HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mattias Norstrom Retires (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=523415)

BDubinskyNYR17* 06-10-2008 06:05 PM

Mattias Norstrom Retires

http://stars.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...ticleid=365621

danishh 06-10-2008 06:12 PM

finally, a star (heh) who doesnt play forever

kingpest19 06-10-2008 06:20 PM

Sad day for Kings fans. Matty may not have been a big name star but he was a huge part of the Kings. Congrats on a long successful career.

Hennessy 06-10-2008 06:23 PM

Huh. I knew he was getting close, but I thought he'd stick around for one more year.

SLAPSHOT723 06-10-2008 07:05 PM

didnt think it would be now....

but congrats to matty on a great career

Kritter471 06-10-2008 07:05 PM

Class guy during his whole stint in Dallas.

The DMN blog hinted around a family issue that caused his wife and daughters to live in Sweden for much of the year.

"Norstrom has some family concerns, and his family lived in Sweden for much of last season, so that's the reason for the decision."

I hope whatever it is with his family resolves itself in the best way possible, and I'll miss him as a member of the Stars, however brief his tenure was here in Dallas.

GKJ 06-10-2008 07:07 PM

Good luck, Matty. My favorite player for a while here. Too bad you didn't win the Cup.

danaluvsthekings 06-10-2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kritter471 (Post 14368815)
Class guy during his whole stint in Dallas.

The DMN blog hinted around a family issue that caused his wife and daughters to live in Sweden for much of the year.

"Norstrom has some family concerns, and his family lived in Sweden for much of last season, so that's the reason for the decision."

I hope whatever it is with his family resolves itself in the best way possible, and I'll miss him as a member of the Stars, however brief his tenure was here in Dallas.

From a story on the Stars website earlier this week

Quote:

I have to sit down with my family, Norstrom said. We have two girls that need a little extra attention in school, and without going into details, they need extra help. So Ive got to sit down this summer and just make the right decision. Its going to be hard, but I need to see the family first, sit down and talk about it before I look ahead.
http://stars.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...ticleid=365355

Anyhow, Matti was a class act when he was here in LA and I missed seeing him on the Kings this year but want to wish him well in retirement and hope that the situation with his daughters sorts itself out in the best way possible.

Macke* 06-10-2008 08:25 PM

Not yet Mattias!

Fripp 06-10-2008 08:54 PM

Fantastic guy and teammate. Good luck to him in his post-NHL life!

Howard35 06-10-2008 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hennessy (Post 14368325)
Huh. I knew he was getting close, but I thought he'd stick around for one more year.

For real. I thought he had another 1-2 years in him. Poor guy.

Take care matty!

hlundqvist30* 06-10-2008 09:21 PM

Not exactly a HOF career but one that he should be very proud of. He was great defenseman for many years. And at the same time, like somebody else said, he didn't wait until he was totally washed up before he retired. He could have maybe played 1 or 2 more years, but how effective would he have really been? He's' not exactly the greatest player ever, but he was a player that every single person who watches hockey can appreciate.

Marshall 06-10-2008 09:23 PM

Sounds like a class guy with his priorities straight. Congrats and good luck.

BDubinskyNYR17* 06-10-2008 09:36 PM

im sure he will work for the NHL or Sweden in the future. very solid dman and knows the game well.

Skyblaze 06-10-2008 09:47 PM

Here's one guy who *never* got enough props outside of where he played. You barely ever heard a peep about him from the media yet he was one of the most effective defenseman to have played in recent years. He just went to prove that flashier defensemen only got nominated for the Norris while the true stay-at-home guys got ignored. (although i'd say every Norris won by Lidstrom was well deserved)

Tip of the hat to an amazing player. He probably won't make it into the Hall but he's always going to make my list of top defensive guys.

aegwillnotwinthecup* 06-10-2008 09:56 PM

Great career, great defenseman. Warrior on and off the ice.

Congrats, Matty. You captained the Kings through a horrible slump, but will always have our respect.

andyGILL 06-10-2008 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyblaze (Post 14370422)
Here's one guy who *never* got enough props outside of where he played. You barely ever heard a peep about him from the media yet he was one of the most effective defenseman to have played in recent years. He just went to prove that flashier defensemen only got nominated for the Norris while the true stay-at-home guys got ignored. (although i'd say every Norris won by Lidstrom was well deserved)

Tip of the hat to an amazing player. He probably won't make it into the Hall but he's always going to make my list of top defensive guys.

Lidstrom is the exact opposite of flashy.

Skyblaze 06-10-2008 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyGILL (Post 14370514)
Lidstrom is the exact opposite of flashy.

And I didn't call him flashy either; well, not exactly but I do get why you may have thought so. Lidstrom is just the best darn defenseman of the modern era... by far (at least, according to me).

I'm thinking more along the lines of a Rob Blake. Don't get me wrong, Blake was a pretty good defensemen but if I was to pick, I'd take Norstrom over him any day of the week.

Norstrom helps keep the puck out of the net better than your average defensemen. He was a force to be reckoned with in front and around the net.

The Thomas J.* 06-10-2008 11:23 PM

Wow they are dropping off like flies this week.
Norstrom had a nice career, classy guy came to the rink ready to play game after game, well liked by the fans & an assest to every team he played for.

mattihp 06-11-2008 06:23 AM

Both nice and sad to see players leave the game before all the hockey has left their veins.

Sony Eriksson* 06-11-2008 07:45 PM

Good luck Matty...........Thanks for the season and a half here. Started out slow then showed why you were a great shutdown guy. Good luck!