HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Any interest in Brian McGrattan? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=525904)

GNick42 06-19-2008 12:25 PM

Any interest in Brian McGrattan?

Could be done in Ottawa.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...23286-sun.html

Bronn 06-19-2008 12:33 PM

I like McGratts and i'd take him as a #13forward/enforcer but i'm pretty sure you won't find many people who agree with that idea around here.

I don't think Gainey has any interest in adding a legitimate heavyweight enforcer either.

Bullsmith 06-19-2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GNick42 (Post 14458785)

Based on Carbo's reaction to the "do we need a goon" question last year, I have to assume that McGratton's not on our radar. But personally I think he's one of the better tough guys out there. Can play a little and is relatively tough to sucker into taking bad penalties. Plus he's hard as nails.

Won't happen, I don't think. But I wouldn't be upset if it did.

le_sean 06-19-2008 12:36 PM

As stickboy? Sure. Other than that he's a waste of space.

Teufelsdreck 06-19-2008 12:37 PM

Whom would he replace?

Analyzer 06-19-2008 12:38 PM

I say if you're going to get a tough guy, make sure it's a guy who wins a fight, or two and can do other things.

LilWinger11 06-19-2008 12:41 PM

I don't have a problem with bringing in a McGrattan-type player, but only if he can take a regular shift on the fourth line without being a liability. I haven't seen a lot of McGrattan, but comments about him on the Sens board don't lead me to believe that he's that kind of player. Add in the fact that he was a healthy scratch pretty frequently last year, and I'm gonna pass on him.

Andrighetto Fabolous 06-19-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck (Post 14458989)
Whom would he replace?

Jimmy Bonneau, in the ECHL.

Bronn 06-19-2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Whom would he replace?

Whoever doesn't get the job done when things get rough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilWinger11 (Post 14459050)
I don't have a problem with bringing in a McGrattan-type player, but only if he can take a regular shift on the fourth line without being a liability. I haven't seen a lot of McGrattan, but comments about him on the Sens board don't lead me to believe that he's that kind of player. Add in the fact that he was a healthy scratch pretty frequently last year, and I'm gonna pass on him.

This is exactly why i wanted Brashear when he was a UFA but it's too late now i guess.

Teufelsdreck 06-19-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Label (Post 14459088)
Whoever doesn't get the job done when things get rough.

This is exactly why i wanted Brashear when he was a UFA but it's too late now i guess.

I'd rather invest his potential salary in a player who'd be more useful.

Bronn 06-19-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck (Post 14459258)
I'd rather invest his potential salary in a player who'd be more useful.

That's another way of seeing it and i don't disagree with it. It's just that i'm a bit tired of seeing Kostopoulos getting his ass kicked all the time :laugh:

Monctonscout 06-19-2008 01:41 PM

I'd take him as a 13th or 14th forward but I don't think Gainey and Carbo want that type of player.

GNick42 06-19-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

He would have got much more playing time the last few seasons if Ottawa didn't all ready have Neil

Tucker316* 06-19-2008 03:12 PM

Since when did Montreal and it's fans become so soft? They all want high skill, no grit. You cant win with a bunch of skill players, you need the right mix. We have no tough guys, we play soft boring poppy music at the bell centre, and we have a new younger fanbase now that doesnt get the Habs ruled when they had toughness added to their talent. Is that shocking? Not at all.

Shape up, Montreal.

WeThreeKings 06-19-2008 03:13 PM

None.

Analyzer 06-19-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Laraque would fight this perfectly... if he wanted to play here.

Drunk World Order 06-19-2008 05:57 PM

He or George or Godard would be a good pick up...this team needs an enforecer...especially when we go against teams like Boston and others...Lucic was challenging every one last year...I doubt he would do that if McGratton or others were sitting on the bench!!!;)

Ice Poutine 06-19-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Whom would he replace?

Patrice Brisebois.

Beakermania* 06-19-2008 08:13 PM

McGratton Sucks as a hockey player...

Pass.... I want a player who can fight and we can put out on the ice for more than 2 minutes a game or no goon at all.

Corey 06-19-2008 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Label (Post 14459417)
That's another way of seeing it and i don't disagree with it. It's just that i'm a bit tired of seeing Kostopoulos getting his ass kicked all the time :laugh:

The Habs don't lose because TK gets his ass kicked once in awhile. It's a sideshow. TK is a better player than McGrattan. McGrattan takes penalties rather than kiling them.

BLONG7 06-20-2008 07:14 AM

No to McFrattan...how about a Chris Neill? That's the type of player we need!

habs24 06-20-2008 11:11 AM

Well the Habs already lost out on Hordichuck. He would have been a UFA if the Hurricanes never dealt for him. So I would make a pitch for Gratts,Riley Cote, or Godard. They need someone to toughen up this ********* lineup

Bronn 06-20-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey (Post 14467041)
The Habs don't lose because TK gets his ass kicked once in awhile. It's a sideshow. TK is a better player than McGrattan. McGrattan takes penalties rather than kiling them.

Of course it's a sideshow but could we for once get an enforcer that doesn't lose all the time ? I mean the Downeys , Murrays and Kostopoulos (they aren't full time enforcer but still) of this world don't scare anybody and the last one we had that was somewhat decent was Darren Langdon.

Ivanans could have been that guy but Bob got rid of him after he got pwned by Chara (which is nothing to be ashamed of). He's actually a pretty decent skater for a guy of his size and even scored 6 goals for the Kings this year. Unless many other heavyweights in the league , he can actually take a shift without being a complete liability out there so i don't understand why we got rid of him so quickly.

le_sean 06-20-2008 11:48 AM

Begin and Kostopoulos are more useful to us than some no talent goon.

For people who believe they need a tough guy please look at the number of fighting majors the Red Wings had this year.

Bronn 06-20-2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_sean (Post 14474731)
Begin and Kostopoulos are more useful to us than some no talent goon.

Of course they are but it's not like he would play 82 games either. You insert him in the lineup when you know that things will get rough (see the "moral victory" game against the Bruins last year) or when you want to spice things up a bit and light a fire under some *****.

It worked well for the Ducks when the won the cup 2 years ago.