HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Locke might go to play in the Swiss League (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=523387)

habsfan11 06-10-2008 03:40 PM

Locke might go to play in the Swiss League
 
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/253438.html

Apparently there's a team making a strong pitch for him to cross the Atlantic this summer.

GoneAway 06-10-2008 03:43 PM

They can have him

JrHockeyFan 06-10-2008 04:15 PM

I think that would be a good move for Locke. Rightly or wrongly, he has the burden that he is a sort of poster child for Jr players who were never expected to make it big in the Pros. His low draft status was just the start

Perhaps he can hammer out a successful career as several other players have, like former Hab Rocky Dipietro in Switzerland. It is not the bigs but there are some tax and expense perks

If it is true, good luck Corey

Beakermania* 06-10-2008 04:21 PM

If he can make more money over there; and he's willing to live on another continent than he should go....

He's never gonna be a full-time NHLer with this team, maybe a team really weak up the middle will give him a shot but I doubt it...

Selfishly I wouldn't mind him in Hamilton as he's a good AHL player and hes a vet who can help Trotter, Wyman, Maxwell, White, Desharnais, etc make the adjustment to the AHL, and he can help the Dogs... but I understand he's gotta do whats best for him and his family.

Belso 06-10-2008 07:01 PM

He should really consider it. I think he'd get lots of ice time and put up great numbers there. It's also nice in Switzerland..

I wish him luck where ever he plays :)

crazyd 06-10-2008 07:22 PM

I'm uncertain that we can allow ourselves to let Locke go.

We don't have enough depth up in the middle - to be more precise on the two top scoring lines.

Just imagine either Koivu or Plekanec out on IR for a prolonged period of time. Not many options: Higgins, Chips, Lapierre won't be able to carry the load of centering top 6 wingers. As for S.Kostitsyn lets leave it to an interesting experiment.

And considering signing/trading for a top centerman, options are bleak and would involve either Koivu lifting his no-trade clause or accepting 3rd line status. If Koivu is not packaged in a trade for the "big center" we want and need, we will be depleting ourselves of core elements and too many prospects or picks. Thus going against the "grand design" of architecting a top caliber NHL team - a la "Red Wings". Chances are slim.

Locke as provided his best season ever in the AHL with a poor Dog's team. Locke's development is slow, but do remember that Plekanec's also needed some seasoning before making the Habs roster. And Plekanec never achieved a point total of 72 points in the AHL.

Letting Locke go will only be possible if Grabovski is still on the radar...to which I wouldn't bet any of my paycheck. Simply remember that we packaged him for Hossa...tends to show that we recognize the potential but it's not going to happen with our team. And I think Grabovski isn't feeling the "love" right now...regardless of the Kostitsyn's being on the team or not.

Joey 06-10-2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarto (Post 14369654)
I'm uncertain that we can allow ourselves to let Locke go.

We don't have enough depth up in the middle - to be more precise on the two top scoring lines.

Just imagine either Koivu or Plekanec out on IR for a prolonged period of time. Not many options: Higgins, Chips, Lapierre won't be able to carry the load of centering top 6 wingers. As for S.Kostitsyn lets leave it to an interesting experiment.

And considering signing/trading for a top centerman, options are bleak and would involve either Koivu lifting his no-trade clause or accepting 3rd line status. If Koivu is not packaged in a trade for the "big center" we want and need, we will be depleting ourselves of core elements and too many prospects or picks. Thus going against the "grand design" of architecting a top caliber NHL team - a la "Red Wings". Chances are slim.

Locke as provided his best season ever in the AHL with a poor Dog's team. Locke's development is slow, but do remember that Plekanec's also needed some seasoning before making the Habs roster. And Plekanec never achieved a point total of 72 points in the AHL.

Letting Locke go will only be possible if Grabovski is still on the radar...to which I wouldn't bet any of my paycheck. Simply remember that we packaged him for Hossa...tends to show that we recognize the potential but it's not going to happen with our team. And I think Grabovski isn't feeling the "love" right now...regardless of the Kostitsyn's being on the team or not.

I don't think Locke will sign with us based on the promise that "you might play if Koivu and Plekanec are both injured for a really long time." He probably knows he has a slim future with us. Oh and, it took Locke 4 years to notch 70 points. It took Plekanec 2 years to get 66 points in 74 games. If Pleks were in the AHL right now he'd be getting 120 points a year probably...I mean, Darren Haydar got 120 the other year and he is nowhere in Tomas' league. And packaging a player in a trade does not mean "your potential is not going to happen with us." Higgins almost got packaged -- does that mean we don't want him anymore?

Ohashi_Jouzu 06-10-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Chezz (Post 14367233)
They can have him

My thoughts exactly. I don't wish harm on the guy, but I never want to see the day when he cracks the Habs starting line up... which means either Koivu or Pleks are injured, or he is a better option than other players in the system. Either way, those would be bleak prospects.

Ice Poutine 06-10-2008 07:57 PM

People are not as tall in Switzerland, maybe he'll feel 'bigger' there...:)

JHabs 06-10-2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakermania (Post 14367636)
If he can make more money over there; and he's willing to live on another continent than he should go....

He's never gonna be a full-time NHLer with this team, maybe a team really weak up the middle will give him a shot but I doubt it...

Selfishly I wouldn't mind him in Hamilton as he's a good AHL player and hes a vet who can help Trotter, Wyman, Maxwell, White, Desharnais, etc make the adjustment to the AHL, and he can help the Dogs... but I understand he's gotta do whats best for him and his family.

Yeah I agree with ya there, I mean hes a great AHL player but no way will he step up to NHL standards, not even for a 4th liner.

RE-HABS 06-10-2008 08:28 PM

Locke is your junior elite player with skills that can't translate into the NHL game, heck he is barely a point per game player in the AHL.

He will go to the Swiss Elite League and have a good career making decent money much like Paul Dipeitro....at least Paul player for a couple of seasons and got a cup though.

Good luck to him, maybe he'll get another chance or maybe he'll stay over there like Lonny Bohonos (spelling)???

Not in our plans, no trade value...no chance.

Blades 0f Steel 06-10-2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarto (Post 14369654)
I'm uncertain that we can allow ourselves to let Locke go.

We don't have enough depth up in the middle - to be more precise on the two top scoring lines.

Just imagine either Koivu or Plekanec out on IR for a prolonged period of time. Not many options: Higgins, Chips, Lapierre won't be able to carry the load of centering top 6 wingers. As for S.Kostitsyn lets leave it to an interesting experiment.

And considering signing/trading for a top centerman, options are bleak and would involve either Koivu lifting his no-trade clause or accepting 3rd line status. If Koivu is not packaged in a trade for the "big center" we want and need, we will be depleting ourselves of core elements and too many prospects or picks. Thus going against the "grand design" of architecting a top caliber NHL team - a la "Red Wings". Chances are slim.

Locke as provided his best season ever in the AHL with a poor Dog's team. Locke's development is slow, but do remember that Plekanec's also needed some seasoning before making the Habs roster. And Plekanec never achieved a point total of 72 points in the AHL.

Letting Locke go will only be possible if Grabovski is still on the radar...to which I wouldn't bet any of my paycheck. Simply remember that we packaged him for Hossa...tends to show that we recognize the potential but it's not going to happen with our team. And I think Grabovski isn't feeling the "love" right now...regardless of the Kostitsyn's being on the team or not.

Look, I liked Locke as a Bulldog. I think he's a great guy.

But you people have to let go this unhealthy fascination with him making the Canadiens!

We need to keep him in case we lose 2 centermen? Unreal.

Pascal 06-10-2008 08:57 PM

I hope he does well for himself. He just doesn't have the skill set or frame for the NHL.

WeThreeKings 06-10-2008 09:01 PM

With Ryan White and Ben Maxwell entering the AHL next season and hopefully Mathieu Aubin staying a whole season there.. We're fine for depth at center in the AHL. Now it's time to get some more in the junior ranks.

peperebougon* 06-10-2008 09:22 PM

Good for him and for us. With the 50 contracts limit, we gotta make some choices. With Ferland, Locke, Engelhard etc...gone, we will be able to sign some new guys.

Rocket91* 06-10-2008 09:30 PM

He's better off its clearly isn't good enough for the NHL .

Team_Spirit 06-10-2008 09:44 PM

Anybody remember when he was callled up for his 1st game in the NHL and his equipment got lost at the airport ?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=461739

At least he got a game a few days later.

Ice Poutine 06-10-2008 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team_Spirit (Post 14370945)
Anybody remember when he was callled up for his 1st game in the NHL and his equipment got lost at the airport ?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=461739

At least he got a game a few days later.

I dont really believe in 'omens', but that sure was one right there!:(

crazyd 06-10-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby (Post 14370309)
Look, I liked Locke as a Bulldog. I think he's a great guy.

But you people have to let go this unhealthy fascination with him making the Canadiens!

We need to keep him in case we lose 2 centermen? Unreal.

No fascination here...as I don't think he would crack the lineup...just that he is the best insurance policy you may have in case of an injury.

It's true that Maxwell, White, Aubin and - yes - O.Latendresse will all be in the AHL. Still, I can't imagine them seeing any time in the big league in the forthcoming year - even for Maxwell.

Metropolitsky 06-10-2008 10:35 PM

Best of luck ,Locke

crazyd 06-10-2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey (Post 14369730)
I don't think Locke will sign with us based on the promise that "you might play if Koivu and Plekanec are both injured for a really long time." He probably knows he has a slim future with us. Oh and, it took Locke 4 years to notch 70 points. It took Plekanec 2 years to get 66 points in 74 games. If Pleks were in the AHL right now he'd be getting 120 points a year probably...I mean, Darren Haydar got 120 the other year and he is nowhere in Tomas' league. And packaging a player in a trade does not mean "your potential is not going to happen with us." Higgins almost got packaged -- does that mean we don't want him anymore?

You kinda made my point....Higgins "almost" was packaged....but wasn't...

I'm not saying we don't want Grabo anymore, but in all likelyhood he is not in our plans either for the future...

With the Pacioretty's, Maxwell's, White's, Stewart's....joining the well established core of Pleks, Kost Bros, Higgins, Lats, Chips and Lappy...tell me that you can "clearly" project Grabo in the lineup in the years to come.

So if Grabo bail's early on the Habs, he can't be the insurance policy to center on are two top lines. Which leaves you who in case of injury?

Oh we will resign Smolinski I guess? :amazed:

Blades 0f Steel 06-10-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarto (Post 14371401)
No fascination here...as I don't think he would crack the lineup...just that he is the best insurance policy you may have in case of an injury.

It's true that Maxwell, White, Aubin and - yes - O.Latendresse will all be in the AHL. Still, I can't imagine them seeing any time in the big league in the forthcoming year - even for Maxwell.


He's as much an insurance policy for center as Melanson would be if both goalies got injured.

crazyd 06-10-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby (Post 14371561)
He's as much an insurance policy for center as Melanson would be if both goalies got injured.

And I remember reading on RDS and on this board that Habs management has stated that this need has to be and will be addressed.

Magic33 06-10-2008 11:27 PM

The guy has worked hard for us, tried his best but unfortunately just cant make the big club. Hes helped out in the AHL for a while now, and deserves to move on. Playing in the Swiss league will be amazing and im sure he'll do well.

Habs10Habs 06-11-2008 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic33 (Post 14371913)
The guy has worked hard for us, tried his best but unfortunately just cant make the big club. Hes helped out in the AHL for a while now, and deserves to move on. Playing in the Swiss league will be amazing and im sure he'll do well.

I've actually heard/read the opposite. That the big knock on Locke *hey I'm a poet* was his lack of effort. I think it's a great opportunity for him, and wish him all the best.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.