HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Rumor: Weber watns around 5 million (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=520607)

Hale The Villain 05-30-2008 04:03 PM

Rumor: Weber watns around 5 million

Alright here it is

My Family just bought a house in Kelowna. The people living in the house are friends with Shea Weber and are fans of the Rockets. Recently my father was talking with the man who we bought our house from, and he was golfing a week ago with Shea Weber. He said that Weber wants around 5 million a season, but he didn't say how many years.

Sorry no link, you will just have to trust me

triggrman 05-30-2008 04:35 PM

I trust that, it sounds fair... I'd love for them to get him locked up for 5 years at that rate.

Joe T Choker 05-30-2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 14257616)
I trust that, it sounds fair... I'd love for them to get him locked up for 5 years at that rate.

same here ... I think last year was a fluke for him ... especially with the knee cap injury ... we really need a few more dehumidifier machines inside the Sommet

worstfaceoffmanever 05-30-2008 04:53 PM

I'd really like to see him play one more year like 06/07 before I commit big money... but if that's the only way we can keep him, so be it. But it means we have to get De Vries off the roster to clear payroll so we can keep him and Suter both.

predhead1 05-30-2008 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 14257799)
But it means we have to get De Vries off the roster to clear payroll so we can keep him and Suter both.

The term "win-win" comes to mind.

Enoch 05-30-2008 08:10 PM

Weber simply did not play at anywhere near 5 million dollar value last year. Most of that is due to injury, and I do think he will be worth that plus more in the long run.....This contract is going to be very tricky. I'd either go cheap on a 1-2 year deal, or balls to the wall with a 7+ year deal.

predhead1 05-30-2008 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 14259170)
Weber simply did not play at anywhere near 5 million dollar value last year. Most of that is due to injury, and I do think he will be worth that plus more in the long run.....This contract is going to be very tricky. I'd either go cheap on a 1-2 year deal, or balls to the wall with a 7+ year deal.

Agreed, but you have to ask yourself which year was the aberration - his rookie season where he played very well both ways, or last season, where he was injured and never really seemed to get on track. I'm betting we'll see more of the former from Weber in the years to come, but I agree that if he's getting 5M per year, you have to go very long-term on the deal to make it worth it.

jstreet 05-31-2008 10:27 PM

If we dont go long term, someone else will.

Warm Cookies 05-31-2008 10:35 PM

People are talking about Brooks Orpik getting around 4 mil per. If Nashville could get Weber for 5 on a long-term, they need to push over old ladies to get it done.

God 05-31-2008 10:36 PM

From the point of view of an outsider, that's overpayment.

He had a great 06-07 season, but we didn't get to see him play much in 07-08 because of that injury. A one year deal at 3-4 million is probably in Weber's best interests; I can maybe see 5 mil in a long term deal.

Guillemin 05-31-2008 11:01 PM

Most players have enough grace not to discuss their salary demands with people not involved with the league. Those people almost always end up talking to reporters.

There are some very obvious exceptions.

hexrae 05-31-2008 11:14 PM

Give it to him, he draws comparisons of Phaneuf (who is going to earn 6.5 million). No one watches Nashville games, so they don't see how good he really is.

bngkiller* 05-31-2008 11:19 PM

this is a high risk/high reward situation, if you sign him to a 1 year deal and he puts up 06-07 #'s then he will want more, but if you sign him longterm and he puts up those numbers, poile will look like a genious

worstfaceoffmanever 06-01-2008 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hexrae (Post 14268456)
Give it to him, he draws comparisons of Phaneuf (who is going to earn 6.5 million). No one watches Nashville games, so they don't see how good he really is.

:shakehead Those Phaneuf comparisons are a bit premature.

Phaneuf has pwned the Western Conference for the last 3 years.

Weber has done it consistently for one.

THAT is the reason Phaneuf is getting $6.5M a year contract and it's also the reason Weber should NOT be getting one. There's a difference in paying for potential and overpaying for potential.

I say we sign him to a reasonable deal ($3.5M a year-ish) up until the last year of RFA-eligibility and then sign him to a massive deal in that last RFA year, provided he matches his 06/07 production or at least gets close.

koncepts 06-01-2008 12:37 AM

is suter and weber RFA's ? have they been given contracts already ?

Johnny8242 06-01-2008 01:51 AM

I would say around that would be a good deal.

krantan 06-01-2008 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 14268855)
THAT is the reason Phaneuf is getting $6.5M a year contract and it's also the reason Weber should NOT be getting one. There's a difference in paying for potential and overpaying for potential.

$1.5m a year over a 7-8 year (assuming) contract is a really big difference. The difference alone in those salaries would be enough for you and your children to live comfortably even if you never worked another day in your life.

Quote:

I say we sign him to a reasonable deal ($3.5M a year-ish) up until the last year of RFA-eligibility and then sign him to a massive deal in that last RFA year, provided he matches his 06/07 production or at least gets close.

I don't think that gives you much of a discount. You will be much better off in the long run (factoring in the next contract) by locking him up longterm now, unless you are very uncomfortable with his development (ie you think it's very likely there won't be a next contract). It would probably be in the range of $10-12/3 years (~$3.5-4m per) to sign Suter to the type of contract you are talking about, and then if he ends up being the player most expect him to be (ie about where he was 2 years ago) it is going to cost $7-8m per to sign him at that point.

SmokeyClause 06-01-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Phaneuf has pwned the Western Conference for the last 3 years.

Correction: Phaneuf's hype has pwned the Western Conference for the last 3 years. Phaneuf's actual game has only been top notch for 1 year. In each of the previous two years, he was solid. But his hype far outmatched his game until this past season.

sparkle twin 06-02-2008 01:22 AM

If this is true....
I say sign him long term for the 5mil.

Weber came up in mid season in 05-06 and played very well and also played well in the playoffs that year. He followed that up with a strong season in 06-07. Then in 07-08 he had a fluke injury in the first few minutes of the first game then got injured on a horsecollar only a few games back from the original injury and was never really able to get on track offensively. But from a defensive standpoint he played great and was probably one of our best dmen all year. So to me that 5mil is no where near an overpayment for anything right now.

Upchuck19 06-02-2008 07:45 AM

The Preds are going to have to pay Shea what he wants or he will get it from nummerious other teams. Forget last years injuries, it doesn't matter.

Weber is a Premium Defenseman, if he doesn't get the money in Nashville he will get it somewhere else.

Street Hawk 06-06-2008 12:08 PM

Floor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upchuck19 (Post 14278546)
The Preds are going to have to pay Shea what he wants or he will get it from nummerious other teams. Forget last years injuries, it doesn't matter.

Weber is a Premium Defenseman, if he doesn't get the money in Nashville he will get it somewhere else.

The cap floor is going to be about $40 million next season. You're going to have to re-sign your RFA dmen to get there, might as well do it now, rather than match an offer sheet.

If you low-ball Weber, his agent could say, screw it, I'm going to shop Weber to the highest bidder. You want him, match a deal.

Pringles 06-06-2008 12:43 PM

would it be possible Hamhuis or Zidlicky could be traded to make room for Weber/Suter's salary and open a roster spot to one of the youngeer guys?

Joe T Choker 06-06-2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sens fan in Toronto (Post 14330761)
would it be possible Hamhuis or Zidlicky could be traded to make room for Weber/Suter's salary and open a roster spot to one of the youngeer guys?

yes please :nod: :yo:

YouAreStupid 06-06-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 14257616)

That would be a good deal.

How about 5 for 5?

Joe T Choker 06-06-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cob (Post 14330925)
That would be a good deal.

How about 5 for 5?

5 for 7 sounds better