HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Canadiens 2008 draft preview (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=525766)

HF Article 06-19-2008 12:00 AM

Canadiens 2008 draft preview

The Canadiens hold the No. 25 pick in the 2008 draft.

Read full article...

le_sean 06-19-2008 01:16 AM

Ugh, Gardiner? I don't know. I guess if he dropped he would be the BPA. But with Subban, Weber and Carle, who needs more offensive d-men, especially in the first round?

McTusk 06-19-2008 01:18 AM

He was only a Mr. Hockey finalist, don't they know anything about the Habs. :sarcasm:

cjbhab* 06-19-2008 01:51 AM

draft will be legitimate.

Le depisteur 06-19-2008 07:56 AM

Gardiner... :cry:

Freaky Habs Fan 06-19-2008 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le depisteur (Post 14455758)
Gardiner... :cry:

He's gonna be a good one, but because he's a defenceman, I wouldn't be thrilled...but still, I'm trusting Timmins and his crew.

Darz 06-19-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_sean (Post 14454732)
Ugh, Gardiner? I don't know. I guess if he dropped he would be the BPA. But with Subban, Weber and Carle, who needs more offensive d-men, especially in the first round?

With no guarantees that any of the above mentioned names will become successful at the NHL level, I am in the group that says you can never have enough young blueline talent. Adding forwards thru free agency is easier than adding quality dmen.

With that being said, if Gardiner and a forward whom Timmins felt was very close as the BPA when the habs picked, I guess I'd rather have the forward at this point.

CanadienErrant* 06-19-2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz (Post 14456500)
With no guarantees that any of the above mentioned names will become successful at the NHL level, I am in the group that says you can never have enough young blueline talent. Adding forwards thru free agency is easier than adding quality dmen.

With that being said, if Gardiner and a forward whom Timmins felt was very close as the BPA when the habs picked, I guess I'd rather have the forward at this point.

So "adding forwards thru free agency" is EASY...

How come the Habs are unable to get some good ones ?

This team needs badly a sniper or another strong power forward.

Darz 06-19-2008 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadienErrant (Post 14456541)
So "adding forwards thru free agency" is EASY...

How come the Habs are unable to get some good ones ?

This team needs badly a sniper or another strong power forward.

Adding forwards isn't EASY, but I think your chances of adding an offensive forward in the free agent market is EASIER that adding a offensive defenceman in the free agent market strictly because there are so few offensive defenceman around.

Also teams are ALWAYS looking for young dman, so trading is always a route as well.

le_sean 06-19-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz (Post 14456500)

But in that case I'd rather take Ness whose offensive skills are pretty elite whereas Gardiner might seem like an offensive type right now, but how would they translate to upper levels of hockey? Kind of like David Fischer. Offensive in high school, not too sure about afterwards. Ness on the other hand is more of a project and risk, but high reward (a la Mike Green).

Darz 06-19-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_sean (Post 14456886)
But in that case I'd rather take Ness whose offensive skills are pretty elite whereas Gardiner might seem like an offensive type right now, but how would they translate to upper levels of hockey? Kind of like David Fischer. Offensive in high school, not too sure about afterwards. Ness on the other hand is more of a project and risk, but high reward (a la Mike Green).

I agree that if everything is relatively equal, I would rather see the habs nab a forward in the first round, but if Gardiner is Timmins BPA when its the habs turn to pick, I'll be happy with that pick,

....not because it will nessesarily be the pick I wanna see, but because I trust that he is the BPA in Timmins mind.

In Timmins I trust.

kyne 06-19-2008 12:09 PM

I've heard nothing but good things about Gardiner so I wouldn't be terribly upset if the Habs took him. He seems like a high risk but potentially very high reward type of choice. I read that he's going to Wisconsin next year which has a pretty good program from what I understand. He'll likely get a lot of ice time on a Badgers team that is short of defensemen.

hogtownhabsfan* 06-19-2008 12:38 PM

Purifying ourselves in the waters of Lake Minnetonka? I'd rather not. Another Minnesota defenceman would continue a trend, but no way do I see us going that route 3 years in a freaking row.

Analyzer* 06-19-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

You mean if he falls drastically in the 2nd round? Someone would have to really like this kid to take him in the first round.

Teufelsdreck 06-19-2008 12:48 PM

Draft picks after the first 5 or so seldom go as expected, especially since there's always the possibility of a trade up or down. There's never been a draft year when all 30 NHL teams selected players in the exact order they were rated, +/-↕2.

Whitesnake 06-19-2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

I have plenty of confidence, though he might be considered as a project 'cause he moved from forward to d-men not so long ago, that he has everything you need to become better than the 3 you mentioned.

I wouldn't hate that a bit. I would love to see us using our prospects d-men like Weber or even Carle for something else though.

GNick42 06-19-2008 04:01 PM

i hope we make some noise at the draft, like trade up and add a #1 center. but i imagine we will be quiet as usual