HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Vladimir Vorobiev (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=524401)

dkich96 06-13-2008 11:51 PM

Vladimir Vorobiev

Does anyone remember why he didn't stick with the Rangers and why the rangers shipped him out? I remember him as a good prospect who played well at the NHL level and was not given a chance to cement his place in the line up.

eco's bones 06-14-2008 01:17 AM

As I remember Messier didn't like him. Mark didn't think he was playing with heart and soul.

Nemchinov13 06-14-2008 09:10 AM

I remember Vorobiev. Had a weird skating style - looked like a huge bird out there, with wings spread out, but pretty fast. Played a few games in 96-97 in injured Kovalev's spot on Messier's right. I thought he did pretty well. Then they've put David Oliver, Ken Gernander was tried there too (until a Flyer broke his arm, or something). Eventually, they've traded for Russ Courtnall.

GarretJoseph* 06-14-2008 09:54 AM

He had two goals in two games with the Oilers after us and then never played in the NHL again.. he didn't exactly light up the Russian league either.. he was an odd one.

Edge 06-14-2008 12:48 PM

He was a prospect who kind of came out of left field.

Late round pick who was an older rookie at the AHL level, but I think the consensus is that he was a bit of a tweener or AAAA player.

He could put up about a ppg at the AHL level, but probably wasn't quite gifted enough to be a top 6 forward at the NHL level, but didn't really play the type of game to be a bottom-six forward either.

In hindsight, he probably could've caught on somewhere in the NHL and been a player who plays until a younger option pushes him out. But that's not an appealing option to many European players because they can play back home, usually for more money, and play more.

BDubinskyNYR17* 06-14-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge (Post 14407350)
He was a prospect who kind of came out of left field.

Late round pick who was an older rookie at the AHL level, but I think the consensus is that he was a bit of a tweener or AAAA player.

He could put up about a ppg at the AHL level, but probably wasn't quite gifted enough to be a top 6 forward at the NHL level, but didn't really play the type of game to be a bottom-six forward either.

In hindsight, he probably could've caught on somewhere in the NHL and been a player who plays until a younger option pushes him out. But that's not an appealing option to many European players because they can play back home, usually for more money, and play more.

how about Johan Witehall, he has speed for the new nhl. lets sign him :naughty::p:

Edge 06-14-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCallahan43 (Post 14407396)
how about Johan Witehall, he has speed for the new nhl. lets sign him :naughty::p:

Lord, those were grim days.

BDubinskyNYR17* 06-14-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge (Post 14407446)
Lord, those were grim days.

johan lindbom christian dube, daniel goneau, chris tamer, eric larcroix colin forbes :cry:

Son of Steinbrenner 06-14-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eco's bones (Post 14405052)
As I remember Messier didn't like him. Mark didn't think he was playing with heart and soul.

If that was the case then why didn't Vorobiev make it on another team?

Edge 06-14-2008 03:41 PM

I don't think the issue was Messier.

There are two rookies I can remember rubbing vets the wrong way.

One was Daniel Goneau, who tickets off most of the vets with his attitude and never really caught on anywhere.

The second was Marc Savard, who ended up in Calgary more because of a bad decision than because vets wanted him off the team.

BwayBshirt 06-14-2008 06:29 PM

lord's truth, i was almost convincing myself, at one small point at that time, in getting a rangers jersey engraved with "vorobiev 39" on it...

:help:

94now 06-14-2008 07:57 PM

V.V. was a bust. Just that simple. Not as big loss as Tomas Klucek was later on. No one wore 39 since, but backup G for a game or two.

Nemchinov13 06-14-2008 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCallahan43 (Post 14407902)
johan lindbom christian dube, daniel goneau, chris tamer, eric larcroix colin forbes :cry:

Tim Sweeney, Brent Fedyk, Rumun Ndur; Bill Berg on the line with Wayne Gretzky,