HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Habs looking for a depth goaltender! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=520442)

Chomsky 05-29-2008 11:40 PM

Habs looking for a depth goaltender!

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/252686.html

Translation coming up..

Quote:

Don't think Price or Halak will not be playing in Montreal next season, but the Canadiens are still looking for reinforcement at this position for the years to come.

Rolanson met with both goalies after the playoffs and asked Price to train at the gym and try to better deal with his emotions during practices and games.

"We need to remind ourselves he's only 20 years old, but the way he plays make us sometimes think he's 30. We need to give him a chance to fully develop himself", says Melanson. "It's one thing to work on your technique, but he's the one on the ice when things get ugly and he must learn to deal in those games."

Halak will also have a more important role with the team next season. Even though he doesn't have a contract with the team yet , we can expect him to be back and to see him more often.

"The only thing I want to see from Halak is to compete against Price and push him to perform. He must try to take over the number one role." Halak still has the possibility to be number one in the NHL, explains Rolanson.

With the departure of Huet and possibly Danis, the Canadiens will need help in front of the net next season, especially in Hamilton. Even though the organization can draft one or two goaltenders this year, they will not turn pros until a few seasons.

Cedrick Desjardins, who's in the ECHL final as we speak, should be back with the Bulldogs next season, leaving one spot for another goaltender.

"With the Dogs, we'll try and sign another goalie which qualify as a good number three. If injuries happen, he could back up Price or Halak. I'd be more comfortable with Desjardins as number two in Hamilton with a veteran mentoring him", says Melanson.

Thus, it will be interesting to see which goalie Montreal will invite to their next development camp at the beginning of July. It appears evident that the organization will try to find a player would will bring more depth in the pipeline.

Ice Poutine 05-29-2008 11:45 PM

yeah, for Hamilton mostly. Or even to be a 3rd goalie after Price and Halak if anything happened since Danis is UFA and the kids are still developing.

Analyzer 05-29-2008 11:51 PM

They can let Danis go, I don't mind. haha.

Desjardins deserves a chance. I forgot about him, so give him a chance anyways!

Lucius 05-29-2008 11:58 PM

Basically nothing there we couldn't have assumed, but good to hear it from Melanson.

A summary for those who don't speak French:

Melanson said the team is going to seek a veteran #3 goalie to start in Hamilton, while Desjardins backs him up. Someone who can step in if there are injuries and fill the backup role in Montreal. Halak and Price will be with the big club next year. The article also notes that Danis will likely be gone.

Ice Poutine 05-30-2008 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucius (Post 14252027)

A summary for those who don't speak French:

Melanson said the team is going to seek a veteran #3 goalie to start in Hamilton, while Desjardins backs him up. Someone who can step in if there are injuries and fill the backup role in Montreal. Halak and Price will be with the big club next year. The article also notes that Danis will likely be gone.

Hey, i just said that in a shorter version here:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=14251944&postcount=2

:laugh::laugh:

Agnostic 05-30-2008 04:57 AM

The positive that can be gleaned from this story - Melanson sees a future that includes possible healthy competition for the number 1 spot.

I was uncomfortable with the idea of pre-ordaining Price as an unchallengeable 60 start-a-year goaltender when a young ambitious Halak was in the fold. It seems that, subject to the decisions of the head coach of course, there is open mindedness in the coaching ranks.

beowulf 05-30-2008 06:02 AM

Nice to hear. I wonder who they might get their hands on.

Boris Le Tigre 05-30-2008 06:49 AM

Some ufa guys who could provide depth... JS Aubin, B Boucher, S Clemmensen, W Flaherty, M Leighton, M Morrison, S Valiquette. Taken from this list http://www.nhlscap.com/2008fa_position.htm#goalie . I think one of these guys could do the job and give the Habs the insurance they need.

montreal 05-30-2008 07:01 AM

I hope they sign 2 goalies and draft one either this summer or next. I'd like to see them get a solid vet to be the 3rd string goalie and I'd like to see them pick up a CHL overager or NCAA free agent to be a rookie in Cincy like they did with Desjardins.

Ice Poutine 05-30-2008 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris La Tigre (Post 14253125)
Some ufa guys who could provide depth... JS Aubin, B Boucher, S Clemmensen, W Flaherty, M Leighton, M Morrison, S Valiquette. Taken from this list http://www.nhlscap.com/2008fa_position.htm#goalie . I think one of these guys could do the job and give the Habs the insurance they need.

I doubt they'd take Leighton as the Habs let him go before this season.

Habs10Habs 05-30-2008 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris La Tigre (Post 14253125)

Some nice choices BLT, I really like that Valiquette. Everytime I saw him play for the Rags, he seemed to play quite well.

Habs 4 Life 05-30-2008 07:52 AM

What about Kolzig if he takes a huge pay cut?

Habitants 05-30-2008 08:10 AM

yeah basically they are looking for an NHL calibre goalie to play the starting position in Hamilton.

yes desjardins deserves some playing time in hamilton, but if something came up would you be comfortable with him starting an NHL game for you? i think not..

so i went to look at the goalie UFA list since that is likely where the solution will come from. lets keep the theo and huet singing to a minimum...
we know that most of the guys in red are not likely possibilities, as they would not want to play in the minors.

Player Age Team Pos 2008 FA Status 07/08 Cap Number 07/08 Salary

Theodore, Jose 30 COL G UFA 5.333 6.000
Kolzig, Olaf 37 WAS G UFA 5.450 5.450
Huet, Cristobal 31 WAS G UFA 2.875 2.750

Hasek, Dominik 42 DET G UFA 4.050 2.050
Joseph, Curtis 40 CGY G UFA 1.500 1.500
Grahame, John 31 CAR G UFA 1.400 1.400
Hedberg, Johan 34 ATL G UFA 1.000 1.150
Holmqvist, Johan 29 DAL G UFA 1.000 1.000

Lalime, Patrick 32 CHI G UFA 0.950 0.950
Thibault, Jocelyn 32 BUF G UFA 0.760 0.760
Valiquette, Stephen 29 NYR G UFA 0.618 0.635
Aebischer, David 29 PHX G UFA 0.600 0.600
Auld, Alex 26 BOS G UFA 0.600 0.600
Sanford, Curtis 27 VAN G UFA 0.600 0.600
Leighton, Michael 26 CAR G UFA 0.550 0.550
Aubin, Jean-Sebastien 29 ANA G UFA 0.525 0.525
Morrison, Mike 27 NYI G UFA 0.525 0.525
Brathwaite, Fred 34 ATL G UFA 0.500 0.500
Cassivi, Frederic 32 WAS G UFA 0.500 0.500
Clemmensen, Scott 29 TOR G UFA 0.500 0.500
Conklin, Ty 31 PIT G UFA 0.500 0.500
Dubielewicz, Wade 28 NYI G UFA 0.500 0.500
Ellis, Dan 27 NAS G UFA 0.500 0.500
Sigalet, Jordan 26 BOS G UFA 0.500 0.500
Boucher, Brian 30 SJS G UFA 0.490 0.490

looking at the list, my picks would be
Lalime
Aubin
Boucher

LilWinger11 05-30-2008 08:38 AM

I'd sign Thibault, solely so we wouldn't have to worry about him getting another ******* shutout against us.

:sarcasm:

Habs10Habs 05-30-2008 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilWinger11 (Post 14253522)
I'd sign Thibault, solely so we wouldn't have to worry about him getting another ******* shutout against us.

:sarcasm:

lol...I was just looking at all the french canadian goalies on the list thinking the same thing.

Boris Le Tigre 05-30-2008 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs10Habs (Post 14253285)
Some nice choices BLT, I really like that Valiquette. Everytime I saw him play for the Rags, he seemed to play quite well.

No problem. That site is a great resource and is updated regularly. I like the idea of signing two goalies as well (brought up by Montreal, the vet 3rd stringer, and the FA or mid-round draft pick).

Valiquette had a great year last year. He'd be ideal. Any of those guys can play a handful of games, and be a #1 AHL guy (or split time). Too much playing time at the NHL level and they're most likely exposed, but who knows, some goalies (like T. Thomas) become consistent performers at a later age.

It's my preference in the draft to look for a goaltending prospect in the mid-rounds. I'd prefer that the club doesn't take a goalie in the 1st or 2nd. The parity of the league and the quality of goaltending seems to have effected the market for goaltenders and the trade yields for unproven goalies are not good. In a nutshell, I don't think a young goalie is as good a trade asset as a young skater, in future considerations. The mid to late rounds or the FA route seem like the smarter move, given our current depth and team/prospect make-up.

Bryzga lol* 05-30-2008 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Poutine (Post 14253215)

And it looks like he'll back up Ward next season. Grahame was pathetic.

Whitesnake 05-30-2008 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs10Habs (Post 14253285)

Same here. Though this guy is a backup in the NHL now. Would he accept being a #1 in the AHL? He would be my #1 choice, but Habs won't be his. Pretty certain he's expecting not only a backup role but at least 15-20ish games. If for whatever reason, they want to trade Halak before the start of the season, well so be it and he will get his 15ish games. But with Halak, the guy will head back to the AHL? No way.

I would try to make a move for either Sabourin or Conklin. Whoever is the odd man out. That way, if the right opportunity comes, we might not hesitate to trade Halak that way.

Might not be the same if we sign guys like Leighton, Aubin or Clemmensen, who could be my other guys I would want.

Chomsky 05-30-2008 10:19 AM

Quote:

Just to clarify things, we didn't let him go, but traded him at the draft day for an extra pick.

YMCMBeaulieu 05-30-2008 03:00 PM

I'd like to see Aubin signed, I remember 2 years ago he was sick down the stretch with the Leafs and he put up some pretty solid numbers last year in the AHL too.

Chomsky 05-30-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 (Post 14256721)
I'd like to see Aubin signed, I remember 2 years ago he was sick down the stretch with the Leafs and he put up some pretty solid numbers last year in the AHL too.

I wouldn't mind him at all. He's a competent third goaltender.

Lone Rogue 05-30-2008 03:05 PM

There is an NHL goaltender who right now is on the downswing of his career. He doesn't seem to be able to find a way to get himself in the good graces of his club, and as a Hamilton native, he could be great for the Bulldogs. We could even call him up once in a while if need be, and due to his past problems, I doubt he'll be grabbed on waivers.

Ray Emery anyone? ;)

WeThreeKings 05-30-2008 03:17 PM

I don't understand the comment about Price being the only on the ice when things get ugly?

Anyone make sense of this for me?

Analyzer 05-30-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Traded him at the draft for a 7th, so doubt he's coming back.

Chomsky 05-30-2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeThreeKings (Post 14256889)
I don't understand the comment about Price being the only on the ice when things get ugly?

Anyone make sense of this for me?

"Il faut se rappeler qu’il a seulement 20 ans. De la façon dont il joue, on pense parfois qu’il a 30 ans. Il faut lui donner la chance de se développer", explique Melanson. "C’est une chose de travailler sur sa technique, mais c’est lui qui est sur la glace lors des situations difficiles et il doit apprendre à gérer des parties".

Word for word translation:

"We need to remind ourselves he's only 20 years old, but the way he plays make us sometimes think he's 30. We need to give him a chance to fully develop himself", says Melanson. "It's one thing to work on your technique, but he's the one on the ice when difficult situations arise and he must learn to deal them."