HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Eklund: Jokinen To Be Traded Today or Tomorrow (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=523074)

Georgia Panther 06-09-2008 12:43 PM

Eklund: Jokinen To Be Traded Today or Tomorrow
 
Don't get excited because it's Eklund which means it almost certainly won't happen but he reports a deal has been in place for a week that will be announced today or tomorrow.

http://v4.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=15624

RoadDoggFL 06-09-2008 12:49 PM

I was worried while the page was loading. Seeing Eklund kinda puts me at ease but you never know. If JM's happy with the offense, does that mean he's trading for a D-man?

StrangeVision 06-09-2008 12:57 PM

So, I guess Jokinen is going to Calgary...no wait, Edmonton...wait a sec., Vancouver! Hold on one more minute, Marleau's gonna be traded too in a three-way!!

Eklund deserves a thread?

Crossbar 06-09-2008 01:16 PM

Don't spread this around, but over the weekend I heard from someone reliable that Olli's wife has been packing their stuff up in boxes. Doesn't mean he will be traded, they could just be moving to a new home, getting rid of a lot of stuff or whatever, but could also mean they are preparing for the worst.

Eklund reporting this rumor means Jokinen stays a Panther for life. :laugh:

Transported Upstater 06-09-2008 01:18 PM

Thread title edited to limit the amount of heart attacks.

Montsy14 06-09-2008 01:49 PM

If it is in fact a legit rumour and it is in fact a possible 3-way deal, then I could see Marleau as the main target of JM considering that the puck-moving defenseman will surely come through free agency (Streit, Campbell, Liles, Redden, Roszival). Why trade your best offensive player for a defenseman when there is so much out there to go after. It would be a huge waste acquiring the puck-moving defensmen through a trade, especially if it is for Olli. How are we going to score any goals next year?????

JonathanHuberdoh 06-09-2008 02:19 PM

If we get Marleau, I want JM's head. Marleau isn't as good as Olli and is payed more as well. Olli offers a more complete game, and Marleau had a horrible season on a great San Jose team.

Unless we get a young forward like Pavelski or Setoguchi, I am not interested.

Same with Calgary, they really don't have anything that entices me, and Vancouver, I was the Sedin's or nothing.

Bronn 06-09-2008 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transported Upstater (Post 14354416)
Thread title edited to limit the amount of heart attacks.

So i guess that you just added "Eklund:" to it :laugh:

HughJass* 06-09-2008 02:29 PM

Yeap, if a deal goes down involving Jokinen I'll eat crow. This guy must be the most coveted fantasy player, ever :sarcasm: Seriously, though, I can't imagine the division without this player.

Acadmus 06-09-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montsy14 (Post 14354694)
If it is in fact a legit rumour and it is in fact a possible 3-way deal, then I could see Marleau as the main target of JM considering that the puck-moving defenseman will surely come through free agency (Streit, Campbell, Liles, Redden, Roszival). Why trade your best offensive player for a defenseman when there is so much out there to go after. It would be a huge waste acquiring the puck-moving defensmen through a trade, especially if it is for Olli. How are we going to score any goals next year?????

It's tough, and I highly doubt this rumor is accurate even in the improbable event it is true, but if it is the logical acquisition for JM is Pitkanen. Puck mover who had one good season in which he was better than Bouwmeester. That would be all-too typical. Problem with that theory is the three-way puts Marleau in Edmonton - which makes no sense for Edmonton given Jokinen has been better and cheaper, unless Edmonton's really seen something they like in Marleau. Thusly Olli ends up in San Jose, back in the same state where he started his NHL career, for whatever reason. Don't doubt San Jose would like a cheap top line player, but doubt they'd go for Olli.

This rumor smacks of fantasy hockey, though, so I'll believe it when it's announced as complete.

I do not doubt that Olli could be traded by draft day, though. I'd give it 50-50 especially given his performance at the Worlds.

Transported Upstater 06-09-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Label (Post 14355033)
So i guess that you just added "Eklund:" to it :laugh:

Correct. :laugh:

Sports24-7 06-09-2008 05:02 PM

How many times has Eklund said Jokinen would be traded by (insert random date here)? If he is traded and it makes the team better I won't be upset, but Marleau won't cut it. That's a lateral move at best, and probably not even.

Rattrick 06-09-2008 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sports24-7 (Post 14357001)
How many times has Eklund said Jokinen would be traded by (insert random date here)? If he is traded and it makes the team better I won't be upset, but Marleau won't cut it. That's a lateral move at best, and probably not even.

If it was a lateral move, I could kinda understand where JM would be coming from. With Jokinen leading this team, we haven't done crap. As captain, he just hasn't cut it and too many times he is caught slacking off on the ice.

However, it's not a lateral move, so it's a moot point.

Sports24-7 06-09-2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattrick (Post 14357075)
If it was a lateral move, I could kinda understand where JM would be coming from. With Jokinen leading this team, we haven't done crap. As captain, he just hasn't cut it and too many times he is caught slacking off on the ice.

However, it's not a lateral move, so it's a moot point.

Right, which was why I said lateral at best, but probably not even. The absolute upside of the deal would be lateral production.

Clint 06-09-2008 06:03 PM

Yay!!! Jokinen will sign an extension today or tomorrow!!! Yay!!!

homegrizown 06-09-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jok-AtTheDriveIn-en (Post 14354985)
If we get Marleau, I want JM's head. Marleau isn't as good as Olli and is payed more as well. Olli offers a more complete game, and Marleau had a horrible season on a great San Jose team.

Unless we get a young forward like Pavelski or Setoguchi, I am not interested.

Same with Calgary, they really don't have anything that entices me, and Vancouver, I was the Sedin's or nothing.

i'm gonna have to totally disagree with u on complete game marleau plays penalty kill he is way faster. i love jokinen and i could agree with point production jokinen has been better and hes still younger and cheaper but as far as complete player definetly not.

marleau is also a true leader he may have struggled but the guy hustles and plays hard. and in the playoffs marleau was there best player he was consistant compared to clowe or pavelski who did play great but all around marleau was definetly there best player.

Montsy14 06-09-2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homegrizown (Post 14358013)
i'm gonna have to totally disagree with u on complete game marleau plays penalty kill he is way faster. i love jokinen and i could agree with point production jokinen has been better and hes still younger and cheaper but as far as complete player definetly not.

marleau is also a true leader he may have struggled but the guy hustles and plays hard. and in the playoffs marleau was there best player he was consistant compared to clowe or pavelski who did play great but all around marleau was definetly there best player.

Agreed, I think Marleau needs a change of scenery. I am a big fan of him (other than the $$). Let's be serious though, nothing is going down today or tomorrow regardless of what Eklund has to say. If Martin trades Jokinen it HAS to be for some sort of offensive upgrade, unless of course he is planning on trading JayBo for that, in which case he would get the puck-moving defensmen through the Jokinen trade and Jokinen's replacement through the JayBo trade. From what I've heard, Bouwmeester isn't going anywhere therefore pick up the puck-moving guy through FA and IF IT IS COMPLETELY NECESSARY, trade Olli for some fresh blood on the attack

Peter Griffin 06-09-2008 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jok-AtTheDriveIn-en (Post 14354985)
Same with Calgary, they really don't have anything that entices me, and Vancouver, I was the Sedin's or nothing.

What are you going to add to Jokinen to get the Sedins? Gillis certainly wouldn't trade them both just for Olli.

JonathanHuberdoh 06-09-2008 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin (Post 14358330)
What are you going to add to Jokinen to get the Sedins? Gillis certainly wouldn't trade them both just for Olli.

Obviously, but don't expect Olesz or Frolik coming with Olli. Maybe a defense or forward (Pelts or Stumpel) and a 2nd Rounder or something.

Peter Griffin 06-09-2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jok-AtTheDriveIn-en (Post 14359051)
Obviously, but don't expect Olesz or Frolik coming with Olli. Maybe a defense or forward (Pelts or Stumpel) and a 2nd Rounder or something.

I'd keep the Sedins if that were the case. If what Darren Dreger said is true, that Olli has no desire to return to the Panthers' line-up, then I doubt Martin could get the Sedins for Jokinen and throw-ins.

Dread Clawz 06-09-2008 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homegrizown (Post 14358013)
i'm gonna have to totally disagree with u on complete game marleau plays penalty kill he is way faster. i love jokinen and i could agree with point production jokinen has been better and hes still younger and cheaper but as far as complete player definetly not.

marleau is also a true leader he may have struggled but the guy hustles and plays hard. and in the playoffs marleau was there best player he was consistant compared to clowe or pavelski who did play great but all around marleau was definetly there best player.

Agreed. Marleau is a much more complete player than Jokinen. 'Jokinen' and 'complete' don't go hand in hand. In addition to being good defensively, Marleau is also a great playmaker, which Jokinen is not. And while not being quite the sniper Jokinen is, he can still bury the biscuit. He's also a consistently good playoff performer. Last regular season was just an aberration for him IMO. He's still a great player. His point totals haven't been as good as Jokinen's in the last couple years, but I think he brings more to a team than Olli. If it sounds like I'm trying to talk badly about Olli, I'm not. I'm just being objective. I've been thinking about the possibility of this trade over the summer, and I'd like it. I think Marleau would fit better with the forwards we currently have. I like Olli and he has done a lot for this team in the past, but I'm just sick of watching him make bad pass after bad pass to his wingers. The guy just isn't a playmaker. Marleau would get much more out of his linemates. His creativity and natural talent trump Olli's even on his worst day. What Olli has over Marleau is his shot, and that's about it. But, all in all, it is Eklund. However, there were rumors of a possible Olli-Marleau trade going all the way back to the middle of last season, and Biggane(I know) wrote recently in his blog that Sexton did discuss a possible Marleau for Olli deal with SJ last season as well. This isn't a fresh rumor, and it would seem to make sense for both sides.

Mogo 06-10-2008 06:48 AM

I highly doubth Jokinen will ever return to his old form. During the WC's even he looked like that Olli we saw since the Zednik incident. Will he ever be able to get over it?

JonathanHuberdoh 06-10-2008 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin (Post 14359256)
I'd keep the Sedins if that were the case. If what Darren Dreger said is true, that Olli has no desire to return to the Panthers' line-up, then I doubt Martin could get the Sedins for Jokinen and throw-ins.

Well you won't get him for Pyatt, Bieksa and a pick.

jumptheshark 06-10-2008 12:27 PM

according to a few site that I visit--it sounds like IF "IF" the cats do move Jokinen--they will start an auction 24hours before the draft to see who steps up to get some damage done

Panthers Rock 06-10-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogo (Post 14362308)
I highly doubth Jokinen will ever return to his old form. During the WC's even he looked like that Olli we saw since the Zednik incident. Will he ever be able to get over it?

But what happens with a new coach and Zednik returning? I would think that could bring his spirits and game back up. I don't understand the rush to trade him, it's not like he's a UFA next offseason. I think it wouldn't be the smartest thing to do unless you can somehow get an overpayment and I doubt that. You do not trade away the best player in a deal if you can avoid it, it rarely works in your favor.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.