HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Biggest Rivalry? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=52607)

Rails 02-16-2004 12:07 AM

Biggest Rivalry?

Well?

Toonces 02-16-2004 12:11 AM

Devils

Winston Wolf 02-16-2004 01:20 AM

Devils

Whinks 02-16-2004 01:37 AM

I picked Flyers-Rangers ...BTW, you 2 both said Devils, but theres only 1 vote for them. Who lied :eek:

Flyers26 02-16-2004 05:16 AM

I still think it's the Rag$, with the Debs a realclose 2nd.

anonymous* 02-16-2004 05:50 AM

Rangers-longer history and second city status of Philly

One thing we have in common with the Devil's- hating the Rangers. Plus the hatred of Devils has more to do with inferiority complex, you have to win more than Philly has in recent history. I know the Devils play us tough but they don't hate us the way we hate them in my opinion.

The only thing we have in common with Rangers-We all hate Lindros, Holik, and Sather! :joker: :yo:

dedalus 02-16-2004 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymous
The only thing we have in common with Rangers-We all hate Lindros, Holik, and Sather! :joker: :yo:

Actually I think you'll find that most Ranger fans are rather pro-Lindros. I hated the trade and still do, but Lindros has been a pretty good Ranger. He's kept his mouth shut and been a good soldier. Nary a peep has come from his parents.

Holik will get you a more split response because of his mouth, but there's no way you can say all Ranger fans hate him. I'd put the numbers around 50/50.

Sather ... yeah ... well he can fall down a long flight of steps and few are the Ranger fans who would be willing to give him even an aspirin at the bottom.

Flyman 02-16-2004 07:19 AM

Rangers. Just because of the history between the wo clubs.
And the Devs close second...

MojoJojo 02-16-2004 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedalus
I hated the trade and still do, but Lindros has been a pretty good Ranger.

For the love of god why? I wouldnt trade either Kim Johnsson or Sami Kapanen for Lindros. I might trade Donald Brashear for him. But that deal basically brought us all three for Melon head (who might never return) and a few prospects/picks.

I would have voted for the Rangers a couple years ago. At this point they are just too pathetic to even care that much about. Devils are easily at the top of the list. After that, its a toss up between Leafs and Sens.

dedalus 02-16-2004 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
For the love of god why?

Why what? Why did I hate the trade and still do? Why has Lindros been a pretty good Ranger?

Dykhuis26 02-16-2004 10:04 AM

Last year I remember the ESPN guys saying that Philadelphia views the Devils as their biggest rival, but the Devils don't feel the same. And part of the reason is that a rivalry has to be competitive. And I'm ashamed to admit that the Flyers always get beaten by the Devils when it counts.
For my money, our biggest current rival is Toronto. The games are always competitive, nasty, and exciting. The two teams genuinely dislike each other. That to me is where rivalries start.

BrimFullofAsham45 02-16-2004 10:07 AM

Leafs

or Rangers

Pens and Devils used to be great rivals, but games with them aren't the same as they were several years back.

Fire Bobby Clarke 02-16-2004 10:25 AM

I went with the debbies....but I think the Flyer/Leaf rivalry has picked up over the last few years, especially for us Flyer fans in Ontario...nothing like beating the leafs.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 02-16-2004 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Bobby Clarke
I went with the debbies....but I think the Flyer/Leaf rivalry has picked up over the last few years, especially for us Flyer fans in Ontario...nothing like beating the leafs.

When you live in a community with 60% Leafs fans, 30% Habs fans, 8% everybody but the Flyers...leaving roughly 2% of us to cheer, the Leafs/Flyers becomes a huge rivalry. I would say that this could vary immensely depending on your Geographical area.

ObeySteve 02-16-2004 10:33 AM

Devils....none of the other 3 are big enough contenders to be a challenge when we play them, thus the rivalry is drastically less.

Brad* 02-16-2004 10:42 AM

New Jersey.

Rails 02-16-2004 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whinks
I picked Flyers-Rangers ...BTW, you 2 both said Devils, but theres only 1 vote for them. Who lied :eek:

Toonces didn't vote. I checked the results after he posted and it was all zero.

BrindA17 02-16-2004 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dykhuis26
Last year I remember the ESPN guys saying that Philadelphia views the Devils as their biggest rival, but the Devils don't feel the same. And part of the reason is that a rivalry has to be competitive. And I'm ashamed to admit that the Flyers always get beaten by the Devils when it counts.
For my money, our biggest current rival is Toronto. The games are always competitive, nasty, and exciting. The two teams genuinely dislike each other. That to me is where rivalries start.

That's an excellent point.

I did vote for the devils, but now that I think about it, they probably don't even look at the Flyers as a challenge. If this poll were who do you hate the most, lol, then my vote would stand. Otherwise, I think it would be either NYR or Tor.

DJ Spinoza 02-16-2004 11:48 AM

As the enemy, I felt obligated to vote on your poll here.

Even though the Pens suck, it just runs in my blood.

Now hate me back. :p ;)

Fire Bobby Clarke 02-16-2004 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
When you live in a community with 60% Leafs fans, 30% Habs fans, 8% everybody but the Flyers...leaving roughly 2% of us to cheer, the Leafs/Flyers becomes a huge rivalry. I would say that this could vary immensely depending on your Geographical area.

I live in Hamilton and the leafs are huge here...(Sabres have some good fan support in the city as well) All my friends and Familly are Leaf fans...and I mean every single one of them...When Philly beats the Leafs I am on Cloud 9 for the day always rubbing my friends and familly...it's great.

Nikkowar 02-16-2004 12:15 PM

I'd have to say Rag$. After seeing the game last Sat,how can anyone say that this rivalry has died down? Second would be the Leafs,come playoff time,or whatever time the Leafs are here,it's always been a war-sure the games have been blowouts,but it's always been strong,physical games. As for the Devils,I'm torn here,but the rivalry has died down,as have the Phl/Pitts one also.

ObeySteve 02-16-2004 12:18 PM

Of course, this poll was timed perfectly.

Any other time of the season, the Flyers-Devils would get 80% of the votes.

capn89* 02-16-2004 12:44 PM

Why aren't the Leafs an option?

easton122 02-16-2004 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capn89
Why aren't the Leafs an option?

Toronto - Ottawa is a bigger rivalry than Toronto - Philly.

anonymous* 02-16-2004 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedalus
Actually I think you'll find that most Ranger fans are rather pro-Lindros. I hated the trade and still do, but Lindros has been a pretty good Ranger. He's kept his mouth shut and been a good soldier. Nary a peep has come from his parents.

Holik will get you a more split response because of his mouth, but there's no way you can say all Ranger fans hate him. I'd put the numbers around 50/50.

Sather ... yeah ... well he can fall down a long flight of steps and few are the Ranger fans who would be willing to give him even an aspirin at the bottom.

It was meant as a joke, but it seems Lindros might be closer to 50/50 as well.

The rest of the Lindros comments are conjecture unless you're an insider you would have no knowledge of Lindros' mouth being shut or his parents not peeping. The only reason it came out in the press in Philly is because of Clarke and I doubt Sather would want it out that he's having the same problems and had more than fair warning.