HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Panthers transition game and offense (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=527209)

Tuco 06-22-2008 05:25 AM

Panthers transition game and offense

In early June, Martin spoke in public about the fact that we needed to get the puck out of our zone quicker and that he is seeking puck moving defensemen to do it. This was labeled here as the new Panthers transition game and it hopefully creates more scoring opportunities.

Since our offense looks to have little firepower next season, succeeding in this transition game seems to be of essential importance to our next season.

It now looks like Martin has acquired the defensive corps for next season, but do you guys think he did enough to achieve what was needed? Did he get the right two-way d-men who make right and well-timed decisions and can handle the puck well enough to make a good first pass out of the zone? Who are the ones that will do it?

hoax15 06-22-2008 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuco (Post 14518677)
In early June, Martin spoke in public about the fact that we needed to get the puck out of our zone quicker and that he is seeking puck moving defensemen to do it. This was labeled here as the new Panthers transition game and it hopefully creates more scoring opportunities.

Since our offense looks to have little firepower next season, succeeding in this transition game seems to be of essential importance to our next season.

It now looks like Martin has acquired the defensive corps for next season, but do you guys think he did enough to achieve what was needed? Did he get the right two-way d-men who make right and well-timed decisions and can handle the puck well enough to make a good first pass out of the zone? Who are the ones that will do it?

I try to think like him so I can see what he's going to do next and I bet that he only signs a RW like Ryder and then buys-out stumpel.

The transition game will work and we will be an extremely nasty team on the forcheck and we will be very physical.

Boynton will produce solid hits and shutdown star players, Ballard can hipcheck the hell out of you and play a shut-down roll but can also move the puck extremely well. Bouwmeester will lead the transition game as he is the fastest defensive skater we have and he is a very good passer and stickhandler. Allen will probobly play a shutdown roll with Van Ryn I think.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* 06-22-2008 11:48 AM

We are going to be boring as hell to watch.

Bystander 06-22-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoax15 (Post 14519616)
I try to think like him so I can see what he's going to do next and I bet that he only signs a RW like Ryder and then buys-out stumpel.

The transition game will work and we will be an extremely nasty team on the forcheck and we will be very physical.

Boynton will produce solid hits and shutdown star players, Ballard can hipcheck the hell out of you and play a shut-down roll but can also move the puck extremely well. Bouwmeester will lead the transition game as he is the fastest defensive skater we have and he is a very good passer and stickhandler. Allen will probobly play a shutdown roll with Van Ryn I think.

Nice, our #5-6 defensemen shutting down star players, man this defense is going to be OUTRAGEOUS.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* 06-22-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bystander (Post 14520301)
Nice, our #5-6 defensemen shutting down star players, man this defense is going to be OUTRAGEOUS.

Boynton is AMAZING d00d!@$ Didn't you hear!# He didn't get picked off of waivers because he was too good for other teams!!@

hoax15 06-22-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bystander (Post 14520301)

Once again, you fail to realize how good our defense is. Continue being ignorant though. If Skrastins and Allen can do it, so can Boynton.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* 06-22-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoax15 (Post 14520396)
Once again, you fail to realize how good our defense is. Continue being ignorant though. If Skrastins and Allen can do it, so can Boynton.

You fail to realize that it isn't that good and our forwards are TERRIBLE! We have no first line!

hoax15 06-22-2008 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods (Post 14520414)
You fail to realize that it isn't that good and our forwards are TERRIBLE! We have no first line!

Why don't you wait until after a couple games to say our offense is terrible, because I don't feel the same way. They are mediocre yes but think of us more like New Jersey. We will allow very few goals while producing an average ammount. And thats without doing anything in Free Agency.

Bystander 06-22-2008 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoax15 (Post 14520396)

you do know Scratchy was a -9 in 17 games with the Panthers last year don't you. you really think he was that good?

hoax15 06-22-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bystander (Post 14520543)
you do know Scratchy was a -9 in 17 games with the Panthers last year don't you. you really think he was that good?

We were pretty bad last year :P

Dread Clawz 06-22-2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods (Post 14520414)

LOL. Name 2 defenses in the East that are better than us.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* 06-22-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterBouw (Post 14520670)

New Jersey
Montreal
Boston
New York Rangers

OneOfTheHockeyGods* 06-22-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterBouw (Post 14520670)

Our D isn't good enough to rely on it to win games. As far as the league goes we are somewhere between 10-15 with a bottom two offense.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* 06-22-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoax15 (Post 14520460)
Why don't you wait until after a couple games to say our offense is terrible, because I don't feel the same way. They are mediocre yes but think of us more like New Jersey. We will allow very few goals while producing an average ammount. And thats without doing anything in Free Agency.

Why do u think Ballard and lol Boynton are so good? I don't get it.
They are decent. Just decent.

hoax15 06-22-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods (Post 14520967)
Why do u think Ballard and lol Boynton are so good? I don't get it.
They are decent. Just decent.

Ballard is good, Boynton is decent i agree but you guys are making him sound like **** :l.

Dread Clawz 06-22-2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods (Post 14520934)
New Jersey
Montreal
Boston
New York Rangers

ROFL. NJ? UH......no. NY? UH........NOOOOOOO. Boston is close, but we're still better. You got one right at least. Montreal and Florida have the best defenses in the East.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* 06-22-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoax15 (Post 14520970)
Ballard is good, Boynton is decent i agree but you guys are making him sound like **** :l.

You just said Ballard was "GREAT" in the rant thread...Make up your mind.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* 06-22-2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterBouw (Post 14520984)
ROFL. NJ? UH......no. NY? UH........NOOOOOOO. Boston is close, but we're still better. You got one right at least. Montreal and Florida have the best defenses in the East.

NJ and NY both play better D than we do. Plus they might add to their D-core we are probably set.

Florida doesn't and like I said above in the scheme of things it isn't good enough to win games. B We don't even have close to the offensive weapons that those four teams have. Too many people forget you win games by scoring goals and you keep yourself in the game by not giving up goals. No team has ever one a game by scoring zero goals!

Dread Clawz 06-22-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods (Post 14520948)
Our D isn't good enough to rely on it to win games. As far as the league goes we are somewhere between 10-15 with a bottom two offense.

We are in the top 9 defense corps in the league easily.

hoax15 06-22-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods (Post 14521005)
You just said Ballard was "GREAT" in the rant thread...Make up your mind.

...You keep trying to set me up, Great/Good w/e it still makes him our #2 which makes him pretty great/good to us

OneOfTheHockeyGods* 06-22-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterBouw (Post 14521048)
We are in the top 9 defense corps in the league easily.

Top 9 would equal 9th place.

Anaheim
Detroit
Montreal
Boston
San Jose
Nashville
Calgary
Dallas
Minnesota
CBJ
Vancouver
New Jersey
NYR
O, I forgot about Pittsburgh for teams with better D in the east.

So yeah, our D is average to a little above average.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* 06-22-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoax15 (Post 14521082)
...You keep trying to set me up, Great/Good w/e it still makes him our #2 which makes him pretty great/good to us

He may or may not be our #2.

hoax15 06-22-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods (Post 14521144)
He may or may not be our #2.

If Bouw is gone he's our #1 until we sign Redden or something big.

Dread Clawz 06-22-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods (Post 14521032)
NJ and NY both play better D than we do. Plus they might add to their D-core we are probably set.

Florida doesn't and like I said above in the scheme of things it isn't good enough to win games. B We don't even have close to the offensive weapons that those four teams have. Too many people forget you win games by scoring goals and you keep yourself in the game by not giving up goals. No team has ever one a game by scoring zero goals!

NJ and NYR DO NOT have better defenses than us. What they have is Brodeur(Vezina trophy winner) and Lundqvist. NYR also have a lot of skill up front which contributes to them playing a successful puck possession game that keeps opposing team's scoring chances down.
NJ- Martin, White, Oduya, Rachunek, Vishnevski, Greene, Brookbank. No way in hell is that defense better than ours. NJ also scored considerably less goals than us last season.

NYR- Roszival(UFA), Staal, Tyutin, Girardi, Malik, Backman. Their defense is close to ours, but Roszival is a UFA and we'll see how they replace him.

We scored quite a bit more goals than these two teams last year, and now with jokinen gone and depending on who we bring in through UFA or how much Matthias/Frolik contribute next year, we might be around the same number of GF that they both had last year.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* 06-22-2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterBouw (Post 14521169)
NJ and NYR DO NOT have better defenses than us. What they have is Brodeur(Vezina trophy winner) and Lundqvist. NYR also have a lot of skill up front which contributes to them playing a successful puck possession game that keeps opposing team's scoring chances down.
NJ- Martin, White, Oduya, Rachunek, Vishnevski, Greene, Brookbank. No way in hell is that defense better than ours. NJ also scored considerably less goals than us last season.

NYR- Roszival(UFA), Staal, Tyutin, Girardi, Malik, Backman. Their defense is close to ours, but Roszival is a UFA and we'll see how they replace him.

We scored quite a bit more goals than these two teams last year, and now with jokinen gone and depending on who we bring in through UFA or how much Matthias/Frolik contribute next year, we might be around the same number of GF that they both had last year.

What you fail to realize that even if our D-core is as good or slightly better or forwards are significantly worse. It isn't even close. We might have the worst forwards in the league! We might be TOP 30 in forwards! Also, your d-core only gets you so far. Defense is a team responsibility.