dmen. Orpik I belive will get paid more though. Surprisingly like a long line of other players he has stepped up his play in a contract year. Not impressed with commodore really.