HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Emery, Would you want him? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=524646)

Godfather 06-15-2008 09:13 AM

Emery, Would you want him?

There are teams that need a goalie. But then there are teams that need a goalie because the prospects arn't even close yet. I feel he would be a great fit with Legace.

I know the whole Ottawa thing and him, but it's over and he was told he isn't coming back. What are the thoughts on him with a bluenote on his sweater?

Twist and Shout 06-15-2008 09:15 AM

Yup, I'd take him. Leaf fan growing up too. I'd give him Raycroft's spot, though he'd probably be looking for and get a starting role somewhere.

Antropovsky 06-15-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twist And Shout (Post 14413383)
Yup, I'd take him. Leaf fan growing up too. I'd give him Raycroft's spot, though he'd probably be looking for and get a starting role somewhere.

I think he's worthy of another chance somewhere, but I don't think Toronto would be wise to give him an opportunity. Toskala has worked his arse off his entire career to be the #1 man, and last year he finally was given it, he's a great goalie....it wouldn't make sense to piss him off, especially with his contract up the year after the upcoming season.

voxel 06-15-2008 09:39 AM

At $3.1M/yr - that's a serious cap hit. I suspect all teams will say no to that.

Woodman19 06-15-2008 09:58 AM

I dont think any team would be willing to give a 1B goaltender a shot who has a history of attitude issues.

I think Ottawa is stuck with him until his contract runs out, or he starts playing like a Franchise Goalie for them, in which case they would keep.

Blind Gardien 06-15-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voxel (Post 14413451)
At $3.1M/yr - that's a serious cap hit. I suspect all teams will say no to that.

Presumably you get him as a free agent after the Sens buy him out, for considerably less than his current salary/cap hit.

voxel 06-15-2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 14413566)
Presumably you get him as a free agent after the Sens buy him out, for considerably less than his current salary/cap hit.

Which would be fine at that point... say $1.5M/yr or $2.25M/yr - and no assets traded and maybe even one year.

trentmccleary 06-15-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodman19 (Post 14413536)
I think Ottawa is stuck with him until his contract runs out, or he starts playing like a Franchise Goalie for them, in which case they would keep.

It's a 1/3rd buyout.
Ottawa could buy him out, take the 1/3rd cap hit, sign a back-up and still have a lot of money left over for another position (like $1-2M)... all under Emery's $3.17M per season.

A buyout is a no brainer at this point, unless Hartsburg begs Murray to keep him (the same day a comet hits Chad Kroeger's house).

If it were a 2/3rds buyout like for all of the old farts in the league... then they would have kept him and stood behind him like they did with Gerber.

habs_24x 06-15-2008 10:26 AM

Hes a distraction to the team. A buyout to me seems imminent.
As a Habs fan, i hope they keep him but i doubt theyre that stupid. I dont see any team taking him even as a free agent.

txpd 06-15-2008 11:58 AM

Ottawa will buy him out. He will end up in a place where they need a goaltender and where expectations and media scrutiny is reasonably light.

Professional athletes almost always get a second chance and so will Emery. Toronto sure ain't the place though. If Tampa Bay is not sold on Smith, I would suggest that location. LA might have too much media pressure, that might be an option.

Dragon Priest 06-15-2008 12:12 PM

If I were the Blues I wouldn't aquire him. Reason being if he is a distraction now with his attitude problems I wouldn't want that kind of player on a rebuilding Blues team. I would look to Theodore, Huet, Ellis or even Conklin if they hit the market to split time with Legace or take over the starting role until one of their goaltending prospects are ready.

Handlanger 06-15-2008 12:46 PM

Ray who?

heusy_79 06-15-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voxel (Post 14413575)
Which would be fine at that point... say $1.5M/yr or $2.25M/yr - and no assets traded and maybe even one year.

If he gets bought out, even as a free agent I can't see anyone giving him over a million. I'm thinking more along the lines of between the league minimum and $800,000. He's too much of a gamble. That being said, if no one had taken a chance on Emery by midseason, and Hiller was emerging in Anaheim to the point that team's in need of a number one were asking about him, I'd deal Hiller and sign Emery to a pro-rated one year deal.

Sear91 06-15-2008 02:08 PM

I think LA goes after him...

Andrighetto Fabolous 06-15-2008 02:54 PM

I hope a team signs Tortorella as a coach and then signs Emery if he's bought out. I'd love to see those 2 together, could probably even make a reality TV show with them. :sarcasm:

Nizdizzle 06-15-2008 03:20 PM

Too much talent, and young to go unsigned. If bought out he will find a home somewhere, and I'm sure they'll be very happy with him

Analyzer 06-15-2008 03:22 PM

How do you say no in street lingo?

Blind Gardien 06-15-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 14415688)
How do you say no in street lingo?

Ixnay on the Sugar Ray in street lingua. :dunno:

As long as Emery accepts that he's fighting for his career and that it might require him starting as #3 somewhere, then I doubt there will be any shortage of opportunities for him. If he's looking for guarantees in the NHL or to maintain his current lifestyle, well, the opportunities would probably be far fewer. I can't imagine it would be at all a good thing for the Leafs to consider him. For those of us outside Leaf Nation, it might be quite the sight to behold, however.

Mike Farkas 06-15-2008 03:39 PM

Minor league talent, terrible attitude...I guess I could use him to DJ a party or something, but as far as being an NHL goaltender, well, no, not any cost...

VikingAv 06-15-2008 03:45 PM

I'd rather keep Theo for 3-4 years at $4 mill per. And I don't want to keep Theo at all...

Twist and Shout 06-15-2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey287 (Post 14415835)
Minor league talent, terrible attitude...I guess I could use him to DJ a party or something, but as far as being an NHL goaltender, well, no, not any cost...

Rather, big league problem child talent with the potential to a become bonafied NHL starter.

Laoghaire 06-15-2008 03:48 PM

Yes.

shanthony 06-15-2008 03:48 PM

Chicago makes some sense. Khabibulin is nearing the end and they have really no prospect who projects into a #1. If they could get Emery on the cheap he could be a bigtime steal if Tallon can keep him under raps. Put him with a strong management group with a good support team (something similar to what the Cowboys are doing with Pacman Jones) and I think he will be a solid goalie in this league for many years.

Mike Farkas 06-15-2008 03:52 PM

I guess, I never saw the talent in Emery that everyone else saw...during the playoffs in '06 I thought that sealed it...he reminds me a lot of Robert Esche, another awful goaltender...Emery was just fortunate to be behind a great offense and the Phillips/Volchenkov pairing that, had they have played all 60 minutes, they would have blocked just as many shots as Emery did, but with fewer rebounds...

I was pretty sure this contract would be his last in the NHL before he signed it, but now I guess someone will try him out for less than a million and just hope...

Beerfish 06-15-2008 04:20 PM

I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. In my opinion he was overated to begin with. Had the attitude problem and misbehaviour even in the stanley cup year, essentially was a big part of the Sens falling apart and a coach being fired last year. I can't believe that any team in this league could not come up with a guy close to Emery's ability without the cancerous behaviour.