HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Chris Kelly (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=520446)

BDubinskyNYR17* 05-30-2008 12:16 AM

Chris Kelly

I know we dont need another 4th liner but he is the same age as betts and more offensive.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...e=nhl-senators

we can use betts as bait. not saying he has much value but if we can upgrade scoring from our bottom lines it must be done. Kelly is also good on faceoffs and plays pk

I Eat Crow 05-30-2008 12:18 AM

No thanks. He isn't as good of a penalty killer as Betts.

BDubinskyNYR17* 05-30-2008 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr (Post 14252161)
No thanks. He isn't as good of a penalty killer as Betts.

true but hed add more offense to our team. we got other good penalty killers.

n8 05-30-2008 12:36 AM

I think we need a upgrade over Betts but Kelly is not the answer. Pass.

NYR469 05-30-2008 08:27 AM

we do NOT need an upgrade over betts. betts has turned into one of the best 4th line centers in the league, he's fantastic on the PK and hugely underrated...the place we need on upgrade on the 4th line is the wingers. betts is between echlers, but him with 2 guys that can skate and the line would be greatly improved.

BDubinskyNYR17* 05-30-2008 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469 (Post 14253449)
we do NOT need an upgrade over betts. betts has turned into one of the best 4th line centers in the league, he's fantastic on the PK and hugely underrated...the place we need on upgrade on the 4th line is the wingers. betts is between echlers, but him with 2 guys that can skate and the line would be greatly improved.

sjostrom an echl :shakehead he scored more goals than Betts ever did and has alot more natural skill, too bad he is like dvorak and shows it once in a while

SingnBluesOnBroadway 05-30-2008 09:10 AM

Is the answer to this team's problems really upgrading Blair Betts?

SingnBluesOnBroadway 05-30-2008 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCallahan43 (Post 14252151)
I know we dont need another 4th liner but he is the same age as betts and more offensive.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...e=nhl-senators

we can use betts as bait. not saying he has much value but if we can upgrade scoring from our bottom lines it must be done. Kelly is also good on faceoffs and plays pk

Look at his salary. Look at Betts'.

NYR469 05-30-2008 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCallahan43 (Post 14253548)
sjostrom an echl :shakehead he scored more goals than Betts ever did and has alot more natural skill, too bad he is like dvorak and shows it once in a while

betts played with sjostrom only a few games...the 4th line was hollweg-betts-orr for the majority of the year

DubiDubiDoo 05-30-2008 09:26 AM

i love what betts brings to the table...he's cheap and effective and seems to be a good team guy. So long at he's not stealing minutes away from guys that should be scoring on the top 3 lines, we should accept his lack of scoring the same as we accept his great penalty killing. Not to mention I,d love to see him play a season with someone other than hollweg (not that i think his numbers would shoot up or anything, but we may get the occasional 4th line goal) who is always out of position off trying to make a hit...

jniklast 05-30-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 14253716)

that was about what i was thinking...
betts imho is the 4th line center with the best performance per dollar rating by far, so we better keep him

RANGERS2448 05-30-2008 11:14 AM

Betts is the last guy i would want to lose

AJ1982 05-30-2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANGERS2448 (Post 14254610)
Betts is the last guy i would want to lose

Lundqvist.

Nich 05-30-2008 12:21 PM

dude...seriously????? what are you smoking? and where can i get some.

of course we didn't advance farther in the playoffs due to Blair's lack of offensive ability.....:shakehead

say it with me, the 4th line is not meant to score, it is meant to keep the other team from scoring......man what a glutton for punishment.....

n8 05-30-2008 01:21 PM

I'll revise my statement. We don't need to upgrade Betts. He is not or near our biggest problem. I'm not so sure better wingers would enhance his offensive ability. I've seen him botch enough scoring opportunities to think so. His defense and PK are stellar and his salary value is great. It'd be nice if he had an extra step in his skating but that's really nitpicking. His offense however really is lacking. If he was putting up 30 points a season, I would definitely say that he is perfect 4th liner.

Chris Kelly is not the answer because while he can score 30 points and kill penalties and probably skates better than Betts, I doubt he is better that Betts is on defense and PK and will likely demand a 2nd line center type of contract. Plus Kelly plays 2nd line type minutes so putting him on the 4th line would just be dumb.

BobMarleyNYR 05-30-2008 03:46 PM

Betts has more value than you'd imagine these days.

danno2530 05-30-2008 06:52 PM

Blair Betts is one of the most valuable players on this team for what he does..there's no reason to replace him.

NYR Viper 05-30-2008 07:44 PM

looking at this team, if the rangers werent to bring jagr back, he would most likely get an "A".....he has a lot more value than people think around here and while it would be nice to get more production out of the 4th line, i think he could produce more if he had two actual linemates....and while i like orr, he isnt offensive at all

True Blue 05-30-2008 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 14253716)

Clearly. The problems of this team stem from Hollweg & Betts. Replace them and all is well.

blandBob 05-30-2008 11:20 PM

Betts is a very effective player. And he is worth two or three, maybe four Sjostroms (now there is a guy who is marginal). We'd miss Betts if we got rid of him.

NYReign 05-30-2008 11:43 PM

Absolutely right about Sjo being marginal, at least from what we have seen thus far... This is coming from a Sjo fan but aside from two timely goals he did next to nothing. Granted he played with Betts (who I am in no rush to get rid of, just acknowledging he's next to useless on offense) and Hollweg/Orr (useless on offense) for the better part of his stay here. I think they will bring Sjo back based on his friendship with Hank, his inclusion in team marketing (that's a signal to me that he'll be around at least next year) and the high price we paid for him (I'll be very pissed if we traded Montoya for cents on the dollar without him ever getting to the NHL for someone who played less than 30 games for us).

To stay on topic, Betts is not in any way marginal and, as many have said, is among the best 4th liners and PKers in the league, especially considering the price. He may not be a playmaker, but he has the occassional offensive spark (see goal vs. Anaheim last season). Considering we pay him for defense and PK, I'll take that. As I mentioned before, it's better than the production we (don't) get from Hollweg and Orr. I know that isn't Orr's role, and while he could fight more I have no problem with him. Hollweg, as we all know, needs to go. I'm certain he isn't the biggest problem with the team but the fact that he managed to become a problem in his five minutes of ice time in multiple games including a must-win playoff game is pathetic and I hope we don't see him in Ranger blue again...

NYR Viper 05-31-2008 11:11 AM

i think sjo has the ability to put up 15 goals and 40 points next year if he was to play on the third line...his speed is unreal and he has the ability to forecheck well and get to the puck....he reminds me of afenigenov with more hockey sense and beter defensive awareness

squishy 05-31-2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 (Post 14262665)
he reminds me of afenigenov with more hockey sense and beter defensive awareness

And about 1/10th the natural skill. ;)

NYR Viper 05-31-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squishy (Post 14262866)
And about 1/10th the natural skill. ;)

nah...i dont think afinigenov is that skilled....really....he is in an open system in buffalo...plus his hockey IQ is horrible....i think sjostrom could replace all that skill with his hockey IQ because he is a far better all-around player

True Blue 05-31-2008 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYReign (Post 14260421)
but the fact that he managed to become a problem in his five minutes of ice time in multiple games including a must-win playoff game is pathetic and I hope we don't see him in Ranger blue again...

Again, I really need to ask how is it that the playoff loss is pinned on Hollweg's dumb two minute penalty, but not on Callahan's idiotic 4 minute penalty that also resulted in a goal?

The fact of the matter is that Hollweg hardly ever takes bad penalties. Yes, some of his hits are borderline, but the fact of the matter is that most are completely clean. He is a missle out there. Who else is going hit as much, given the relative little ice time? And this team needs all of the physical, grinding play that it can get.