HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Which one should the Habs keep ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=522598)

CanadienErrant* 06-07-2008 09:38 AM

Which one should the Habs keep ?

There is a few veteran players that Gainey could re-sign, trade or drop.

Smolinski: good in the last strectch but useless otherwise;

Dandenault: expensive 13th forward / 7th d-man;

Brisebois: useful when used properly. Otherwise, dangerous.

Bégin: big heart- no talent- injured frequently.

If you would have only ONE to keep for next season, which one would you like in the line up ?

Seb 06-07-2008 09:39 AM

Bégin.

tiredman 06-07-2008 09:42 AM

Brisebois. As a 7th dman he can be very useful.

The others are/were overpaid... and didn't help the team very much.

Andrighetto Fabolous 06-07-2008 09:47 AM

Brisebois, as long as he is the 7th defenceman I have no problem with keeping him as i'd rather have a veteran 7th dman than a young guy who could be developing in the AHL.

We have enough 4th liners and guys in the AHL that Begin is expandable and Dandenault and Smolinski are ****ing useless.

WeThreeKings 06-07-2008 09:50 AM

None.

redmachine54 06-07-2008 09:59 AM

The only one on that list that interests me is Bégin. I'd vote Brisebois as a 7th d-man, but I'm guessing he'll retire this off-season.

Smolinski and Dandenault at their '07-'08 prices is a 'no thanks' from me.

68 06-07-2008 10:00 AM

If I see Begin in a Habs jersey again I will destroy something. That guy takes the most stupid penalties at the worst possible times.

And he's overpaid.

ChemiseBleuHonnete 06-07-2008 10:02 AM

I didn't read the title properly. I think they will keep Begin but I think they should keep none.

Habs 4 Life 06-07-2008 10:31 AM

The only one I would keep is Begin

Brisebois is done and I would rather have Valentenko as # 7

Dandenault I just don't wanna see him anymore + I think Stewart can take his place

Smolinski played well in the post season against the bruins but I think that this year Chipchura will be ready to play the hole season and take his place

Sports1131 06-07-2008 10:43 AM

Begin and maybe Brisebois. Both need to be willing to sit out games though.

Souffle 06-07-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sports1131 (Post 14338440)
Begin and maybe Brisebois. Both need to be willing to sit out games though.

I agree. I still like Brisebois as a 40-50 game, 7th defenceman. If Valentenko or whoever forces his way onto the team, then I have no problem with asking Brisebois to retire, gracefully, by giving him some sort of position in the organization. But I'd rather be forced to make that decision than to cut Brisebois and hope that something better and just as cheap comes along to replace him.

Le Tricolore 06-07-2008 01:54 PM

I'd keep Smoke if he took a paycut.

beowulf 06-07-2008 03:28 PM

Begin and maybe Smolinski if he takes a pay cut.

snakeye 06-07-2008 05:05 PM

Brisebois for sure. If he accepts his role like he did this year, and stays healthy, he's a damn good 6-7th defenseman, or even a 4th beside Hamrlik.

He was pretty decent during the playoffs, and honestly, I'd rather dress him for a playoff game than rookie like some of you are suggesting. He's finished? Lol people say Chelios was finished. He may be now, but Brisebois is still almost 10 years younger than he is.

The n00b King ©* 06-07-2008 05:06 PM

None.

Blind Gardien 06-07-2008 05:23 PM

Begin is worth keeping. Although I'd sacrifice him if it meant I could get rid of all those others too. :)

Smolinski was ok overall. He had some decent times and some miserable ones. If you had him back it could only be at a sub-$1M salary. But even then he seems pretty redundant. I wouldn't take him back.

There are better defensemen than Brisebois on the open market (and in our system). So I don't see how he could be brought back without it making our team weaker.

You pretty much have to keep Dandenault, though. Who's going to take his salary? Nobody. At least, not to start the season. He may be an expensive depth player, but then again we don't project to having much trouble with the cap this year anyway.

So in the end Begin and Dandenault stay, Smolinski and Brisebois go.

GNick42 06-07-2008 05:32 PM

Why include Begin in poll? He's one of the few sandpaper guys we need. Brisebois can stay around...as long as it as 7 d-man and around league miniumu

Roulin 06-07-2008 05:33 PM

The way I see things: Begin still helps the team win games. The rest can be outperformed by easily acquired, minimum wage players.

We all know Begin can't put the puck in the net, but that's not his game. More often than not, he does his part to keep the puck at the good end of the ice, no matter who he's up against.

Dandenault, we're stuck with. At least he can be a versatile extra man. I'd rather keep him this year than buy him out, as we'll need the cap space more in 09-10 than in 08-09.

Ice Poutine 06-07-2008 05:40 PM

I'd keep Begin and also would like to know what the word "miniumu" means?

;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GNick42 (Post 14341196)
...as long as it as 7 d-man and around league miniumu

Lone Rogue 06-07-2008 05:45 PM

Why is Dandenault on this list? He still has a year left.

Dandy doesn't even have a spot on the roster. Maybe in the AHL, not on the Canadiens. No use for a guy who does nothing but skate.

Brisebois did a great job with us and I'm happy for everything he has done. That said, I doubt Carbo will play an AHLer over Breezer to learn the ropes as a 6th/7th D-man, so I'd rather Breezer retire and give the spot up.

Smokes has to go. I don't care. Yes, he did good for us in the playoffs, but his spot needs to go. If we re-sign him I won't be happy. Guy fails for us just about all year, plays adaquately in the playoffs and people want to keep him. Not even for $500K for me.

Begin is fine. He'll finish this season as a Hab and likely head out after. I love Begin but he costs too much.

Magic33 06-07-2008 06:01 PM

how much does begin make a year?

loadie 06-07-2008 06:17 PM

Begin would be the only one. I really don't want any of the others back.

j c petit 06-07-2008 06:29 PM

None, play the kids.

polarslam 06-07-2008 07:31 PM

Breisbois should be kept.

Having a vet, stanely cup winning D-man whom comes cheap and makaes no issue being the 7th D-man who only plays half the games, is a big plus for the organization. Having a young guy be the 7th D-Man, playing every 2nd or 3rd game and only getting 12 or so minutes a game is a waste of development time, that young guy should be in the AHL playing in key situations and learning the ropes.

I like what Begin brings most of the time, but he is injured a lot and takes dumb penalties at horrible times and is over paid. It may be time to let him go, but I won't freak out if he is back.

Smolonski proved to be valuable down the stretch drive and in the playoffs, but had a bad regualr season, makes too much money and it is time to move Chipchura into a full time role, so he goes.

Dandy is versatile, but he is unhappy not being a full timer and makes too much money to be sitting, so if we can move him I would. A lot of teams without the D depth of the Habs would have room for him. A 7th rounder would be fair just to clear his sallary off the books.

Blind Gardien 06-08-2008 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarslam (Post 14342039)
Breisbois should be kept.

Having a vet, stanely cup winning D-man whom comes cheap and makaes no issue being the 7th D-man who only plays half the games, is a big plus for the organization. Having a young guy be the 7th D-Man, playing every 2nd or 3rd game and only getting 12 or so minutes a game is a waste of development time, that young guy should be in the AHL playing in key situations and learning the ropes.

The thing is, even if you make the argument from that direction, there are better and cheaper vet defenseman than Brisebois who would be available on the FA market.