HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Mat Sundin (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=519884)

brawllover8 05-27-2008 08:12 PM

Mat Sundin

He will either re sign with the Leafs or retire,

But IF he chooses to make a come back with another team,

how much would you pay him?

(notice the bold word "IF")

Mr Shanahan 05-27-2008 08:17 PM

Firstly, it's Mats.. I hate it when people say or spell it wrong.

Secondly, I would say around 4-5 mill with a NTC if he signs with Toronto. Anywhere else, he wouldn't ask for one.

birddog* 05-27-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brawllover8 (Post 14230465)
He will either re sign with the Leafs or retire,

But IF he chooses to make a come back with another team,

how much would you pay him?

(notice the bold word "IF")

Read an article today or was it Bill Watters of Leafs Linch that said some team is tampering and offering him 9 million....

My take Sundin signs somehwere else when was the last time the Leafs didn't screw something up?

DeveinedPgBc 05-28-2008 01:59 AM

the canucks have room to offer him 5-6 a year on a two year deal.IMO

Iggy-4-50 05-28-2008 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birddog (Post 14230529)
Read an article today or was it Bill Watters of Leafs Linch that said some team is tampering and offering him 9 million....

My take Sundin signs somehwere else when was the last time the Leafs didn't screw something up?

Bill Waters is an idiot, and any team/GM willing to give Sundin 9 million deserves to be relocated to Mexico. and this coming from a fan of Mats.

Snotbubbles 05-28-2008 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birddog (Post 14230529)

Wouldn't the best thing for the Leaf's to do is not re-sign Sundin, be really bad and hope that some of the vets with NTCs want to waive them.

I thought I read somewhere that if the Leafs miss the playoffs Kaberle's NTC gets voided. To me, if I'm a Leaf GM I want to be as bad as possible this year, hopefully get McCabe, Tucker, Kaberle traded. Draft high (hoping for the #1) and get some young talent in here to develop.

Z0S0 05-28-2008 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fosterchild420 (Post 14230917)
the canucks have room to offer him 5-6 a year on a two year deal.IMO

first off, you can throw out that 2yr deal, Sundin has clearly stated that he wants to play his career year by year so he isint signing anything over a year.

Second I really dont see him signing anywhere other then toronto

flannelman 05-28-2008 07:28 AM

I can't see him anywhere else but in a Leaf uni at this pt in his career. I'm sure 5-6 is more than fair - he's still got plenty of talent.

Sotnos 05-28-2008 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snotbubbles (Post 14231521)
I thought I read somewhere that if the Leafs miss the playoffs Kaberle's NTC gets voided.

Kubina has that clause in his contract, not sure about Kaberle.

Can't see Sundin signing anywhere else at this point, though he could probably get a lot of money from someone.

Blind Gardien 05-28-2008 08:17 AM

1-year $7.5M to play for the Habs next season.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 05-28-2008 08:25 AM

Pens could offer him 7 next season. He'd be their perfect one-year solution, actually.

Too bad it'll never happen.

NFITO 05-28-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TML4ever (Post 14230520)
Firstly, it's Mats.. I hate it when people say or spell it wrong.

Secondly, I would say around 4-5 mill with a NTC if he signs with Toronto. Anywhere else, he wouldn't ask for one.

why is that?

It only makes sense to demand a NTC wherever he is, given that it doesn't mean he won't be traded, it just means that he has the ultimate say in if he wants to go, and where he ends up, just like he had in TO. Why would he give up that option with another team, when it's a given that a player with his experience will be able to get that clause with any contract, on any team he signs with?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pogge4Life

I also thought that Sundin wouldn't sign with any other team but TO, until seeing how things unraveled at the deadline... he clearly wants to continue playing hockey, and if the Leafs decide that they need a change in direction and don't re-sign him - or he sees the situation in TO going every more into rebuilding, with a new coach, new set of core players and new direction, I could see Sundin wanting to go somewhere else in the last year or two of his career.

I didn't think that Forsberg would play anywhere other than Colorado either, but he's moved... and I never thought that Smyth would want to be anywhere else either, but he signed longterm with a division rival instead of returning to the city where everyone knew his heart was at. There are no guarantees with Sundin either IMO.

Dick Whitman 05-28-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pogge4Life (Post 14231527)
first off, you can throw out that 2yr deal, Sundin has clearly stated that he wants to play his career year by year so he isint signing anything over a year.

People said the same thing about Ray Bourque.

Gobias Industries 05-28-2008 10:32 AM

I think a 1-2 year deal should be in the range of 7 million..

Mats is a great player, I'd love to see him on a competitive team...

Pinto 05-28-2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sotnos (Post 14231731)
Kubina has that clause in his contract, not sure about Kaberle.

Can't see Sundin signing anywhere else at this point, though he could probably get a lot of money from someone.

Kubina has it this year, Kaberle next if they miss the playoffs again.

And as Pogge4Life said, Sundin has made it pretty clear he will only sign 1 year deals. IMO Sundin will be back if the new GM chooses to sign him, if not I'm sure he could get a lot of money somewhere else.

TOML 05-28-2008 10:45 AM

Question:

If Mats is let go, then who'll replace him? There isn't exactly a plethora of franchise centermen UFA's out there to sign.

► I suppose they could give Jeff Carter an insane offer sheet. But i'd expect him to be locked up by Philly fairly shortly.

► Could also work a deal for Marleau, Cammalleri or Jokinen.

► Or just tank next season for Tavares. This should be option #1, really. Usher in a complete, PROPER rebuild. But I highly doubt it'll happen.

Pinto 05-28-2008 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs (Post 14232846)
Question:

If Mats is let go, then who'll replace him? There isn't exactly a plethora of franchise centermen UFA's out there to sign.

► I suppose they could give Jeff Carter an insane offer sheet. But i'd expect him to be locked up by Philly fairly shortly.

► Could also work a deal for Marleau, Cammalleri or Jokinen.

► Or just tank next season for Tavares. This should be option #1, really. Usher in a complete, PROPER rebuild. But I highly doubt it'll happen.

You can't replace a Mats Sundin. If he's let go I unfortunately see a half-ass attempt to replace him coming, and some Leaf fans will finally realize how go he was/is

ACC1224 05-28-2008 11:33 AM

He could get 9 - 10 mil easily on a one year deal.

TOML 05-28-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACC1224 (Post 14233256)
He could get 9 - 10 mil easily on a one year deal.

► If his priority is to win a cup before retiring, wouldn't that cap hit be a huge hindrance towards that goal? Think half that at the most if he's leaving TO to win a cup.

Gobias Industries 05-28-2008 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs (Post 14233287)
► If his priority is to win a cup before retiring, wouldn't that cap hit be a huge hindrance towards that goal? Think half that at the most if he's leaving TO to win a cup.

I almost question how low the PA would let him go..

I can't imagine him signing for less than 5-6...

ACC1224 05-28-2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs (Post 14233287)

I have no idea of other teams cap situations but I imagine if said team was that close to the cap they would look elsewhere or figure it out.

Verbal Kint* 05-28-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs (Post 14232846)

Yay. A 48% chance at getting the player we want, if our team manages to suck worse than any other team in the league. Sounds swell.

VelvetJones 05-28-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatanaKid (Post 14234493)
Yay. A 48% chance at getting the player we want, if our team manages to suck worse than any other team in the league. Sounds swell.

The draft is not Tavares or bust.

Snotbubbles 05-28-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatanaKid (Post 14234493)

Option B.

Re-sign Sundin and only kinda suck. With 0% chance of getting the player you want and maybe a 50% chance of making the playoffs in 2008-2009. Then maybe a worse chance in 2009-2010 assuming you don't then re-re-sign Sundin.

nikolai19 05-28-2008 03:53 PM

Is it for Mat or both Mats? I would sign the better of the two...

\sarcasm on