HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   2008 Prospect Camp (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=527790)

Seth Lake 06-23-2008 07:43 PM

2008 Prospect Camp

ON-ICE SCHEDULE:
Thursday, June 26th - 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Friday, June 27th - 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Sunday, June 29th begins at 10:00 AM - BUT IS CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC (this is due to staffing at Centennial and has nothing to do with the Predators)

Tuesday is the start of camp with physicals in the evening. Wednesday morning they are doing fitness testing in the morning followed by team building exercises at Camp Widjiwagan in the afternoon. On Thursday the prospects have a session on the track at Vandy bright and early in the morning followed by the on-ice session, then the team is divided into two groups with the first doing weight training and the second video work for 90 minutes, then the groups will switch. The team is back on the track at Vandy on Friday morning followed by the on-ice session and again the two groups will rotate through a weight training and video session. Saturday is reserved for "Team Presentations", then Sunday the group goes through their third repetition of track work, on-ice, weight training, and video before concluding the camp Monday with track training, weight training/video work, and the camp concludes with a pool tournament Monday night.

ROSTER (as of June 12th, 2008 - 2008 draftees and maybe a couple more free agents will be invited):
Forwards (9):
Ryan Flynn
Blake Geoffrion
Ian MacKenzie
Ben Ryan
Mark Santorelli
Michael Santorelli
Nick Spaling
Ryan Thang
Andreas Thuresson

Defense (5):
Jonathan Blum
Robert Dietrich
Greg Flynn - Free agent invitee - played for Air Force last season - 6'1", 200 lbs, left-handed defenseman
Cody Franson
Teemu Laakso

Goaltenders (3):
Mark Dekanich
Atte Engren
Jeremy Smith

Colin Wilson, Chet Pickard, and Roman Josi have been mentioned as 2008 draftees that will be attending the camp among others.

Paranoid Android 06-23-2008 08:55 PM

Im curious to see engren. Maybe he'll fight for that spot in milwaukee

Enoch 06-23-2008 09:05 PM

If anyone.......anyone could nab my wife and I an autograph of Wilson/Pickard - I will gladly furnish an under the table check ;). I know that the players are pretty accessible at these practices, unfortunately, I'm stuck up here in finals for Med school....

Heck - I'd love to get Franson and Blum for that matter as well, but I'll keep my list short and sweet :D.

This will be a very interesting camp because our forwards, defense, and goaltending all have a lot of solid to blue-chip prospects scattered throughout.

OpenWheel 06-23-2008 09:14 PM

Which of the older prospects on offense (not the new draftees) are the ones most likely to stick with the club in the fall? And in what type of role?

Enoch 06-23-2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpenWheel (Post 14543126)
Which of the older prospects on offense (not the new draftees) are the ones most likely to stick with the club in the fall? And in what type of role?

I would say none of them to be honest. Our roster is close to being set....we have 12 forwards/6 defenseman/2 goalies on 1 way contracts...If Sullivan doesn't make it, it opens up more flexibility, as would a trade of one defenseman. Still, you have to think Pihlstrom and Hornqvist will make the squad.

worstfaceoffmanever 06-23-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predanerd (Post 14542828)
Im curious to see engren. Maybe he'll fight for that spot in milwaukee

Is he even under contract? I figured he'd go back to Europe again this year, which I think is what he'll do so we can sign a vet to mentor Dekanich.

sparkle twin 06-24-2008 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 14541889)

Forwards (9):
Ryan Flynn

Defense (5):
Greg Flynn - Free agent invitee - played for Air Force last season - 6'1", 200 lbs, left-handed defenseman

any relation?

worstfaceoffmanever 06-24-2008 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spank303 (Post 14546097)
any relation?

Brothers. I'll be interested to see if Greg can play. Is he paying his own way or is he gonna turn pro early out of Air Force?

Glad to see Dietrich and Engren attending. Would be great to see the other four draftees (Lindbäck, Lajunen, Stefishen, Foss) in attendance but I guess that's a bit of a stretch.

sparkle twin 06-24-2008 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 14546110)
Brothers.

That's nice. Now we have 2 sets of bros., Santorelli's and Flynn's.

Seth Lake 06-24-2008 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 14546110)
Brothers. I'll be interested to see if Greg can play. Is he paying his own way or is he gonna turn pro early out of Air Force?

Greg is paying his own way and is expected back at the Air Force Academy next season. I'm sure that the Preds wouldn't have extended an invitiation to him if he couldn't play at this level, but I think more than likely Greg will probably go further with his degree from the Air Force Academy than he will with his hockey career as he has been on the Dean's List each semester, but we will have to wait to find out...

Quote:

Glad to see Dietrich and Engren attending. Would be great to see the other four draftees (Lindbäck, Lajunen, Stefishen, Foss) in attendance but I guess that's a bit of a stretch.
I would be very surprised to see Lindback or Lajunen over for this camp and honestly due to the fact that they have to pay their own way (being NCAA student-athletes), I would also be surprised to see Stefishen or Foss this year due to the short notice. I suspect all four will be in attendance next season at prospect camp.

barrytrotzsneck 06-24-2008 09:11 AM

Cal O'Reilly is a notable omission...

I'm excited to see Ryan Thang and Nick Spaling, in particular.

Seth Lake 06-24-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 14547527)
Cal O'Reilly is a notable omission...

No, O'Reilly is a 3rd year pro. Only 1st and 2nd year professional players and NCAA/Junior players are invited to rookie camp.

worstfaceoffmanever 06-24-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 14547165)
I would be very surprised to see Lindback or Lajunen over for this camp and honestly due to the fact that they have to pay their own way (being NCAA student-athletes), I would also be surprised to see Stefishen or Foss this year due to the short notice. I suspect all four will be in attendance next season at prospect camp.

I think you got those guys backwards. Foss and Stefishen are NCAA, Lindbäck and Lajunen are both in Europe...

Seth Lake 06-24-2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 14551181)
I think you got those guys backwards. Foss and Stefishen are NCAA, Lindbäck and Lajunen are both in Europe...

Just wanted to make sure you were paying attention...;)

worstfaceoffmanever 06-24-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 14552001)
Just wanted to make sure you were paying attention...;)

Of course. ;)

Reports on other boards say Lindbäck and Stefishen will be at camp as well as the "Big Three" (Wilson, Pickard, Josi).

Joe T Choker 06-24-2008 04:08 PM

I'll be there either Thursday or Friday

Enoch 06-26-2008 02:24 PM

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=15896

Everyone should go read Fielder's blog on the prospect camp. Its a bit barren on overall observations, but it is enjoyable and has some quotes from Wilson/Pickard/Trotz.

FOR ANYONE able to go to prospect camp, please share your observations here. Those of us who cannot go would LOVE to hear them.

predhead1 06-26-2008 02:59 PM

Sounds like Wilson might want to make the jump this year - does anyone know what the cutting off point is for when he has to make a decision (college v. pro) for this season? I assume he could not attend training camp in the fall and then return to BU if it doesn't look like he'll be on the NHL roster?

worstfaceoffmanever 06-26-2008 03:35 PM

I thought Dekanich really struggled, but it's tough to gague goalies at rookie camps. Maybe he just had some bad coffee or something.

I think Engren didn't look at all out of place with these guys.

I didn't see much of Pickard because he spent most of the time down at the other end. I do remember seeing Mike Santorelli roof one glove-side on him. Beautiful goal.

Smith looked pretty good, though.

Most of the guys there seemed to have really good mobility, which is a great trend to have in our organization. The new NHL has an emphasis on better mobility, though preferably with a little size attached. Regardless, it's a fundamental part of the foundation of a modern NHL player.

Thang is really fast and has a pretty damn good wrist shot.

We need to move Mike Santorelli to wing so he can think more about scoring goals. This guy is a big-time sniper. It's harder to do that as a center, especially in Trotz's system, where the center is counted on to be a third defenseman.

McKenzie is HUGE.

Wilson used his strength and played really physical in the 3-on-3 drills at the end. Looked like a real powerforward. Can't say he wasn't a bit out of his element in a limited-contact practice.

I doubt Lajunen is 172 pounds.

I didn't see much of him, but Geoffrion looked pretty sharp.

Overall I didn't really pay that much attention to the forwards because they were down at the far end of the ice. So I watched the defensemen, and Josi may be the best pure passing defenseman in the farm system. He was always reaching for the puck and trying to get the pass off, and more often than not he would lay it right on the tape. Could work on his shot but I'm not sure he was going full-bore since nobody else was (Franson definitely wasn't). A great skater with really good quickness. If we can open up a spot for him, he may change my mind about that pick...

Franson didn't look like he was trying all that hard, but he's got some good offensive tools.

Foss looked out of his element in an offensive showcase. Definitely a defensive defenseman.

Blum wasn't out there. No idea why.

The Brothers Flynn looked okay. Greg should probably finish his degree, though.

Triston Grant was out there too. No clue why.

barrytrotzsneck 06-26-2008 03:43 PM

While I think Colin Wilson probably COULD play this year, I don't think he will. I think that they'll give him at least one more year in college.

quartermaster29 06-26-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predhead1 (Post 14582234)
Sounds like Wilson might want to make the jump this year - does anyone know what the cutting off point is for when he has to make a decision (college v. pro) for this season? I assume he could not attend training camp in the fall and then return to BU if it doesn't look like he'll be on the NHL roster?

There was discussion on the other boards about this... seems that NCAA players have to be in class when it starts and since classes start before the NHL training camp, he'll have to be in Boston during that time.

However there can be exceptions like arranging with professors to miss those classes before hand and making sure they are caught up on missed work. Then as long as they pay their own way they can attend training camps. Even if this happens, though, they cannot play in any games (like preseason ones, not like scrimmages in camp). I'm paraphrasing of course. But it CAN happen if all parties want it to.

I think though he will have to make his decision before classes start. I know he wants to play now but has been quoted as saying he will do whatever needs to be done (back to BU, stay in Nashville) if the coaches think it's best. (I'll dig up the link if it's not already here...)

barrytrotzsneck 06-26-2008 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quartermaster29 (Post 14583311)
There was discussion on the other boards about this... seems that NCAA players have to be in class when it starts and since classes start before the NHL training camp, he'll have to be in Boston during that time.

However there can be exceptions like arranging with professors to miss those classes before hand and making sure they are caught up on missed work. Then as long as they pay their own way they can attend training camps. Even if this happens, though, they cannot play in any games (like preseason ones, not like scrimmages in camp). I'm paraphrasing of course. But it CAN happen if all parties want it to.

I think though he will have to make his decision before classes start. I know he wants to play now but has been quoted as saying he will do whatever needs to be done (back to BU, stay in Nashville) if the coaches think it's best. (I'll dig up the link if it's not already here...)

Since when do ATHLETES have to ATTEND classes?

What is America coming to?!

sparkle twin 06-27-2008 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 14582859)
I thought Dekanich really struggled, but it's tough to gague goalies at rookie camps. Maybe he just had some bad coffee or something.

I think Engren didn't look at all out of place with these guys.

I didn't see much of Pickard because he spent most of the time down at the other end. I do remember seeing Mike Santorelli roof one glove-side on him. Beautiful goal.

Smith looked pretty good, though.

Most of the guys there seemed to have really good mobility, which is a great trend to have in our organization. The new NHL has an emphasis on better mobility, though preferably with a little size attached. Regardless, it's a fundamental part of the foundation of a modern NHL player.

Thang is really fast and has a pretty damn good wrist shot.

We need to move Mike Santorelli to wing so he can think more about scoring goals. This guy is a big-time sniper. It's harder to do that as a center, especially in Trotz's system, where the center is counted on to be a third defenseman.

McKenzie is HUGE.

Wilson used his strength and played really physical in the 3-on-3 drills at the end. Looked like a real powerforward. Can't say he wasn't a bit out of his element in a limited-contact practice.

I doubt Lajunen is 172 pounds.

I didn't see much of him, but Geoffrion looked pretty sharp.

Overall I didn't really pay that much attention to the forwards because they were down at the far end of the ice. So I watched the defensemen, and Josi may be the best pure passing defenseman in the farm system. He was always reaching for the puck and trying to get the pass off, and more often than not he would lay it right on the tape. Could work on his shot but I'm not sure he was going full-bore since nobody else was (Franson definitely wasn't). A great skater with really good quickness. If we can open up a spot for him, he may change my mind about that pick...

Franson didn't look like he was trying all that hard, but he's got some good offensive tools.

Foss looked out of his element in an offensive showcase. Definitely a defensive defenseman.

Blum wasn't out there. No idea why.

The Brothers Flynn looked okay. Greg should probably finish his degree, though.

Triston Grant was out there too. No clue why.

Agree with most of this.

Geoffrion looked faster than I remember. He also put a nice forearm/elbow into Wilson's head during the 3-on-3 scrimmage. Not real hard or anything, just a good battle.

Wilson looked better than everyone else, very good, smooth skating. Went to the net almost every time and did his best Holmstrom. For a while he was one of the only ones to actually get a puck passed the goalies.

I liked Pickard, Josi looked small but he was quick.

Besides Blum, I also didn't see Teemu Laakso out there. Ryan Maki was there though.

OpenWheel 06-27-2008 05:13 AM

Nice update guys, thanks.

Good to hear about Santorelli and Geoffrion. It's a bit discouraging to me when I hear we're sort of stuck with some of our third and fourth line grinders due to contracts. I had been hoping that someone like Santorelli was a possibility. But at least I can have hope that some guys about as good, but maybe younger, and with some more potential are in the pipeline.

Stuff I read about Geoffreon says he really made a nice improvement in the last year. So your reports saying he looked good and can skate sound positive. I remember not liking that pick at all. Glad I was wrong and he may someday contribute.

Saying that Wilson stands out to your eyes is positive. You should be able to spot a stakes horse amoung high price claimers. I had to chuckle when the City Paper quoted about when he was asked how he compares himself to Hartnell, meaning someone who made the jump to the NHL right away. He said something like "they don't compare me to Hartnell they compare me to Ron Francis." The guy doesn't lack confidence!

I like hearing that Josi looked sharp. Could be a good pick even though it looks like a logjam at defense. Who knows what shakes out in two or three years.

quartermaster29 06-27-2008 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quartermaster29 (Post 14583311)

Ok, so the "quote" was a report by poster jlsg who heard it on a radio interview on 106.7 and posted it yesterday. Here's that post on the message boards:

Quote:

Don't know if anyone else heard the interview Colin did on 106 yesterday afternoon, but he made it clear that he was ready to join the team whenever the coaches told him to. If that meant leaving school this year, he was ready. If they want him to play another year, then that's OK as well. Seems to be a sharp kid that knows his game and what he can offer. Also a big fan of country music, so I guess the right team drafted him.