HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   NHL Players Headed to Sweden Next year? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=52539)

incawg 02-15-2004 06:35 PM

NHL Players Headed to Sweden Next year?

Here's an interesting article that lists some of the players that are rumoured to be heading to sweden next year in the event of a lockout and the clubs that they'd likely play for:

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=106206

It's in Swedish but it's not too hard to figure out :)

ShyCheetah 02-15-2004 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incawg
Here's an interesting article that lists some of the players that are rumoured to be heading to sweden next year in the event of a lockout and the clubs that they'd likely play for:

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=106206

It's in Swedish but it's not too hard to figure out :)

Geez, look at Modo's top line of Naslund Forsberg and Bert. Future top line in Vancouver perhaps... :rolly:

Question, what happens to all the players playing there this season? Unemployment line?

Shy.

leafaholix* 02-15-2004 11:54 PM

Tucker to Lulea?

Though it was a rumour during camp, I didn't really think it was too serious.

KM 02-16-2004 12:28 AM

how can players under contract go play in sweden?

Waveburner 02-16-2004 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KM
how can players under contract go play in sweden?

CBA Lockout...they would have to come straight back to the NHL if the lockout ended though I think...those under contract that is...

Predatore 02-16-2004 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShyCheetah
Question, what happens to all the players playing there this season? Unemployment line?

that is the major concern right now. I would guess that the SEL teams will try to lend out their players to Tier II teams .. so if the lock-out would be calles off they could recall their 'old' players from the second tier league.

felixd 02-16-2004 07:18 AM

Wow some of those teams are stacked! Modo especially, but the team that gets Lidstrom and Jonsson on defense should be pretty darn good too.

Pekka Lampinen 02-16-2004 07:45 AM

I was wondering what the alignments of foreign players were based on until I reached the bottom. Sami Kapanen was listed as Timrå-bound, based on his brother Kimmo playing there. You'd think that owning 50% of the Finnish team KalPa would be more of an incentive when choosing a team.

The sports sections of tabloid papers are always an "interesting" read.

LaVal 02-16-2004 11:05 AM

on top of that on MoDo the Sedins are likely candidates to head back

ObeySteve 02-16-2004 11:27 AM

4 different teams with Flyers players....hmmm....this could actually be interesting.

Nikkowar 02-16-2004 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObeySteve
4 different teams with Flyers players....hmmm....this could actually be interesting.

and they are?

littleHossa 02-16-2004 12:44 PM

Alfredsson and Axelsson are in the same team, lol. They look alike, names sound alike, have the same number. I bet Axelsson wouldn't look bad at all on Alfredsson's line back in Ottawa :)

Knucklez 02-16-2004 01:02 PM

MoDo looks like it would be a heck of a team. If there's no NHL next year, and these players do head over to Sweden, I'm going to try and follow it, somehow.

Faaxinho 02-16-2004 01:36 PM

Bertuzzi to MoDo? That would be fun to see. A player who plays physical game in league which is based on skill and tactical game.
(I'm not saying that Bertuzzi hasn't got any skills, though)

guinness 02-16-2004 02:24 PM

I'm confused as to why Salo would potentially play for Modo, while Lidstrom would play for HV 71, didn't they both play for Vasteras? (I know they fell into the Allsvenskan tier, but is it just a reporter throwing names out there?

Tricolore#20 02-16-2004 02:40 PM

I think if those Vancouver guys go play for MoDo, Sportsnet West will strike a deal to try and broadcast those games.

PhillyNucksFan 02-16-2004 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
I think if those Vancouver guys go play for MoDo, Sportsnet West will strike a deal to try and broadcast those games.

Haha, I guess it could provide some interst, since that could be a possible first line of Nas/Forsberg/Bert... GOD... that is ultimate dream line man............ cant even think about how good that would look, at least on paper... and Vancouver has 2 out of the 3 :yo: :yo:

I would try to follow Modo if all those players going o play for Modo. SEL looks like top end NHL all-stars league now.. :)

Modo is stacked and ready for the championship. (what do they call their championship??? anyone know? )

Lumac 02-16-2004 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guinness
I'm confused as to why Salo would potentially play for Modo, while Lidstrom would play for HV 71, didn't they both play for Vasteras? (I know they fell into the Allsvenskan tier, but is it just a reporter throwing names out there?

I dont know about Lidström, but I heard before that Salo is likley to go to MoDo because he is a quite close friend with Forsberg. And as you mentioned, Vasterås isn't in Elitserien anymore, so that makes his choice easier.

Jussi 02-16-2004 06:58 PM

I'd imagine Brian Rafalski heading to HIFK Helsinki instead of Brynäs. After all, he played 2 seasons there and only one in Sweden. Though the HIFK defense is pretty stacked now with 4 national team caliber players making the top 4.

Chevy Cheveldae 02-16-2004 07:59 PM

I saw somewhere that 2 of the biggest guns may not return home next season

Mats Sundin and Niklas Lidström are thinking about staying in NA

In Lidströms case it was something about his kids

Sundin, i don't know really - but he had a reason, i'll see if i can find it

Chevy Cheveldae 02-16-2004 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PizzapieZeppelin18
and they are?

Malmö - Kim Johnsson
Timrå - Sami Kapanen (his brother Kimmo is GK in Timrå with Corey Hirsch BTW)
MoDo - Matias Timander
Djurgården - Marcus Ragnarsson

IslesJack 02-16-2004 09:21 PM

k

Say there is a lock out and these guys leave to play in Sweden. Then say an agreement is reached after two months or a time period like that. Can these guys leave the teams in Europe to come back to the NHL or do they have to finish the year in Europe? because why would these stars leave to play in europe for chump change when they will make millions in the NHL. The players just say this garbage to try and win there public fights they start because they know the union is very weak especially after legit reports such as Arthur Levitt's.

littleHossa 02-16-2004 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslesJack
Say there is a lock out and these guys leave to play in Sweden. Then say an agreement is reached after two months or a time period like that. Can these guys leave the teams in Europe to come back to the NHL or do they have to finish the year in Europe? because why would these stars leave to play in europe for chump change when they will make millions in the NHL. The players just say this garbage to try and win there public fights they start because they know the union is very weak especially after legit reports such as Arthur Levitt's.

I think any player under contract is forced to return to the NHL as soon as any strike ends.
I feel bad for the usual swedish players right now, and the prospects in the 2nd and 3rd tier leagues, they won't get the proper icetime and development now that they'll be bumped even lower.

Raimo Sillanpää 02-17-2004 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweden
Malmö - Kim Johnsson
Timrå - Sami Kapanen (his brother Kimmo is GK in Timrå with Corey Hirsch BTW)
MoDo - Matias Timander
Djurgården - Marcus Ragnarsson

Sami Kapanen has stated that in event of strike/lockout he'll play for KalPa Kuopio in Mestis (a team he own half of).
Kapanen and Timonen will both be at KalPa, and will try to get them promoted (and unless the strike ends early or some other Mestis team signs NHL players then they will get promoted =( )

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussi
I'd imagine Brian Rafalski heading to HIFK Helsinki instead of Brynäs. After all, he played 2 seasons there and only one in Sweden. Though the HIFK defense is pretty stacked now with 4 national team caliber players making the top 4.

I'd expect HIFK to break the bank for Rafalski and Zidlicky..