HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Why Jarvis? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=52565)

Mooch 02-15-2004 08:21 PM

Why Jarvis?
 
Hey guys, could somebody fill me in on why he was chosen by gainey to teach the young guns. What does he bring, experience, Knowledge, ??.

Thanks in advance!

PrairieHabber 02-15-2004 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch
Hey guys, could somebody fill me in on why he was chosen by gainey to teach the young guns. What does he bring, experience, Knowledge, ??.

Thanks in advance!

Here are some of Jarvis' credentials:

-14 seasons (1988-2002) as an Assistant Coach with the Minnesota/Dallas Stars (all of that time with Gainey as Head Coach/GM)
-1 season as Player/Coach with Binghamton Whalers in 1987-88

Gainey is obviously very comfortable with Jarvis, having worked with him for a long time. During Gainey & Jarvis' time in Dallas they turned around a struggling hockey club by building on key draft picks, developing that young talent, and adding veteran free agents and trades. Some of the young talent that developed under them includes Mike Modano, Derian Hatcher, Sergei Zubov, Richard Matvichuk, etc. Obviously Jarvis was solely responsible for this, but he has a long and excellent track record.

Edit: Oops...forgot the word "not" in that last sentence, as in "not solely responsible"

Mooch 02-15-2004 08:41 PM

WOW, i hope jarvis can do something simular with our prospects.

maybe a, Kastitsyn=Modano type of thing (that would be amazing)

Thanks!

electric 02-15-2004 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch
WOW, i hope jarvis can do something simular with our prospects.

maybe a, Kastitsyn=Modano type of thing (that would be amazing)

Thanks!

Hahaha I wish we had someone like Modano...

PrairieHabber 02-15-2004 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch
WOW, i hope jarvis can do something simular with our prospects.

maybe a, Kastitsyn=Modano type of thing (that would be amazing)

Thanks!

That would be amazing but realistically let's hope they can help turn him into a solid top 2 line scoring forward. The Modano's of the NHL don't come along very often. He's been a top performer for a very long time (this year not included).

Rather Gingerly 1* 02-16-2004 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrairieHabber
Here are some of Jarvis' credentials:

-14 seasons (1988-2002) as an Assistant Coach with the Minnesota/Dallas Stars (all of that time with Gainey as Head Coach/GM)
-1 season as Player/Coach with Binghamton Whalers in 1987-88

Gainey is obviously very comfortable with Jarvis, having worked with him for a long time. During Gainey & Jarvis' time in Dallas they turned around a struggling hockey club by building on key draft picks, developing that young talent, and adding veteran free agents and trades. Some of the young talent that developed under them includes Mike Modano, Derian Hatcher, Sergei Zubov, Richard Matvichuk, etc. Obviously Jarvis was solely responsible for this, but he has a long and excellent track record.

Edit: Oops...forgot the word "not" in that last sentence, as in "not solely responsible"

That's not really a fair accessment. Modano was a first overall pick. Both Matvicuk and Hatcher were high picks also. Outside of being highly drafted stars who did Jarvis develop during all his years in Dallas? I'm talking late rounds picks like Michael Ryder, Markov, etc...

PrairieHabber 02-16-2004 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
That's not really a fair accessment. Modano was a first overall pick. Both Matvicuk and Hatcher were high picks also. Outside of being highly drafted stars who did Jarvis develop during all his years in Dallas? I'm talking late rounds picks like Michael Ryder, Markov, etc...

A couple of points:

First, being a higher draft pick never guarantees success. You need good coaching to help most players take it to the next level. Whether it's added motivation, defensive play or whatever, an 18 year never arrives NHL-ready.

Second, here are some mid to lower round picks that they developed:

-Jere Lehtinen - 4th round pick
-Roman Turek - 6th round pick
-Brad Lukowich - 4th round pick (by Isles but traded to Dal as 20 yr old)

No, there aren't any Michael Ryder's but most teams don't have many if any players on their rosters that they developed after selecting them lower than the 7th-8th round. My point is simply that Gainey and Jarvis (and later Hitchcock) built an excellent core of young players and added free agents where needed. They didn't start spending money on the free agent market until they drafted or traded for the core of their team.

My error regarding mentioning Zubov earlier. While the coaching staff didn't develop him, Gainey had the wisdom to trade for him as a 25 year old (from the Rangers).

Rather Gingerly 1* 02-16-2004 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrairieHabber
A couple of points:

First, being a higher draft pick never guarantees success. You need good coaching to help most players take it to the next level. Whether it's added motivation, defensive play or whatever, an 18 year never arrives NHL-ready.

Second, here are some mid to lower round picks that they developed:

-Jere Lehtinen - 4th round pick
-Roman Turek - 6th round pick
-Brad Lukowich - 4th round pick (by Isles but traded to Dal as 20 yr old)

No, there aren't any Michael Ryder's but most teams don't have many if any players on their rosters that they developed after selecting them lower than the 7th-8th round. My point is simply that Gainey and Jarvis (and later Hitchcock) built an excellent core of young players and added free agents where needed. They didn't start spending money on the free agent market until they drafted or traded for the core of their team.

My error regarding mentioning Zubov earlier. While the coaching staff didn't develop him, Gainey had the wisdom to trade for him as a 25 year old (from the Rangers).


That's not really a very good ratio considering all the years he spent with the Stars. How many years did the above poster saying he spent with the Stars? Only developing three mid-late round picks. That's well below average

Mike Modano was a star with the Dallas organization or without them. His talent is outstanding. They never made him. Same with Matvichuk and Hatcher. It's no credit to Jarvis bringing up a young superstar like that.

All-Star 02-16-2004 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
That's not really a very good ratio considering all the years he spent with the Stars. How many years did the above poster saying he spent with the Stars? Only developing three mid-late round picks. That's well below average

Mike Modano was a star with the Dallas organization or without them. His talent is outstanding. They never made him. Same with Matvichuk and Hatcher. It's no credit to Jarvis bringing up a young superstar like that.

Jarvis was an assistant coach, not the head coach, so he's not responsible for having ever brought up anyone.

What Gainey sees in him is untapped head coaching potential. The guy worked for Gainey, so Bob must know what Jarvis brings to the table...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.