HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   We traded for D and Drafted D--Now what? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=527052)

SufferingCatFan 06-21-2008 05:57 PM

We traded for D and Drafted D--Now what?

In the past 24 hours, we traded for 2 D-men and then drafted a goalie and 2-D men with our first 3 choices. No one can quarrel with the draft choices as we needed to acquire goalie and D-men prospects. But, we now appear to have an over abundance of mostly 3-4 d-men with J-Bo, Allen, Van Ryn, Skrastins, Welch, Murphy, Boynton and Ballard.

Assuming that J-Bo resigns for about $6mm, we will have about $20mm tied up in 8 d-men and about $6mm spent on 2-goalies. On the offensive side it looks like we have about $16mm tied up on 2nd, 3rd and 4th line players with existing contracts. Assuming that we resign Olesz and Campbell that number should increase by another couple of million to somewhere in the range of $18mm. All in all that equals $44mm and doesn't leave us with much room to acquire scorers, since we are not expected to spend up to the $56mm cap.

All of which suggests several possible scenarios. The most likely scenario is that JM is going to purge some of the offensive vets on expiring contracts (Stumpel, Peltonen,Dvorak, Kilger etc to free up cap space and make room for Mattias et al. The other likely scenario is that JM is either going to trade J-Bo, if he cannot resign him, or trade a couple of the 3-4 D-man, starting with Van Ryn presumably.

What do you think?

StrangeVision 06-21-2008 06:08 PM

Isn't it obvious? Martin is going to continue to get nothing but defensemen so people keep making the same kind of thread over and over.

If the line-up is how it looks now come opening night, then we can start worrying. Free agency hasn't even started, yet.

Laus723 06-21-2008 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrangeVision (Post 14512808)
Isn't it obvious? Martin is going to continue to get nothing but defensemen so people keep making the same kind of thread over and over.

If the line-up is how it looks now come opening night, then we can start worrying. Free agency hasn't even started, yet.

Thanks StrangeVision, very true.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* 06-21-2008 06:30 PM

Free Agency?

Who? We wont be able to replace Jokinen's offense.

Plus we JM made a stupid trade the other day taking an expensive waiver wire d-man that we don't need.

Georgia Panther 06-21-2008 06:32 PM

Now I know why JM doesn't want to pay Monty and will let him go. Too goal scoring orientated!:sarcasm:

Slick Cat 06-21-2008 06:39 PM

now that you brought up Monty, how much would it have taken to sign him? I'm sure a lot less than the 3 mill Boynton makes that we were forced to take, and Monty can play the PP and play forward

Georgia Panther 06-21-2008 06:51 PM

JM the GM has already said that he thinks Monty will be too expensive to re-sign and isn't planning on him being back. Like I said, he scored too many goals for JM's taste:sarcasm:.

JonathanHuberdoh 06-21-2008 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgia Panther (Post 14513405)
JM the GM has already said that he thinks Monty will be too expensive to re-sign and isn't planning on him being back. Like I said, he scored too many goals for JM's taste:sarcasm:.

I'll take Monty over Boynton any day.

Dread Clawz 06-21-2008 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick Cat (Post 14513217)
now that you brought up Monty, how much would it have taken to sign him? I'm sure a lot less than the 3 mill Boynton makes that we were forced to take, and Monty can play the PP and play forward

Boynton will be our #5-6 defenseman. Monty would have at best been our #7 d-man, or the 13th forward.

hoax15 06-21-2008 08:21 PM

No monty is our 15th forward and our 8th dman if we sign bouw.

Laus723 06-21-2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods (Post 14513104)
Free Agency?

Who? We wont be able to replace Jokinen's offense.

Plus we JM made a stupid trade the other day taking an expensive waiver wire d-man that we don't need.

Oh yeah, Boynton was on waivers. That's TERRIBLE! That must be why you guys, including GP, incessantly bashed Martin for not taking waiver-wire heros Recchi and Samsonov. waiver wire players are TERRIBLE!!

Btw, Huselius, everyone's favorite complaint against the team because they traded him, cleared waivers AND re-entry waivers.

Can't work both ways fellas. Either waiver wire is for guys who aren't wanted and can't play, or there are some valuable players that tend to show up there.

Eadig 06-21-2008 09:15 PM

I'm hesitant for saying anything bad against any d-man JM picks up. Cullimore, Skratskins, Magnus, Salei(to an extent but when his play dropped he was shipped out), Murphy(before the injury). All of them exceeded my expectations and now that we have a D man that's projected as a top line dman and if the trend continues he might win a Norris :sarcasm:. Lets not forget that Boynton was coached by Doboer so maybe Peter might light a fire under him and make him play to his potential. My defense line up would be like this.

Bouwmeester-Allen
Ballard-Cullimore
Boynton-Skratskins
With Welch and Johansson as injury call ups, more grit, add Noah. More speed, add Magnus.I would rather have Cully then Van Ryn cause he's more reliable defensively then Van Ryn and less injury prone.

HughJass* 06-21-2008 09:29 PM

The Boynton put on waivers bit is over played. He was put on waivers (along with Kevyn Adams at the time) by that Don Maloney because he wanted to get "younger" and clear cap space when he was first hired. That's it. He may be overpaid but that isn't his fault.

Beezer 06-21-2008 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eadig (Post 14515149)
I'm hesitant for saying anything bad against any d-man JM picks up. Cullimore, Skratskins, Magnus, Salei(to an extent but when his play dropped he was shipped out), Murphy(before the injury). All of them exceeded my expectations and now that we have a D man that's projected as a top line dman and if the trend continues he might win a Norris :sarcasm:. Lets not forget that Boynton was coached by Doboer so maybe Peter might light a fire under him and make him play to his potential. My defense line up would be like this.

Bouwmeester-Allen
Ballard-Cullimore
Boynton-Skratskins
With Welch and Johansen as injury call ups, more grit, add Noah. More speed, add Magnus.I would rather have Cully then Van Ryn cause he's more reliable defensively then Van Ryn and less injury prone.

Very good point.

Beezer 06-21-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puckdaddy (Post 14512645)
In the past 24 hours, we traded for 2 D-men and then drafted a goalie and 2-D men with our first 3 choices. No one can quarrel with the draft choices as we needed to acquire goalie and D-men prospects. But, we now appear to have an over abundance of mostly 3-4 d-men with J-Bo, Allen, Van Ryn, Skrastins, Welch, Murphy, Boynton and Ballard.

Assuming that J-Bo resigns for about $6mm, we will have about $20mm tied up in 8 d-men and about $6mm spent on 2-goalies. On the offensive side it looks like we have about $16mm tied up on 2nd, 3rd and 4th line players with existing contracts. Assuming that we resign Olesz and Campbell that number should increase by another couple of million to somewhere in the range of $18mm. All in all that equals $44mm and doesn't leave us with much room to acquire scorers, since we are not expected to spend up to the $56mm cap.

All of which suggests several possible scenarios. The most likely scenario is that JM is going to purge some of the offensive vets on expiring contracts (Stumpel, Peltonen,Dvorak, Kilger etc to free up cap space and make room for Mattias et al. The other likely scenario is that JM is either going to trade J-Bo, if he cannot resign him, or trade a couple of the 3-4 D-man, starting with Van Ryn presumably.

What do you think?

Let's not forget that JM said before the draft he didn't know how the team would look before the free agency period begins. He talked of the probability of resigning both Johanson & Cullimore and trading Jokinen and also having to buy out some players next week. I am sure before july 1st we will either see another trade by JM or a couple of buy outs to make room for an UFA forward.

Laus723 06-21-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storminator16 (Post 14515297)
The Boynton put on waivers bit is over played. He was put on waivers (along with Kevyn Adams at the time) by that Don Maloney because he wanted to get "younger" and clear cap space when he was first hired. That's it. He may be overpaid but that isn't his fault.

Thanks for bringing everyone up to date. I'm guessing there are plenty here who didn't know that.

hoax15 06-21-2008 09:34 PM

Bouwmeester and Ballard will be on the same pairing because Ballard is a good shut-down defenseman, you don't need Allen on the top line.

Eadig 06-21-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoax15 (Post 14515356)
Bouwmeester and Ballard will be on the same pairing because Ballard is a good shut-down defenseman, you don't need Allen on the top line.

I was thinking that but Ballard will likely be our 2nd point producing dman and I would rather have them spread out giving two parings with some offensive attack by that's just my opinion, it all depends on chemistry.

jol 06-21-2008 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgia Panther (Post 14513405)

Plus Panthers have already an average defenseman and paying him boatload of money, makes him better, supposedly.

JOL

hoax15 06-21-2008 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eadig (Post 14515423)
I was thinking that but Ballard will likely be our 2nd point producing dman and I would rather have them spread out giving two parings with some offensive attack by that's just my opinion, it all depends on chemistry.

Martin already said he wants him to be with Bouwmeester though.

Eadig 06-21-2008 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoax15 (Post 14516386)
Martin already said he wants him to be with Bouwmeester though.

Is he the coach? I really don't think he has a say to who Ballard plays with.

Georgia Panther 06-22-2008 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laus723 (Post 14514978)
Oh yeah, Boynton was on waivers. That's TERRIBLE! That must be why you guys, including GP, incessantly bashed Martin for not taking waiver-wire heros Recchi and Samsonov. waiver wire players are TERRIBLE!!

Btw, Huselius, everyone's favorite complaint against the team because they traded him, cleared waivers AND re-entry waivers.

Can't work both ways fellas. Either waiver wire is for guys who aren't wanted and can't play, or there are some valuable players that tend to show up there.

No, the point is, even if Boynton plays great JM had to trade Jokinen to get him when he could have got him for nothing last season.:D

Mogo 06-22-2008 06:29 AM

Again people. Free agency wont bring anything signifant. Remember this teams biggest ever UFA signing still is Ruslan Salei at just over 3M$

Laus723 06-22-2008 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eadig (Post 14516664)
Is he the coach? I really don't think he has a say to who Ballard plays with.

:sarcasm:

ratmanfu 06-22-2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgia Panther (Post 14518684)
No, the point is, even if Boynton plays great JM had to trade Jokinen to get him when he could have got him for nothing last season.:D

You make it sound like Boynton was the centerpiece of this trade, which is way off the mark.

JM obviously wanted a defenseman coming back. He may have had a list of potential targets, with Ballard being one of them. Maybe all his other choices went sour...who knows...but, when he saw Ballard could be on the table, he likely took Boynton to seal the deal.

Already, we've had 2 teams (Calgary & Canucks) come out and state concerns about Olli's character. Maybe his loan to Jere Karalahti had something to do with it and while he denied involvement in Jere's dirt, there might still be some lingering doubts about him. Or maybe it was just his drop-off in play the last 1/3 of the season. Or maybe his public feud with JM put us at a disadvantage to trade from a position of strength.

It could be that JM was trying to make something happen before Olli's value diminished more.