HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rangers squash Tortarella rumor (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=521870)

RangerBoy 06-04-2008 09:04 PM

Rangers squash Tortarella rumor

John Dellapina's blog

Quote:

Here’s a beauty that was making the rounds today - albeit one that several phone calls have assured me has no validity: Just-dismissed Tampa Bay coach John Tortorella takes over as Rangers head coach with Tom Renney moving back upstairs into a player personnel position as an assistant GM.

This is one of those rumors that makes plenty of sense depending upon your view of the two coaches in question. If you’re among those who believe Renney is a build-the-foundation guy (such as Roger Neilson) and Tortorella a finish-the-job guy (such as Mike Keenan), you might love this notion.

Similarly, Tortorella’s affection for New York and the Rangers’ franchise is unabashed. As is Renney’s selfless willingness to do whatever is best for the organization.

Only problem is the Rangers have no plans to replace Renney and haven’t reached out to Tortorella (though the well could do so soon to bring him back under the Rangers’ umbrella in some capacity)
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...-all-talk.html

beastly115 06-04-2008 09:12 PM

I never even knew this was a possibility. Wow.

The Thomas J.* 06-04-2008 09:31 PM

Let the rumor mill chun.
Bringing back Torts in any captaity in this Ranger orginization would be determental to Renny ho would always be looking over his shoulder.
Hopefully Torts gets another head coaching job b4 the season starts or early into the season, otherwise the rumors will continue.

RangerBoy 06-04-2008 09:46 PM

Renney will always have a position with the Rangers.Whether its HC,AGM or GM

NYR469 06-04-2008 09:48 PM

the ONLY place i heard this idea brought up is on message boards by crazy fans that think renney will be fired, despite being one of the most successful coaches in franchise history (yeah its a pretty pathetic history) because he doesn't scream like a lunatic and throw stuff

my guess is that the reason dellapina stuck this in his blog instead of making it an article is because 'making the rounds' means a bunch of fans emailed him asking, NOT that there were legit sources talking about it.

renney is going nowhere anytime soon...ron lowe missed the playoffs 3 straight years before he got fired, not a chance in hell sather/dolan fire renney after MAKING the playoffs 3 years in a row. that might not seem like a big deal (and oh how fast we forget 98-04) but for this franchise it IS. and when the rangers make the playoffs next year, renney will be only the 2nd coach in franchise history to make the playoffs each of his 1st 4 seasons behind the bench (the other was lester patrick back in the 20s). rational people that use logic, don't fire a guy like that

I Eat Crow 06-04-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469 (Post 14312777)
the ONLY place i heard this idea brought up is on message boards by crazy fans that think renney will be fired, despite being one of the most successful coaches in franchise history (yeah its a pretty pathetic history) because he doesn't scream like a lunatic and throw stuff

my guess is that the reason dellapina stuck this in his blog instead of making it an article is because 'making the rounds' means a bunch of fans emailed him asking, NOT that there were legit sources talking about it.

renney is going nowhere anytime soon...ron lowe missed the playoffs 3 straight years before he got fired, not a chance in hell sather/dolan fire renney after MAKING the playoffs 3 years in a row. that might not seem like a big deal (and oh how fast we forget 98-04) but for this franchise it IS. and when the rangers make the playoffs next year, renney will be only the 2nd coach in franchise history to make the playoffs each of his 1st 4 seasons behind the bench (the other was lester patrick back in the 20s). rational people that use logic, don't fire a guy like that

A bit presumptuous don't you think? ;)

These rumors don't surprise me at all. The only way I see Renney not coaching next season is if HE doesn't want to. Other than that, Renney is going nowhere.

Carlos Ranger 06-04-2008 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Thomas J. (Post 14312474)
Let the rumor mill chun.
Bringing back Torts in any captaity in this Ranger orginization would be determental to Renny ho would always be looking over his shoulder.
Hopefully Torts gets another head coaching job b4 the season starts or early into the season, otherwise the rumors will continue.

It clearly says in that article that Renney & Torts are friends, so I don't think that would be the case. I think bringing him in as an assistant would be a great move, but only unlikely because he's bound to land a head coaching position with another team.

bobbop 06-04-2008 11:22 PM

A while back, I brought up the possibility of Sather semi-retiring (yeah, I know, he did that 8 years ago) and becoming President and Renney becoming fulltime GM. That was discussed in a Perry Pearn as coach scenario. I still think that could happen and if so, Torts would be a daring and bold hire under the circumstances. It would change the culture that Renney has installed in the room but I know some of you might see that being a good thing. I'm not 100% sure but I love his fire and bluntness.

JiBBa 06-04-2008 11:29 PM

Please I want Torts!!!!!!!!!!!

Speedtrials 06-04-2008 11:30 PM

Renney is the coach I want to see mold our current and future young players. He was the first coach to bring respectability to this franchise in 10 years, and has brought our team to the playoffs 3 years in a row. I personally think he does a great job in getting our young players to believe they can play in the NHL, and then when they earn it, he gives them ice-time and responsibility. I really believe if any coach is going to lead this franchise to it's next Stanley Cup it will be Renney.

BDubinskyNYR17* 06-04-2008 11:37 PM

was it smith or sather that got rid of Torarella???

Son of Steinbrenner 06-04-2008 11:38 PM

As strange as it seems it kinda makes sense. I don't think Renney should lose his job but a promotion to Assistant GM with a promise to take over the team when Sather retires isn't really a step backwards.

A lot of us have been saying for years that Renney is a "Roger Neilson" type and a coach like Torarella is probably not going to be available when Renney is eventually let go. Is that a good enough reason to make a switch right now? I don't know...

Zirp 06-05-2008 12:16 AM

Regardless, if we have the chance, you bring someone like Torts back into the fold in whatever capacity you can. With him and ol' Tommy boy being such good friends, I'm sure it would probably be a good match, especially when Slats hangs up the stoggie and goes fishing permanently.

nyrmessier011 06-05-2008 12:24 AM

In a perect world, Pern is out Torts in. Just my opinion. Obviously unlikely because Torts is head coach material in the league, and Renney apparently loves Pern.

Brooklyn Ranger 06-05-2008 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCallahan43 (Post 14315298)
was it smith or sather that got rid of Torarella???

Officially, it was Sather.

Smashley 06-05-2008 12:39 AM

wow, never saw this as an option.

CM Lundqvist 06-05-2008 12:44 AM

I wouldn't mind having Torts back as an assistant or a head coach.

Get rid of Pearn and bring in Torts, this team could learn a lot from a guy like Torts.

Even if Renney went back to Assistant GM/Head of player development, and Torts took over as coach, I wouldn't mind that at all.

BklyNYR4Life 06-05-2008 01:01 AM

Oddly enough thats the first thing I thought of when I heard the news. I imagine the rangers are going to stick with Renney, as long as he continues to want to coach this team. it really comes down to a difference in philosophies in where they feel this franchise is going. if they believe they are still building to become a more solid foundation, and bringing their kids into the core, you stick with Renney. if they believe the time to win is now, and go for it with what you have, Torts makes sense.

CM Lundqvist 06-05-2008 01:25 AM

People talk about Tortarella being a "win now, Mike Keenan" type of coach.

The only similarity I see between the two is the emphasis on defense. The core of the 04 Tampa Bay Lightning was generally young. St. Louis was 28, not old, but still somewhat young. Lecavalier and Richards were 23 years old. Fedotenko was 24. Sarich was 25. Bulin was 30. Boyle was 27. Modin was 28. Andreychuk was obviously the oldest on the team at 39. Aside from Sydor (31), Andreychuk, (39), and Taylor (34), no one else on the team was over the age of 30.

I just don't see how that team was a "win now" kind of team.

Maybe because of Andreychuk? Bulin was only let go because they wanted to be able to sign Lecavalier, St. Louis, and Richards in the forthcoming seasons.

007 06-05-2008 03:54 AM

I've been wondering about this ever since I first heard Torts' job was in danger. It does make a certain amount of sense. I like Renney and I see no reason why he should go, but I also sometimes get the feeling that, at heart, he's a guy who likes to develop players even more than he's a guy who likes to coach a big-league team.

If Renney gets kicked upstairs to a Don Maloney-like position and Torts comes in as head coach, it might be something both men would be happy with. Purely conjecture, of course.

Anyway, one thing will definitely prevent it: I just can't see Torts and Jagr getting along too well. I think Torts would be too much of a hardass for Jagr's liking.

007 06-05-2008 03:59 AM

Incidentally, that post on his blog is one of the best pieces I've ever read from Dellapina. I think he hits every point he makes right on the head.

jas 06-05-2008 07:03 AM

This I did not know -

Quote:

Back in 1999, when then-GM Neil Smith wanted to fire John Muckler as head coach, he wanted to know if then-assistant coach Tortorella would take over. But Tortorella refused to discuss the position unless and until a move was made with Muckler. Jim Dolan refused to allow Smith to fire Muckler and the rest is a sad chapter in Rangers’ history.
I was always under the impression that John Paddock, head coach at Binghamton at the time, was Smith's choice to take over. Stupid-assed Dolan.

Sather obviously made a mistake not keeping Torts around when he first took over. Given the relationship between Tortorella and Renney, and the fact that Renney had not yet been hired by Sather, I wonder Renney had been around, perhaps he would have convinced Sather to give Tortorella a shot.

Oh, and Dellapina is wrong about the 1992 Cup; the Rangers had withstood losing Graves, and were up 4-2, with about 9 minutes left, in Pittsburgh, about to take a commanding 3-1 lead in the series, and heading home. And, then Ron Francis took what should have been a harmless shot from about 90 feet out. And, the Rangers were never the same...

94now 06-05-2008 09:22 AM

If Renney is tired of being bounced around, like any NHL coach would, and wants a permanent safe job, them Assistant GM is the place to be. Those never fired. I doubt Slats would move Renney, though. This is New York. You don't make any changes here up until things go bad or media will eat you alive for any pro-active move that didn't come with huge success. Renney will stay put for now, IMO. However, to get his replacement for "just in case" in the organization is something that Sather should think about, esp. if Pern would let go.

zestystrat 06-05-2008 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469 (Post 14312777)

Well put it this way: if you are Renney and you get offered the asst GM spot you might think of it as a promotion for all of the good work you have done and NOT as being fired.

Just saying that there is more then one way to look at it.

ogie 06-05-2008 10:37 AM

considering that Renney and Torts have to completely different coaching styles i do not think this would be as cut and dry as the article states. Alot of players on the team and in the league love the way Renney coaches and his laid-back attitude of letting the veterans do all the tlaking. To replace him with Torts who is the scream his f***ing head off type of coach does not seem like a good decision to me.