HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   TSN HABS Off-Season Game Plan (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=524099)

habsfan56 06-12-2008 10:11 PM

TSN HABS Off-Season Game Plan
 
tsn released the off-season game plan for the canadiens

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_c...s=secStory_nhl

what do you all think
getting jokinen would be crazy but may be too pricey
and hoping that gainey leaves the goaltending duo of price and halak alone (wouldnt want lalime or kolzig as a backup)

LyricalLyricist 06-12-2008 10:48 PM

I like Scott Cullen's(TSN) off season plans, usually read them. I think it gives a general look at us and out future.

As for getting Jokinen, wouldn't mind, he's got a good contract for a player of his stature but he'll be expensive to trade for i'm sure.

I like our goaltending as well, it should not be altered, but i'd like if a veteran AHL 3rd string goalie is added for dejardins in the AHL, and incase of injury at the NHL level.

Team_Spirit 06-12-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

"We want to play a fast game," general manager Bob Gainey told the Montreal Gazette. "Could we be bigger and more rugged? Perhaps, but our philosophy is we're quick, we're exciting, we're on the attack and we're ready to score."
Rolston is fast and rugged. I'm surprised they didn't mention him as a possible target.

Phil Parent 06-12-2008 11:40 PM

I didn't notice if he keeps the same pattern for every team's draft predictions (A Goalie, A Defenseman and A Forward?) but I disagree with him.

- The Habs will not pick a Goalie in the first round when they picked one fifth overall 2-3 years ago.

- The Habs will not draft another D when the pipeline is FULL.

- The Habs will NOT draft a 5'10" center.

One prediction about the Habs' draft: The guy will play a forward position and be upwards of 6 feet tall.

As far as goalies go, yes they should draft one, in the later rounds.

prevail 06-13-2008 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Parent (Post 14394729)
I didn't notice if he keeps the same pattern for every team's draft predictions (A Goalie, A Defenseman and A Forward?) but I disagree with him.

- The Habs will not pick a Goalie in the first round when they picked one fifth overall 2-3 years ago.

- The Habs will not draft another D when the pipeline is FULL.

- The Habs will NOT draft a 5'10" center.

One prediction about the Habs' draft: The guy will play a forward position and be upwards of 6 feet tall.

As far as goalies go, yes they should draft one, in the later rounds.

I was thinking about the draft and I dont think itll matter what their position is or their size, it's the BPA, just like with Price.

Would you rather draft a 6'5 Colbourne who could have trouble keeping up his speed or a 5'10 Eberle who could be pushed around.

The draft is intriguing as in there is a lot of unknowns about the players after the top 10. Just be confident is wtv they decide cause it's their job and rep on the line.

That being sad, I can't wait for the next 3 weeks!

GNick42 06-13-2008 02:31 AM

If Streit doesn't resign, Dands is bought out we have around 14 million and change caproom. I think Gainey will go hard after Sundin and Wheeler. But will not get either...just my gut feeling. I would resign Streit and go after Shanny....keep the team basically intact from last season....Jokinen? If the deal is right...but doubt we can get something done

beowulf 06-13-2008 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prevail (Post 14394894)
I was thinking about the draft and I dont think itll matter what their position is or their size, it's the BPA, just like with Price.

Would you rather draft a 6'5 Colbourne who could have trouble keeping up his speed or a 5'10 Eberle who could be pushed around.

The draft is intriguing as in there is a lot of unknowns about the players after the top 10. Just be confident is wtv they decide cause it's their job and rep on the line.

That being sad, I can't wait for the next 3 weeks!

I agree, the Habs will take whomever the best player available is. A golaie is not out of the question as any goalie would likely not be ready for another 4-5 years and which point it would be a great way to introduce an inexpensive backup for Price.

Pascal 06-13-2008 07:58 AM

They say Koivu has been playing with an "edge" with his 90+ PIM. lol. More like playing with a "hook".

OneSharpMarble 06-13-2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 14396210)
They say Koivu has been playing with an "edge" with his 90+ PIM. lol. More like playing with a "hook".

With that cutting wit and talent you'll surely make a bigger impact than Koivu has in your career. :sarcasm:

Dwight 06-13-2008 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 14396210)
They say Koivu has been playing with an "edge" with his 90+ PIM. lol. More like playing with a "hook".

"Captain Hook"?

Monctonscout 06-13-2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prevail (Post 14394894)
I was thinking about the draft and I dont think itll matter what their position is or their size, it's the BPA, just like with Price.

Would you rather draft a 6'5 Colbourne who could have trouble keeping up his speed or a 5'10 Eberle who could be pushed around.

The draft is intriguing as in there is a lot of unknowns about the players after the top 10. Just be confident is wtv they decide cause it's their job and rep on the line.

That being sad, I can't wait for the next 3 weeks!

Colborne has the body ot Tarzan but plays like Jane. I don't mind picking a big center but he has to be a guy with skill that competes. I like Gainey's philosophy given that Detroit won the cup with pucxk possession and speed.

I think a good center with size and skill would be Cormier in the 2nd...but I have a hunch the Habs want Hudon-Paquette though he is not very creative offensively and might be limited to a Begin/Kostopoulos type role in the NHL.

I think Markstrom or Peckard would be a solid pick at 25. Just get the best player available instead of picking a guy you don't like for need.

kyne 06-13-2008 11:50 AM

There are plenty of good forwards available in the first three rounds so that makes me doubt that the Habs will take Pickard at # 25. Instead, I could see them going after a high risk, high reward goalie like Allen in the third or fourth round.

One player not listed that does intrigue me is Gardiner. I realize he's a defenseman, but he's considered very good offensively and a gifted pp quarterback by some. Between him and a potential second/third line centre, I think he might be a good choice.

Kaptain Bégin 06-13-2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyne (Post 14398149)
There are plenty of good forwards available in the first three rounds so that makes me doubt that the Habs will take Pickard at # 25. Instead, I could see them going after a high risk, high reward goalie like Allen in the third or fourth round.

One player not listed that does intrigue me is Gardiner. I realize he's a defenseman, but he's considered very good offensively and a gifted pp quarterback by some. Between him and a potential second/third line centre, I think he might be a good choice.

I think they always go with the BPA, but when they make their list, they know how strong their prospect pool is and they scout the type of player they need/want too. I do think they will draft upfront for the same reason they drafted on D the last couple of years, with a bias. I don't have any problem with d-men or goalies being draft this year, because if they draft one, it will be because they feel it's a guy who slip to them.

Pascal 06-14-2008 10:35 AM

I doubt Pickard will be there at 25.. his stock has risen a lot lately it seems. Even McKeens' placed him as #1 goaltender and in the top 15 I believe (going from memory).

I think the Habs could go for a high risk high reward type player as they don't have a lot of high impact offensive players in the prospect pool.

One Man Rock Band 06-14-2008 11:18 AM

For me, in an ideal world.. I want Selanne and Sundin. Both would cost money but both would be short term deals.. and that's going to help us in a couple of years. We have no cap issues this season upcoming, but the season after? We do.

Lats - Koivu - Selanne
Higgins - Sundin - Kosty
Kosty - Pleks - Kovy
Lappy - Chips - Streit

COULD YOU IMAGINE?! lol

Whitesnake 06-14-2008 12:50 PM

I won't like our picks if we pick any of the 3 guys mentioned. You don't need to for Pickard in the 1st, there's enough good potential goalies to choose one after. I liked Nyemi the game I saw him play but not enough for a 1st rounder. And Arniel......I just can't imagine.....

peperebougon* 06-15-2008 02:49 AM

I know for sure (worked with his brother) Timmins met Antoine Laganière's family. He is a big talented center from montreal (he is an anglo though) who plays in the States. Can someone tell me about him??? I think he will be drafted in the 3rd round.

Galchy27 06-15-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peperebougon (Post 14412925)
I know for sure (worked with his brother) Timmins met Antoine Laganière's family. He is a big talented center from montreal (he is an anglo though) who plays in the States. Can someone tell me about him??? I think he will be drafted in the 3rd round.

He'll be drafted much later than that.

kostitsyn1489 06-15-2008 12:19 PM

I didnt like his pick for the draft... From some source 2 of the guys didnt get interview with the habs so i highly doubt they draft them and the other one I'm not too sure he would be a good fit. Anyway we'll see.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.