HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Is Pacioretty Expendable? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=526016)

Beaker 06-19-2008 05:21 PM

Is Pacioretty Expendable?

Bob says he's aiming short term. This isn't a long term project anymore. He feels we're a couple of players away from winning it all. What if another GM wants our top prospect, who I personally feel is Pacioretty. Big, skilled, tough- just like Bob didn't hesitate to trade Iginla for final pieces, would he trade away Pacioretty? (Don't assume I think Pacioretty=Iginla...)

So how do you guys feel about Max; is he expendable or do we stay away from anything that involves him going the other way?

Edit: Realize when I say superstar only, you have to take into account exactly what 'superstars' are being shopped. Example, Jokinen? Gaborik?

Bermy 06-19-2008 05:23 PM

It depends what player we would get in return for him

Magic33 06-19-2008 05:24 PM

i mean, im sure it depends on whats being offered. it would be ridiculous to say we wouldnt trade paci if there were a deal that would send someone great (ex: malkin) our way.

however, i doubt we will be trading for a player like malkin, and timmins seems really high on paci, so for a minor deal like BG will prob make, i doubt paci will be included

Beaker 06-19-2008 05:25 PM

I personally have mixed feelings when it comes to trading Pacioretty. I have high hopes for him, he's everything we need. If I saw him leave in a trade I'd be definitely a little sad about it, but I also want to win...

Habs 4 Life 06-19-2008 05:25 PM

I really think the Habs will not touch both Pacioretty and McDonagh.

Chipchura,Fisher and the rest are all available but not the first 2 IMO

Evil Ted 06-19-2008 05:26 PM

I would move Latendresse before MaxPac, they play the same spot and Max is a much better skater not to mention more intense, maybe not as skilled though.

Bermy 06-19-2008 05:26 PM

He seems like a promising prospect, I want to see how he does first before we think of trading him

Blades 0f Steel 06-19-2008 05:28 PM

Full trust in Bob, I just want to commend you on using the word 'expendable' and not 'expandable'.

Bronn 06-19-2008 05:29 PM

Since he's still a prospect and unproven then yes he is expendable if the right deal come along. I mean 95 % of this board seems to love him as a prospect (including me) but it's not like he's a generational talent or anything.

Our only prospect who is as close as untouchable as they come is Price and even then i wouldn"t say that he is at 100%. Everyone else is fair game if the right deal come along and if it help us win another cup (IE : a la Iginla for Nieuwendyk).

Beaker 06-19-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel (Post 14464008)
Full trust in Bob, I just want to commend you on using the word 'expendable' and not 'expandable'.

Ahah, thank you :D

Sure, I fully trust as well, but if I see Max being successful on another team while we still haven't won our cup... :rant:

giovanni 06-19-2008 05:46 PM

no. he is the kind of guy we are missing on the team. He has the balls to go fight for the along the borads and he can score many goals. i would give up Higgins in a second if it were to keep Pacioretty in Montreal.

Analyzer 06-19-2008 05:50 PM

He's a big, tough guy with soft hands. Our team is already lacking poor forward pool, so we can only trade him for something good.

Corey 06-19-2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montrealistic (Post 14463889)
Bob says he's aiming short term. This isn't a long term project anymore. He feels we're a couple of players away from winning it all. What if another GM wants our top prospect, who I personally feel is Pacioretty. Big, skilled, tough- just like Bob didn't hesitate to trade Iginla for final pieces, would he trade away Pacioretty? (Don't assume I think Pacioretty=Iginla...)

So how do you guys feel about Max; is he expendable or do we stay away from anything that involves him going the other way?

Edit: Realize when I say superstar only, you have to take into account exactly what 'superstars' are being shopped. Example, Jokinen? Gaborik?

Anyone on the Habs (except possibly Price) could be traded in the right circumstances. I voted that I wouldn't trade Pacioretty except in a deal for a superstar. He's a type of player the Habs need, judging from the way they performed in the recent playoffs.

I don't like the term expendable. It suggests he isn't needed. Was this thread started out of nervousness that Pacioretty would eclipse Latendresse? That's a possibility, of course. Both have potential. We'll have to wait a few years to appreciate the eventual roles of these two young players on the Habs.

znk 06-19-2008 06:00 PM

He appears to be a legitimate powerfoward. I cant say we've had a ton of these. We'd have to get something real good in return....and have something in line to fill the powerforward role.

Ice Poutine 06-19-2008 06:04 PM

Not to be a dick here but there is no way that Bob considers Max Pacioretty expendable. He's a jewel in the rough and he's here to stay for a long time.

Adam91 06-19-2008 06:43 PM

MaxPac would be of the prospects I'd be least willing to move.

WeThreeKings 06-19-2008 06:43 PM

Everything we need on this team.

I'd say no.

Pascal 06-19-2008 06:55 PM

Last I checked we don't have a single big rugged winger who can score. No, Lats doesn't count.

Maxpac 06-19-2008 07:01 PM

hell no mother ****er

Habs10Habs 06-19-2008 07:04 PM

I would say only for a superstar, but hopefully Pac stays with us for a long time.

ed ible* 06-19-2008 07:08 PM

You dont get free steal picks like Max and then trade them away the next year...........just doesnt make sense when trying to build.

Habs10Habs 06-19-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed ible (Post 14465384)
You dont get free steal picks like Max and then trade them away the next year...........just doesnt make sense when trying to build.

See that's the thing, we have passed the "Build" stage. We are at or near the contending stage.

WeThreeKings 06-19-2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs10Habs (Post 14465482)
See that's the thing, we have passed the "Build" stage. We are at or near the contending stage.

Not yet.

We made the second round. And lost to the Flyers. We're not there yet.

Habs10Habs 06-19-2008 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeThreeKings (Post 14465538)
Not yet.

We made the second round. And lost to the Flyers. We're not there yet.

True, but we are a lot closer to being a contender. Then we are to being considered still in the rebuilding mode.

Monctonscout 06-19-2008 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giovanni (Post 14464274)
no. he is the kind of guy we are missing on the team. He has the balls to go fight for the along the borads and he can score many goals. i would give up Higgins in a second if it were to keep Pacioretty in Montreal.

Higgins is a proven commodity and Pacioretty is not. How do you know Pacioretty will ever play an NHL game? He's a good prospect but sometimes good prospects end up playing 4 years ECHL.