HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Roenick talking retirement? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=52440)

MPFly 02-15-2004 11:42 AM

Roenick talking retirement?

Here is the tread from SI.com

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ick/index.html

Is it just talk as Hitch thinks?

ObeySteve 02-15-2004 11:43 AM

Roenick wouldn't just bring serious talks up in his interviews out of the blue if he wasn't at least considering it in some form or another.

I do think there is more than a 50% chance that this is his last season in the NHL, even if he does play in the playoffs.

Flyman 02-15-2004 11:55 AM

He seems to be really shaken off...

Rex88 02-15-2004 12:20 PM

That and the article in the Philly paper this am were very sad. To have him talk of retirement when he is still very good and one of the true characters that bring life to the NHL is sad.
Say it aint so JR.

jplush76 02-15-2004 12:21 PM

hey said on ABC with Darren Pang that he is considering it because it's his 9th concussion. that would SUCK big time, he's got a ton of good hockey in him still

nucks2001 02-15-2004 12:21 PM

He has had 9 concussions now. Isn't that more than Lindros? Either way, 9 concussions is an awful lot.

ObeySteve 02-15-2004 12:44 PM

We're going to lose the bulk of our roster sooner or later...

Mark Recchi: 36 years old
Eric Desjardins: 34 years old
John Leclair: 34 years old
Jeremy Roenick: 34 years old
Tony Amonte: 33 years old
Keith Primeau: 33 years old

Even assuming everyone besides Roenick stays healthy, all these men should be in retirement within 3 years.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 02-15-2004 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObeySteve
We're going to lose the bulk of our roster sooner or later...

Mark Recchi: 36 years old
Eric Desjardins: 34 years old
John Leclair: 34 years old
Jeremy Roenick: 34 years old
Tony Amonte: 33 years old
Keith Primeau: 33 years old

Even assuming everyone besides Roenick stays healthy, all these men should be in retirement within 3 years.

Hopefully, just in time for our young guys. I think you're right about Roenick though. He may open his mouth without thinking a lot but I also don't believe he'd be talking about it if he wasn't contemplating it.

Charge_Seven 02-15-2004 02:44 PM

Sad to hear from a hockey perspective, but it's crazy how many injuries in the past week or so have been good news for the Leafs...normally all the injuries happen to the Leafs, so we're upset about them. lol

Hopefully this is just him being a little cautious and he changes his mind, he adds to the league in his own special way, both positive and negative, but definitely a guy the league is better with than without.

Toonces 02-15-2004 03:18 PM

I agree, it's extremely sad to hear. Love him or hate him, Roenick is a class guy, and one of the best personalities the game has now. I would hate to see him retire, but seeing what a great personality he has, It would be horible to see a "freak" injury take that away from him.

My prediction is JR will return for the playoffs and play like a man on a mission. JR sees this team as his best chance at a cup(regardless of what cynical Flyer fans may say, this is how JR sees it.), and I expect him to do everything he can to win it this year.

If we somehow win it this year JR would likely retire, and he'd go down as a legend in Philadelphia.

Brokencow 02-15-2004 03:44 PM

JR is my favorite hockey player and im a san jose fan. The guy is grit, finness, strength, and heart all put into one player. I also kinda like him cause hes one of the few great american players.

Not to sound bad but i didn't even see what happened to him. I mean i heard, but is there any video or pictures? It's weird to see your favorite hockey player just dissapear. I need closure :(

dedalus 02-15-2004 05:14 PM

I'll say one thing, whether or not he retires this year, JR will ne day make a great color analyst. He knows his hockey, he's political, he speaks his mind.

Actually all that might be too dangerous for ESPN.

stanley 02-15-2004 05:23 PM

I don't know. On the rare occasion when I tie on a good one, I find myself swearing off liquor the next morning like Pat Robertson does Satan. When I find myself completely incapacitated, I REALLY mean it - for a couple of days. I'm not a big drinker by any means, but I've been known to tip a few from time to time.

My point is that I am going to wait a few days until JR has a chance to think about his situation. If he feels he's had enough and wants to retire, then so be it - after all, it's his life. But count me as one who will be surprised if he chooses to bow out.

ObeySteve 02-15-2004 05:26 PM

I'll stop talking about the Flyers franchise in general and stop to say that I do have an enormous amount of respect for Roenick, seeing how he's my favorite Flyer and probably my favorite NHL player. He's not afraid to speak his mind, and has an extreme amount of grit that no one else in the NHL could match if they were his age or in the same physical shape that he is due to his series of concussions.