HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rangers tied for 4th in Revenue (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=520670)

Burlington Bomb 26 05-30-2008 09:37 PM

Rangers tied for 4th in Revenue

The Rangers were the only American team in the top 5 for NHL's Revenue

1st-Toronto
2nd-Montreal
3rd-Vancouver
4th-New York Rangers, Calgary Flames
5th- Edmonton Oilers, Ottawa Senators

Maybe New York is the true Hockeytown, USA;)

http://www3.thestar.com/static/PDF/0...ts_revenue.pdf

NYR Viper 05-30-2008 09:54 PM

no doubt.....although i think hockey in the US has been picking up in the past few years in a bunch of cities like:

washington
buffalo
pittsburg
san jose
minnesota

and that list already includes
new york
colorado
detroit
boston
philadelphia

and in the near future i see a few more cities as getting into hockey(or back into):
chicago
st. louis
nashville
tampa bay

i think for all people say that hockey is a canadian sport, it is becoming more and more popular in the US.....THANK GOD(or whoever you believe in)

Jaromir Jagr 05-30-2008 09:56 PM

Hockey is a Canadian sport, yes. But it's not surprising were in the top 5 at all. I really see Chicago as being "one of those teams" within the next few years. They got a lot of young talent. I think they'll be the Chicago they were back in the day soon enough (give or take 3-4 years).

rickyrod 05-30-2008 09:59 PM

I don't know where we were last year, but most of the teams on this list changed their jersey style and probably sold way more than us, since we stayed the same. I'm sure that has something to do with it, especially in Vancouver's case. They love that eyesore of a jersey over there.

beastly115 05-30-2008 10:01 PM

All the more reason to have the Winter Classic game at Yankee stadium.

BlueBlooded 05-30-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaqup (Post 14259842)
All the more reason to have the Winter Classic game at Yankee stadium.

Ranger's revenue > Detroit's revenue
Islander's revenue > Chicago's revenue

:nod:

p.s. I know the stats are skewed based on ticket prices and number of seats so I don't want anybody to crucify me about this. Just wanted to point it out.

squishy 05-30-2008 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyrod (Post 14259837)
I don't know where we were last year, but most of the teams on this list changed their jersey style and probably sold way more than us, since we stayed the same. I'm sure that has something to do with it, especially in Vancouver's case. They love that eyesore of a jersey over there.

The numbers being discussed/referenced in the article are for ticket revenue only, merchandise isn't included.

BlueShirts88 05-30-2008 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueBlooded (Post 14259855)
Islander's revenue > Chicago's revenue.

That cant be true, can it? Chicago is an original 6 team.

bobbop 05-30-2008 11:33 PM

I understand this. I bought a ticket in Toronto for a game this year 11 rows off the ice in the corner with a $200 face value. (Fortunately I only paid the scalper $100) Amazing what they can charge for a regular season game.

NYReign 05-30-2008 11:47 PM

I know ESPN isn't the best source when it comes to hockey but in their box scores they provide percentage of attendance and when I take the time to look all the Canadian teams are almost always above 100% capacity. Since MSG as far as I know does not sell standing room, this is even more impressive and I don't think we have the highest capacity in the league (though I could be wrong). It shows how many fans we have and how many of them are loyal since we had to be close to selling out every game based on these numbers.

The Thomas J.* 05-31-2008 01:20 AM

What stuns me is Calgary being so high on that list, those guys were always claiming poverty & lossing money, & we are tied with them & considered among the leauges richest. Somthing doesn't make sense. :huh:

SupersonicMonkey* 05-31-2008 09:56 AM

Nobody mentions Minnesota, who has sold out every game of every year since their inception in 2000.

Minnesota is the biggest hockey town in the United States. Easily.

We have the largest market for one singular team, but as far as hockey as a sport, that goes to Minnesota.

nyrmessier011 05-31-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 (Post 14259690)
The Rangers were the only American team in the top 5 for NHL's Revenue

1st-Toronto
2nd-Montreal
3rd-Vancouver
4th-New York Rangers, Calgary Flames
5th- Edmonton Oilers, Ottawa Senators

Maybe New York is the true Hockeytown, USA;)

http://www3.thestar.com/static/PDF/0...ts_revenue.pdf

We're on the smaller end of most arena capacities too. This isn't something to really be proud of, it's a joke what the ticket prices have become. That 18.2% is purely increases in ticket prices because our attendance is identical from last year. This basically tripled already ridiculous inflation figures for the past year. We're all getting robbed every year by Jimmy.

n_a_c 05-31-2008 10:32 AM

That document says "ticket revenue". So it wouldn't include revenue from jerseys or TV. It probably doesn't include revenue from food & drink sold at the games. I bet the order would be somewhat different once you include everything into the mix.

It doesn't suprise me that Canadian teams rule in terms of ticket revenue, especially since the Canadian and US dollar are virtually equal now.

As to the Islanders beating Chicago, looks like Chicago is trending up and will surpass the fishsticks next year. But I wonder what percentage of the ticket revenue is from Ranger fans at the the 4 Ranger games played there. :)

Ola 05-31-2008 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_a_c (Post 14262397)
especially since the Canadian and US dollar are virtually equal now.

Compared to the Swedish Krona the USD is down with 50% compared to the all time high that was like 7-8 years ago. And probably like 30% the last year only.

That of course got a major impact on numbers like this...

broadwayblue 05-31-2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 (Post 14262307)
We're on the smaller end of most arena capacities too. This isn't something to really be proud of, it's a joke what the ticket prices have become. That 18.2% is purely increases in ticket prices because our attendance is identical from last year. This basically tripled already ridiculous inflation figures for the past year. We're all getting robbed every year by Jimmy.

And I shudder to think how much my seats will go up for next year. I dread opening that envelope which should be on its way pretty soon.

squishy 05-31-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 14262640)
And I shudder to think how much my seats will go up for next year. I dread opening that envelope which should be on its way pretty soon.

Just wait till the finish the renovations. ;)

pmorris 05-31-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 (Post 14262307)

And our team has barely gotten better over the past 3 years. True we sucked for a while, but I don't think suck is the right word--it's underachieved. Slats brought in proven all-stars like Lindros (who was a mess), Bure (who never played), Fleury (who I enjoyed watching play-we could've found worse), Nedved, Kovalev, and Holik (a fringe player who got All-star money). We went out the year before the lockout and got another star in Jagr, who could have very easily blown up in our face just like Lindros and Bure did. Instead he turns the team around and takes us to the playoffs. But until we get a bonafide 80+ points scorer who can do it next year and in future years (not 80+ point scorers in the twilight of their career like Jagr and Shanny) , we won't get to the Stanley cup finals. Crosby and Malkin and Co. are too good to beat if our best centers are fringe 1st line players like Drury, Gomez, and Dubinsky.

We need a goal scorer, so please Slats, go out and get hossa. At least if we're getting robbed by Jimmy, I can get robbed to watch a Stanley Cup Contending team instead of getting robbed to watch crap hockey. Cause you know the sob dolan is going to run those prices up no matter how many times we lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs.:rant:

Fletch 05-31-2008 08:47 PM

Sucked was the right word...

the teams were poorly constructed, poorly coached and yeah, they underperformed, but they underperformed to a point at which they sucked.

pmorris 06-01-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 14266432)
the teams were poorly constructed, poorly coached and yeah, they underperformed, but they underperformed to a point at which they sucked.

But I think we also got lucky w/ Jagr, to a point whre now the Rangers overperform. Jagr looked like another aged, whiny, overpriced superstar when he was traded here, just like Lindros and Bure, and he fit in quite nicely. I think it's more Sather was hammering a square peg in a circular hole by bringing all of these superstars, and finally that square peg was just kinda forced in there. But I don't think we're any different now than we were before the lockout, except for we now have a franchise goalie, a superstar who wants to play and not just soak up the nightlife, and prospects who are living up to their potential. Those big changes are enough to get us from the cellar to the playoffs, but the Dolans, being the incompetent thieves they are, think that making it to the 2nd round is the end-all, be-all of the world, when in reality, this team can be better. And the Dolans will make us pay like we're watching a Stanley Cup Champion team, when (although we're a player or two from becoming a serious contender next year), we're also a stroke of bad luck away from not making the playoffs, too.

nyrmessier011 06-01-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 14266432)

Understatement. Looking back I'm almost mad at myself for supporting them the way I did.