HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Alex Bourret (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=524756)

habs1988 06-15-2008 08:46 PM

Alex Bourret

Hey guys...

I would like to know your thoughts on this guy. I've heard good and bad things about him.

I can't understand why...I mean, he got decent number in the AHL.

Why do you expect from him?

I Eat Crow 06-15-2008 08:50 PM

He definitely has top 6 forward potential, but he has been derailed by injuries and setbacks in the past couple of years. He also seems to have some consistency issues. He has the tools, it's just a matter of him putting them all together, and staying healthy. He can turn into a hell of a player in a couple of years if he is lucky with his health.

NYR Viper 06-15-2008 08:53 PM

from what i have read on here is that last summer he plays with an edge and has great vision, however he is still working on his professionality, work ethic and consistency....i could be wrong but like i said from what i heard he has good games followed by bad games and he also cant stay healthy which supposedly stems from his offseason workouts from last year where he trained wrong.....at camp last year he looked good until he injured and had to be sent down....

if he can get his act together and train hard i have high hopes for him....i just think he is still learning to be a proffesional hockey player and how to be consistent.....IMO he can either turn into a playmaking, hard-hitting 2nd line winger or a 4th line grinder, depending on how serious he is in the next couple of years

eco's bones 06-15-2008 09:00 PM

He needs to show up to camp ready to go and with a good attitude. He spent most of last season being a minus player in Hartford with every other forward pluses. There were points during the season where he was around -10--finally getting back to even at the end of the season. His shot totals are low as well. 94 shots on goal in 54 games in the AHL for a player that some believe has top line NHL potential. On the good side--he's done well two seasons in a row in the playoffs. So far he's been too inconsistent, does not seem always to be in the best shape he can, another critique I've heard is that he makes high risk plays that can lead to spectacular goals for his team but also often backfire. It would seem that he needs to bear down more.

Inferno 06-15-2008 09:14 PM

Bourret, if he can ever get his head on straight, has top 2 line skills and ability, with the willingness to throw some big time hits. the caveat there though is monumental. who knows if he will ever get his head on straight. im willing to stick with it for 2 more seasons myself.

Carlos Ranger 06-15-2008 09:33 PM

All of his problems seem to be mental hurdles, and he has to work on his training and conditioning. With some time to mature I'm confident he has the skills to be a productive top 6 player.

DubiDubiDoo 06-15-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inferno272 (Post 14418436)
Bourret, if he can ever get his head on straight, has top 2 line skills and ability, with the willingness to throw some big time hits. the caveat there though is monumental. who knows if he will ever get his head on straight. im willing to stick with it for 2 more seasons myself.

Agreed, and the way he picks up his game in bigger situations has been a good sign. Ya know, sometimes a kid like this needs a chance at the big show, almost like he feels its the only place worth playing... Not saying thats a good trait, but sometimes a kid like that gets a chance and makes himself stick...i'm hopeful

The Thomas J.* 06-16-2008 05:24 AM

So there is not shot of him making the team this season. Maybe next year.

Refuse 06-16-2008 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Thomas J. (Post 14420707)
So there is not shot of him making the team this season. Maybe next year.

There's a shot alright... the question is which Bourret will turn up in traing camp? An out of shape lazy SOB or something completely different.

Edge 06-16-2008 08:56 PM

The talent is there to be a pretty good NHL player.

The problem is that potential is just a nice word to throw around unless it actually starts to manifest itself.

Right now, Bourret has not done that and as he enters his third pro season the clock is going to start ticking.

Right now he has to show he can be an effective AHL'er. Until then, it's hard to make any comment or prediction about his NHL abilities.

Son of Steinbrenner 06-16-2008 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge (Post 14426559)
The talent is there to be a pretty good NHL player.

The problem is that potential is just a nice word to throw around unless it actually starts to manifest itself.

Right now, Bourret has not done that and as he enters his third pro season the clock is going to start ticking.

Right now he has to show he can be an effective AHL'er. Until then, it's hard to make any comment or prediction about his NHL abilities.

Didn't he show up out of shape to training camp last season? I think he might be a bit of a mental case...kinda of the old baseball cliche of "million dollar arm and ten cent head"....

Burlington Bomb 26 06-16-2008 09:03 PM

Didn't he not do ranger's workouts for the off-season and he did his own or something like that?

JayMan82 06-16-2008 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner (Post 14426596)
Didn't he show up out of shape to training camp last season? I think he might be a bit of a mental case...kinda of the old baseball cliche of "million dollar arm and ten cent head"....

Actually, quite the opposite... He had a workout program (It was even on YouTube) and I think his problem was an offseason or a preseason injury, no?

Son of Steinbrenner 06-16-2008 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayMan82 (Post 14426644)
Actually, quite the opposite... He had a workout program (It was even on YouTube) and I think his problem was an offseason or a preseason injury, no?

yeah that was it..i knew it was something...weren't the rangers pissed about his workout routine? I think he showed up in atlanta out of shape...I don't know it would be pretty embarassing if i'm totally wrong and have the wrong guy...I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time...

maybe this is strike two for me in this thread...

I should try to find it myself and get it right..lol

Speedtrials 06-16-2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 (Post 14426627)
Didn't he not do ranger's workouts for the off-season and he did his own or something like that?

Yeah I could have sworn last summer there were a few youtube video's with him working out. I think at the time most thought he was doing a great job of preparing himself for training camp. However, while I am not positive about this, I thought I remember the workouts not being particularly conducive to hockey, and the Rangers weren't happy about his shape and cut him early?

Edge 06-16-2008 09:17 PM

I think he worked out but I believe there was some grumblings about working out the wrong way or something along those lines. My memory is a little fuzzy.

Having said that, it would be a shame if he wasted his talent.

In juniors he was undersized but stocky and was a good combination of scoring and peskiness.

So far the AHL level the scoring hasn't been there (and has actually taken a step back) and he hasn't been nearly as involved.

That happens to a lot of junior kids as they face bigger and stronger competition, but Bourret is certainly more capable than what he's shown.

Still you have to wonder about a former first round pick who's team gives up on him following a 114 point junior campaign and only 45 AHL games. He's done little since to rectify the situation.

Nemchinov13 06-16-2008 09:22 PM

He was in a great physical shape, but he was not in a hockey shape. That's what I've got.

Carlos Ranger 06-16-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 (Post 14426627)

This is true. I talked to his personal trainer and he said while Alex had some setbacks during his training he was still in terrific shape.. yet that didn't translate well to the ice. He also said he has been working on his "attitude and personality."

Levitate 06-16-2008 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DruMez (Post 14426986)
This is true. I talked to his personal trainer and he said while Alex had some setbacks during his training he was still in terrific shape.. yet that didn't translate well to the ice. He also said he has been working on his "attitude and personality."

Basically seems like he needs to grow up and learn how to be a professional. Not unheard of for a young player, and some can get away with it because of immense talent. I don't think I'd give up on him anytime soon though. If all it takes is him growing up a bit, then there's still time for that

squishy 06-16-2008 10:24 PM

Bourret's issues are all mental. Yes, he worked out last summer, but not in the way he should have, and as a result came into camp out of hockey shape. There was mention of a tweak in his shoulder (or something like that) early in camp, but that was nothing more than sugar coating -- he was practicing again in Hartford after his demotion in a day or two. The kid's got great skills, he just needs to decide to make the commitment to becoming a professional hockey player. Around mid-January he seemed to have an epiphany of sorts and was at least saying the right things about needing to be more mature. He also joined a health club, got a haircut, new suit, and seemed to be turning over a new leaf. But he was plagued by a variety of maladies all season, so it was hard to tell whether he really had. Guess we'll find out when he turns up for training camp in September.

Here's a quote from Ken Gernander on Bourret from this month's Blueshirt Bulletin:

Quote:

He didn't have a great season and has a lot of things to focus on in the summer to be prepared for training camp. It starts with conditioning, which is something an athlete can do in the summer if he wans to improve. Without that, you can't participate in the AHL or NHL. It's a competitive field and everybody wants to give themselves every edge. If you're not going to do those things to be in good shape, it's almost impossible for you to keep pace. He had a lot of injuries, a concussion that didn't allow him to work out, so he fell back. He has to improve in the offseason.

MikeyLikesHockey 06-17-2008 07:52 AM

Jason Doig

Sounds a lot like Jason Doig...dude was so worried about how his pecs looked, he would play d and go .... oooh look at my pecs.

Nich 06-17-2008 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayMan82 (Post 14426644)

i remember as well that the coaching staff didn't like the results he got. he got to bulky according to some things i saw, but then he had a injury in camp.

Lion Hound 06-17-2008 09:37 AM

I was very excited when they got Bourret. Thought Sather robbed Waddell on the deal. I guess he didn't have a great year or whatever, but one thing troubles me about the guy, and his chances to make it here in NY.

The Rangers are a team that lacks size up front. Gomez, Drury, and Dawes, are three players in th top 6 that are under 6 foot. Add Cally into the mix with Hollweg and maybe Sean Avery, I wonder if Bourret's size is holding him back some? Is there roon for another player under 6 foot on the club. Now granted Bourret doesn't play the game like his size suggests...he hit's hard! But..,again if Avery returns, and if Hollweg finds his way back onto the roster half of the team is under 6ft. If you add Prucha who is 6 ft but pushing maybe 170lbs, it to me is a glaring weaknss, and is part of what is holding Bourret back.

squishy 06-17-2008 10:24 AM

The only thing holding Bourret back is himself. It has nothing to do with his size.

Vitto79 06-17-2008 04:13 PM

At the time of the deal I also thought it was a good move

got Dupuis for Hall then Dupuis for a good prospect in Bourett and Dupuis was a FA.............in the end it was worth the risk AND Callahan got a chance to play full time with Dupuis out

Although I Dupuis would be a good addition if he was willing to come back on a 3rd line with Drury and Callahan

that would enable Prucha to move in a deal for a pick or D man

Bourett still has time but I think he will be dealt as others are ahead of him now