HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Mike Green (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=522657)

HunterSThompson 06-07-2008 01:15 PM

Mike Green
 
What is the value of Mike Green on the trade market before July 1st?

Because of all of this talk about him not signing and waiting for offer sheets, I want to see what people think he could fetch in a trade before the deadline.

93xxGilmourxx93 06-07-2008 01:49 PM

Anyone know what kind of deal Washington offered him?

brs03 06-07-2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93xxGilmourxx93 (Post 14339722)
Anyone know what kind of deal Washington offered him?

With the way GMGM is, you'll probably never know what he's been offered.

Trxjw 06-07-2008 03:46 PM

I can't imagine Washington wouldn't match just about any offersheet for him.

I'm not sure what kind of position the Caps are in with NHL ready d-men, but I'd imagine Green would be a hard hole to fill.

As for trades, I'd say a top 4 D-man, top six forward, upper-mid level prospect / decent pick?

brs03 06-07-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 14340497)
I can't imagine Washington wouldn't match just about any offersheet for him.

I'm not sure what kind of position the Caps are in with NHL ready d-men, but I'd imagine Green would be a hard hole to fill.

As for trades, I'd say a top 4 D-man, top six forward, upper-mid level prospect / decent pick?

Green could be replaced as far as the roster goes (Alzner and Lepisto could both easily make the team next year), and his offense would probably be made up for with Nylander, Clark, and Semin (hopefully) staying healthy, and maybe Poti picking up his offensive game. Of course you don't want to lose Green, but he's not Ovechkin, not the centerpiece of the team, so if some team wants to offer him Phaneuf money then I don't think the Caps match (GMGM sounds pretty serious that he doesn't want to overpay).

I think some people are overestimating the offers that would be sent Green's way, or at least the offers he'd accept (because I think he genuinely does want to stay in Washington, he's got to know what a sweet deal he has here) but then again you never know.

s7ark 06-07-2008 05:48 PM

I make you this promise as an Oilers fan. If our GM offersheets Green away for 6M+, we will happily replace him in a Pitkanen+ for Semin trade ;)

Seriously though, Green's stock is through the roof. So I can understand why he wants to wait for RFA season and see what gets lobbed his way. Therefore, any trade for Green would have to involve a pre-agreed upon contract, that would be high enough to convince Green to not go RFA.

So long story short, his trade value is high, but the number of teams that can afford to add a 6M+ D-man isn't. That will limit his possible suitors. So you would still get something very nice in return(sorry, I don't know your team needs that well), but likely not the sun and the moon.

I'd highly suggest the Caps just match anything approaching reasonable, and worry about making room to fit him in. Not that Caps fan really need to be told this, but Green is a guy you really want to keep.

Transported Upstater 06-07-2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark (Post 14341311)
I make you this promise as an Oilers fan. If our GM offersheets Green away for 6M+, we will happily replace him in a Pitkanen+ for Semin trade ;)

Oh wow, how generous of you! ;)

KenAF 06-07-2008 07:43 PM

I think the 'problem' for Green's value has just had one good season. Yes, it was his first full season in the NHL, but it was also his contract year. How do teams know whether Green will continue to play with the same tenacity once he has the comfort of a 5-6 year deal @ $5.5-6.0 M/yr?

Phaneuf showed consistent, but steadily improving stats for almost three years before he got his $6.66M/yr deal.

I think Green would be valued much higher if he had performed as well for two years, including a non-contract year. Still though, I think he might fetch a top 5 pick this year if a team was looking for an offensive defenseman.

TheKingPin 06-07-2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenAF (Post 14342117)
I think the 'problem' for Green's value has just had one good season. Yes, it was his first full season in the NHL, but it was also his contract year. How do teams know whether Green will continue to play with the same tenacity once he has the comfort of a 5-6 year deal @ $5.5-6.0 M/yr?

Phaneuf showed consistent, but steadily improving stats for almost three years before he got his $6.66M/yr deal.

I think Green would be valued much higher if he had performed as well for two years, including a non-contract year. Still though, I think he might fetch a top 5 pick this year if a team was looking for an offensive defenseman.

Yea ang Green should know this, he cant ask for more that 4mill. Realistically anyway.

AgentNaslund* 06-07-2008 08:30 PM

we trade you Edler for him.

Joey13 06-09-2008 12:34 AM

He has amazing skill from the blueline and will lead the NHL in D-Man scoring next year. He is worth a ton!

heusy_79 06-09-2008 01:01 AM

I hadn't seen him play much at all until the WC, and I loved his game. What a talent, he's the kind of guy you don't trade unless it's a gross overpayment. As for a dollar value, if I were the Caps I would be happy if I could get him locked up at somewhere around $30-$35mil over 6 years. He's just going to keep getting better.

LennyV 06-09-2008 01:31 AM

He's been great this season and was awesome at times during the WC (not as good as Burns) but still, it's just one season and next year will be crucial. He will not be able to fly under the radar anymore, every team will be on the lookout for him and that gonna make it tougher for him to produce points. If he scores 15+ goals again I will be really impressed...

shanthony 06-09-2008 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LennyV (Post 14351565)
He's been great this season and was awesome at times during the WC (not as good as Burns) but still, it's just one season and next year will be crucial. He will not be able to fly under the radar anymore, every team will be on the lookout for him and that gonna make it tougher for him to produce points. If he scores 15+ goals again I will be really impressed...

When you see powerplay time with Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom and you have the hands, shot and elusiveness of Green I dont see how he cant score that many goals. Hes just way too gifted offensively to not score 15 goals a year with those guys feeding him the puck.

voxel 06-09-2008 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backstrom2Ovechkin (Post 14339479)
What is the value of Mike Green on the trade market before July 1st?

Because of all of this talk about him not signing and waiting for offer sheets, I want to see what people think he could fetch in a trade before the deadline.

Maybe top-5 pick because even tho Doughty/Bogosian/etc. might turn out better you HAVE Mike Green in your lineup who can provide offense now.

As for a roster player - Ryan Suter + 2nd... Corey Perry? You'd probably want a young player back. You won't get a superstar forward (ala Getzlaf or Nash) but a nice 1st/2nd liner.

Beukeboom Fan 06-09-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanthony (Post 14351667)
When you see powerplay time with Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom and you have the hands, shot and elusiveness of Green I dont see how he cant score that many goals. Hes just way too gifted offensively to not score 15 goals a year with those guys feeding him the puck.

I think this is a great point. Over the last couple years McCabe scored a bunch of goals on the PP based on a great slapshot, but that shot was taken away if a team overplays on the point. From the games I saw, Green got many of his goals by being aggressive in the offensive zone, and it will be much more difficult for a PK'er to overplay on Green's shot because that allows him stickhandle and penetrate, and it opens more room for AO & company.

brs03 06-09-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan (Post 14353353)
I think this is a great point. Over the last couple years McCabe scored a bunch of goals on the PP based on a great slapshot, but that shot was taken away if a team overplays on the point. From the games I saw, Green got many of his goals by being aggressive in the offensive zone, and it will be much more difficult for a PK'er to overplay on Green's shot because that allows him stickhandle and penetrate, and it opens more room for AO & company.

Green's not just a shot from the point, so yeah, he's got a good chance of adapting to another team's pressure and still creating offense. His skating is his best asset, not his shot, so he'll probably do more off the rush than on the PP, which is a big part of his upside (he could still produce at this level, maybe, even if less penalties are called as time goes on because he's still strong at ES).

Burty34 06-09-2008 06:54 PM

A puck moving defenseman with the hands and wheels that Green has, I am sure a lot of teams will go out of there way to get him. IMO he is capable of producing the same offensive numbers as he had this year anywhere, and if he were to stay with the Caps he will improve those stats with the likes of AO, Semin (RFA?...might get a full purse thrown at him), Federov? (I think he will take less to stay), Nylander and company. Defensively, he should only get better as well. Bottom line...there are very few like him!

brs03 06-09-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burty34 (Post 14358797)
A puck moving defenseman with the hands and wheels that Green has, I am sure a lot of teams will go out of there way to get him. IMO he is capable of producing the same offensive numbers as he had this year anywhere, and if he were to stay with the Caps he will improve those stats with the likes of AO, Semin (RFA?...might get a full purse thrown at him), Federov? (I think he will take less to stay), Nylander and company. Defensively, he should only get better as well. Bottom line...there are very few like him!

Semin's not an RFA, if that's what you meant, he signed in October or November for two more years (~4.6 cap hit?)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.