HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Turco playing despite broken foot.. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=52647)

Ajacied 02-16-2004 08:56 AM

Turco playing despite broken foot..

Read: Turco stands tall despite injury

Quote:

Fort Worth Star-Telegram Stars goalie Marty Turco has been playing with a broken left foot for the past few weeks, according to a report in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram Monday. Turco suffered the injury during a morning skate in Vancouver on January 19 when he was hit in the foot by a Philippe Boucher shot.

"It's not healed ... well, maybe it is," Turco told the Star-Telegram. "I don't know. It doesn't really matter. Yeah, it hurts. But it's not that bad."

With backup Ron Tugnutt struggling in goal and then getting injured, and the Stars having no other goalie in the system who has played in an NHL game, Turco has been carrying the load in the net for the Stars. He says he has no problem with that.

"Eventually it will get better, but when the focus is on, it's on," Turco told the Star-Telegram. "We're on a great roll, and I wanted to continue to be a part of it."

Turco has played 56 of the team's 58 games this season and has played in 31 straight games, including 30 starts

Since suffering the injury, he has started and completed all 11 games and posted a 7-2-2 record with a 2.63 goals-against average, a .906 save percentage and two shutouts.

His 3-0 shutout against the Blues on Jan. 23 "was the finest performance by a goalie this year," Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock said.

Even on a busted foot, Turco started in the NHL All-Star Game.
Pretty amazing, I knew Turco was a winner but this is unheard of. It also just goes on to show how low Tugnutt has fallen, seems to me he is that bad that they let Turco play regardless if he's healthy.

BTW, what is the record for most games played as well as most games started in a row?

EDIT: During this stretch, Turco gave up 24 goals in about 667 minutes (11 games). Shouldn't his GAA be 2.16?

GB 02-16-2004 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modano = God
BTW, what is the record for most games played as well as most games started in row?

Either 502 or 508 by Glenn Hall.

Ajacied 02-16-2004 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB Editor
Either 502 or 508 by Glenn Hall.

Alright.. then he has some ways to go.. :p

Kevin Forbes 02-16-2004 10:30 AM

Quote:

Alright.. then he has some ways to go.. :p

lol

that's impressive nonetheless
Dallas should really get the guy some support
are any of their prospects close to ready?

TMac21 02-16-2004 10:33 AM

I am thinking of taking him in my pool this week, is that a good idea now M=G or should I pick someone else in case Turco doesn't get his starts?

BigDman 02-16-2004 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forbesy
lol

Tugnutt is in Utah getting "ready"

Ajacied 02-16-2004 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forbesy
lol

Even if there were, Turco refuses to accept a day off unless he feels like it. The closest goalie being NHL ready is probably Dan Ellis.. maybe Mike Smith as well. The former with a promesing future, the latter being a Turco clone the way he handle's the puck. Jason Bacashihua should've been the frontrunner but he has struggled with inconsistencies ever since being drafted. And the Stars top goalie prospect is currently recovering in Swiss. All have no NHL experience what so ever so may Turco go down with a more serious injury, Tugnutt should at least be capable of getting a .900% if the defense steps it up. Either way we are probably doomed if that happens..

Ajacied 02-16-2004 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMac21
I am thinking of taking him in my pool this week, is that a good idea now M=G or should I pick someone else in case Turco doesn't get his starts?

Not considering injuries or suspensions, Turco will likely play between 75 and 80 games. He has the endurance, consistency and comittment to play that much every single season.

TMac21 02-16-2004 10:41 AM

Quote:

Not considering injuries or suspensions, Turco will likely play between 75 and 80 games. He has the endurance, consistency and comittment to play that much every single season.

Sounds good, i'll keep him in there.

SmokeyClause 02-16-2004 10:52 AM

Quote:

Pretty amazing, I knew Turco was a winner but this is unheard of.

Vokoun played with a broken foot if I'm not mistaken. Some goalies don't play if their finger nails hurt. Some goalies just play.

Joe T Choker 02-16-2004 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Vokoun played with a broken foot if I'm not mistaken. Some goalies don't play if their finger nails hurt. Some goalies just play.

Yup he sure did Smokey, while Dungham was nursing his pinky, Vokoun played on a broken foot.

wazee 02-16-2004 11:45 AM

The Kings injury bug keeps spreadiing and mutating. It has gone from infecting Kings players to bring down ex-Kings players, and now ex-Kings players with no apparent symptoms are infecting their teammates with injuries. where will it all end?

Free Torts 02-16-2004 11:51 AM

Couldn't he potentially make his injury a lot worse if he continues to play on it? Not bashing Turco at all, but it'd be interesting to get a medical opinion.

OMA 02-16-2004 11:56 AM

That's pretty impressive. You'd have to think that a broken foot would have a huge impact on the goaltender's ability to perform. But Turco's played really well and proving that he can be a consistent elite goalie. Good for him. :handclap:

Just to add to the list of goalies who played with injuries, try this one. Jamie McLennan played 8 games with a fractured sternum in January. That would have had to hurt.

ehc73 02-16-2004 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk Pedersen
Couldn't he potentially make his injury a lot worse if he continues to play on it? Not bashing Turco at all, but it'd be interesting to get a medical opinion.

I think if Dallas were higher in the standings, this wouldn't be too much of an issue in letting a farm goalie take his spot for a few games. However, since the Stars go as Turco goes(since they can't score goals for some reason), he stays in.

Ajacied 02-16-2004 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehc73
I think if Dallas were higher in the standings, this wouldn't be too much of an issue in letting a farm goalie take his spot for a few games. However, since the Stars go as Turco goes(since they can't score goals for some reason), he stays in.

Actually management asks him whether he would like to start or take the game off before each game. Turco just wants to play all the time and if he can handle playing that much, management won't argue against him. I don't think he's been playing this much because Tugnutt has had a dissapointing season (not sure whether you can call 2 games a season but anyhow), or because our prospect goalies are so inexperienced. Just Turco's competitiveness.. he's been like this ever since lacing them up for the first time. Were it for the University of Michigan, the Michigan K-Wings, everywhere he played he played a lot..

ehc73 02-16-2004 12:28 PM

Quote:

Actually management asks him whether he would like to start or take the game off before each game. Turco just wants to play all the time and if he can handle playing that much, management won't argue against him. I don't think he's been playing this much because Tugnutt has had a dissapointing season (not sure whether you can call 2 games a season but anyhow), or because our prospect goalies are so inexperienced. Just Turco's competitiveness.. he's been like this ever since lacing them up for the first time. Were it for the University of Michigan, the Michigan K-Wings, everywhere he played he played a lot..

Well if I were management, I'd certainly be worried about a goalie playing on a broken foot, even if it were partially healed. If there's one other area besides the knees that goalies put pressure on, it's the feet. Push-offs put quite the strain on the feet if injured, and for a $5 M per goalie, not to mention your MVP this season, I'd be worried. Competitive or not, you have to take into account the player's health. But then again, JR played with concussions, so Cherry would chalk this up to Turco being a good ol' Canadian hockey boy. :)
I think management would argue against him if Tugnutt weren't injured/getting back into game shape. Turco has saved their tails many times this season, and having him for the stretch drive is important, especially if they make the playoffs(which they are fighting for right now considering the tightly packed Western Conference).