HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Other: Niklas Hagman (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=524125)

Mx 06-13-2008 12:46 AM

Niklas Hagman

Has anyone heard anything regarding Niklas Hagman? He's currently a UFA and I think Dallas is already cutting the cap close to secure him after how productive he was last season.

SkullSplitter 06-13-2008 12:58 AM

I think a lot of teams will see him and Miettinen as cheap options compared to the Huseliuses, Prospals, and Malones of the world, and inevitably drive up their prices.

Blank 06-13-2008 05:46 AM

Hagman might make a good winger for the twins in vancouver and leave them with enough cap space to make a run for some other UFAs..

Dunno how he'd play rw.. And he should be a right hand shot to really fit in, but it might be an option.

TasteofFlames 06-13-2008 08:20 AM

Hagman has to learn to hit the net from 10 feet in. I can't count the number of times I saw him miss wide in the POs this year. Seemed like every break-away was into the boards. Antti is just not that great of a player; his development has stagnated terribly. A change of scenery may do him good, but Dallas should walk away from both of those guys (imo)

Pukboy5kroner 06-13-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TasteofFlames (Post 14396344)
Hagman has to learn to hit the net from 10 feet in. I can't count the number of times I saw him miss wide in the POs this year. Seemed like every break-away was into the boards. Antti is just not that great of a player; his development has stagnated terribly. A change of scenery may do him good, but Dallas should walk away from both of those guys (imo)

Yeah, Hag has that problem, but he's gotten a lot better at hitting the net, since he went to Dallas. In Florida, he had many chances due to his speed, but consitently shot for the nets above the glass.

I think a few teams could use him for his speed and tenacity, he just has to keep working on that shot of his.

piqued 06-13-2008 11:22 AM

Just FYI, Hagman's shooting percentage was 15.2% last year, which is well above-average. That makes his comparables in that stat people like Prospal, Kovalev, Gaborik, Vanek, Langkow etc.

________ 06-13-2008 10:56 PM

He went back to hands of stone in the playoffs after the great season(by his standards).
I wouldn't mind if Dallas kept Hagman for $2 million, but anything more I wouldn't want him back.

SP 06-13-2008 11:02 PM

How much do you think he'd demand? I love this guy, and would kill to have him in a Senators uniform.

Mx 06-13-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ________ (Post 14404238)
He went back to hands of stone in the playoffs after the great season(by his standards).
I wouldn't mind if Dallas kept Hagman for $2 million, but anything more I wouldn't want him back.

I'm actually a big Hagman fan. He didn't exactly impress in the playoffs, but I don't think he was really given the opportunity to shine considering the line(s) he was playing on and the minutes he was getting. The Stars fan in me wants to see him in a Stars uniform next year and the Hagman fan in me wouldn't mind seeing him go to a team that would put him on better lines and truly utilize him.

I think after last season, he could easily command a $2-$5 million contract.

Feed Me A Stray Cat 06-13-2008 11:20 PM

Someone will throw $3M at Hagman.

BDubinskyNYR17* 06-13-2008 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spectraljulian (Post 14395188)
I think a lot of teams will see him and Miettinen as cheap options compared to the Huseliuses, Prospals, and Malones of the world, and inevitably drive up their prices.

Id like Miettinen on the Rangers. He can be a mentor to korpikoski who is also finish. Miettinen is a solid player.

Mx 06-13-2008 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCallahan43 (Post 14404409)
Id like Miettinen on the Rangers. He can be a mentor to korpikoski who is also finish. Miettinen is a solid player.

Meh...Miettinen is great in theory...not so much in practice. Too bad he's not just a little bit better because Dallas probably could have sent him to Tampa Bay instead of Jokinen during the Richards trade.

rt 06-14-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat (Post 14404408)
Someone will throw $3M at Hagman.

I would. On a two or three year deal, anyway.

State of Hockey 06-14-2008 07:24 PM

Hagman should get a nice payday, probably between 3-4 million. I'd love for the Wild to sign him. He would really shore up the 3rd line LW. He can be used in all situations too.

Ike Thermite 06-14-2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piqued1457 (Post 14397906)
Just FYI, Hagman's shooting percentage was 15.2% last year, which is well above-average. That makes his comparables in that stat people like Prospal, Kovalev, Gaborik, Vanek, Langkow etc.

The criticism being made is that the percentage of his shots that hit the net are low, not the percentage of his shots on goal that actually go in.

piqued 06-14-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRig4 (Post 14410389)
The criticism being made is that the percentage of his shots that hit the net are low, not the percentage of his shots on goal that actually go in.

That's also not an accurate criticism. His 5-on-5 shooting percentage last year including missed shots (not on goal) was 11.1%, once again above average. Comparables here include Iginla, Hejduk, Roy, Erat, etc. And that doesn't factor in shorthanded where he's also a threat to score.

Rune Forumwalker 06-15-2008 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mx (Post 14404392)
I'm actually a big Hagman fan. He didn't exactly impress in the playoffs, but I don't think he was really given the opportunity to shine considering the line(s) he was playing on and the minutes he was getting. The Stars fan in me wants to see him in a Stars uniform next year and the Hagman fan in me wouldn't mind seeing him go to a team that would put him on better lines and truly utilize him.

I think after last season, he could easily command a $2-$5 million contract.

I'm sorry, I like Hagman as much as the next guy but $5 million would be a huge overpayment. I could see $2 or $3 million, but over $4 million is starting to stretch it let along $5 million. He's a great third line guy, but I just don't see him as a legitimate top six forward.

Mx 06-15-2008 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker (Post 14412382)
I'm sorry, I like Hagman as much as the next guy but $5 million would be a huge overpayment. I could see $2 or $3 million, but over $4 million is starting to stretch it let along $5 million. He's a great third line guy, but I just don't see him as a legitimate top six forward.

You might be surprised...but you're probably right. I guess I got a little carried away there. What I should have said was $2-5 BAJILLION. :m-dance:

rt 06-15-2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

I'd be suprised if a team went quite as high as four million. Even on a one or two year deal, (which I doubt he wants, anyway). I'm thinking around ten million over three years.

Lunatik* 06-15-2008 11:20 AM

I have Hagman pegged around 3.5 million per for 3-4 years... I would take him on the Flames as we could really use a solid 2nd line LW

Stars99Lobo37 06-15-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatik (Post 14414269)
I have Hagman pegged around 3.5 million per for 3-4 years... I would take him on the Flames as we could really use a solid 2nd line LW

3.5 Million? Are you joking.

If you want the Flames for that much, then go ahead and take him.

He had a great season for us and would love to have him back but not at the expense of 3.5 million.

2.5 would be as high as I would go with Hags and even that is a little high.

The problem with Hagman is that (well despite not even showing up for the playoffs) he creates everything on his own and doesn't need anyone around him. Why is that a problem you ask? I can't tell you how many times in the playoffs, he thought he could go in and score on his own when had he passed (which he NEVER does) the guy on his line would've been right there for the easy goal.

I enjoyed him on our team, and thank Florida for him as we gave up absolutely nothing. But I'm not willing to go high jolly on him when he probably won't touch our top two lines this year.

Sony Eriksson* 06-16-2008 08:25 AM

Quote:

I agree with the $$$ amount. He has been a decent player throughout his career but this is the year he really stepped it up. You can argue last year when he scored 17 goals and that was his emerging year but we all know this year was it. 2 good years out of 5 gets you a mid level offer of probably around 2.5 - 3 mil per year. If i were him i would sign a 2 year deal and then if he still produces then he will get in the range of 5 mil or higher based off performance. I really wish Dallas could sign him because he has proved himself to us and he deserves to be here during a great time in Dallas hockey. If he is not able to be here next year i hope he can go to a team with top notch scoring that would give him the chance to get the ice time and to produce. A team like Detroit, Ottawa, Pitt (Hagman would be a cheaper alternative to Malone if he doesnt re-sign) could use someone like Hagman.

Stars99Lobo37 06-16-2008 11:35 AM

Well.....he's sold his house and has told Dallas he will be looking for a new team, according to a Finnish Newspaper.

Caseman 06-16-2008 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pukboy8 (Post 14396989)
Yeah, Hag has that problem, but he's gotten a lot better at hitting the net, since he went to Dallas. In Florida, he had many chances due to his speed, but consitently shot for the nets above the glass.

I think a few teams could use him for his speed and tenacity, he just has to keep working on that shot of his.

He has the same problem. He might have had a breakout season statistically, but in the playoffs he had so many oppurtunities/break aways that he could not finish. If he fixed that part of his game, he might be a good second liner in my opinion.

Lunatik* 06-16-2008 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 (Post 14415384)
3.5 Million? Are you joking.

If you want the Flames for that much, then go ahead and take him.

He had a great season for us and would love to have him back but not at the expense of 3.5 million.

2.5 would be as high as I would go with Hags and even that is a little high.

The problem with Hagman is that (well despite not even showing up for the playoffs) he creates everything on his own and doesn't need anyone around him. Why is that a problem you ask? I can't tell you how many times in the playoffs, he thought he could go in and score on his own when had he passed (which he NEVER does) the guy on his line would've been right there for the easy goal.

I enjoyed him on our team, and thank Florida for him as we gave up absolutely nothing. But I'm not willing to go high jolly on him when he probably won't touch our top two lines this year.

the Flames will need a guy that can score alone since we have no scoring on our 2nd line at all :sarcasm:... but realistically Hagman will see 3-3.5 on the open market... such is the problem in weak UFA years... and considering the Flames need 2 wingers for their 2nd line and dont have a boatload of cap space... i think you will see Sutter make pitches for guys like Hagman and Ryder