HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Confirmed Signing with Link: Hurricanes Agree To Terms With Tuomo Ruutu (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=527988)

Shack 06-24-2008 11:42 AM

Hurricanes Agree To Terms With Tuomo Ruutu

RALEIGH, NC—Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, announced today that the team has agreed to terms with forward Tuomo Ruutu (TOO-oh-moh ROO-too) on a one-year contract. Ruutu will be paid $2.25 million during the 2008-09 season.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app/?...ticleid=366864

HughJass* 06-24-2008 11:47 AM

Just my opinion, but he's gone first chance Rutherford gets to trade him. I'd bet on it.

Anton Skinner 06-24-2008 11:53 AM

I dunno about that, Stormy. I think maybe he is giving them time to work out a long term deal this season, while pretty much adhering to what Ruutu would like for the time being to keep him here, since he brings to the ice something that no one else on the team does. With Hordichuk not coming here now, we need that grit for sure.

Better Call Saul 06-24-2008 11:59 AM

Ugh. Bernier had one fewer point and six more goals than Ruutu, which probably means he's going to get similar money. Disappointing.

danishh 06-24-2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhymenoceros (Post 14549531)
Ugh. Bernier had one fewer point and six more goals than Ruutu, which probably means he's going to get similar money. Disappointing.

six more goals means more money to me.

Shack 06-24-2008 12:01 PM

Ruutu is overpaid, eternal prospect. (IMO)

He's been great at the internation tournaments, but he really hasn't showed up at the NHL. He's good checking forward but only for 3rd line.

I say 1,5m for season should be the max. with the stats he's put up.

fogducker 06-24-2008 12:01 PM

so he's not being traded I suppose

Shoalzie 06-24-2008 12:01 PM

The Canes really were fortunate that Ruutu and Samsonov were able to resurrect their careers in Carolina after failures in Chicago.

HughJass* 06-24-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecusiouxcanesguy (Post 14549430)
With Hordichuk not coming here now, we need that grit for sure.

Rutuu does not provide that sort of grit. His grit is a bit inflated.

I'll re-examine this later, I'll shut my trap about this player. But I will say I'm not exactly "thrilled", and I do think he won't deliver, even though he's in another "contract year". Now we got a guy who thinks he's worth $3M+ and two seasons away from UFA. His hands won't make him that $3M+ player he thinks he is. If he thinks he's $3M+ now, he scores 20 goals and add 15 assists next season he'll think he's worth $4M.

Compared to Ladd, I'd still rather have Ladd. Maybe that's my problem in a nutshell.

Better Call Saul 06-24-2008 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danishh (Post 14549556)
six more goals means more money to me.

Probably. :shakehead

State of Hockey 06-24-2008 12:11 PM

Ruutu fit in very well with Carolina. I hope he stays there for longer than one year.

DaveG 06-24-2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhymenoceros (Post 14549531)

Maybe not. That was the Qualifying Offer for Ruutu, not what Ruutu was requesting. At least that's my understanding of this signing.

RandV 06-24-2008 12:31 PM

People complain about the salary being too high, like with Ladd, but you gotta remember these guys are above average NHL'ers, so shouldn't they be paid above average? You're not going to break the cap on $2M contracts. There almost seems to be this perception that unless its a 'good' player in the $3-5M salary range, they shouldn't get paid more than a million.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* 06-24-2008 12:37 PM

Ruutu is the kind of player you want on your team because he plays with so much passion and determination. I'd take him on my team any day of the week.

Would Gionta for Ruutu and a 2nd round pick be reasonable ???

FutureGM97 06-24-2008 12:42 PM

I hope Avery is paying attention....

salty justice 06-24-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY (Post 14550306)
Ruutu is the kind of player you want on your team because he plays with so much passion and determination. I'd take him on my team any day of the week.

I agree that he appeared to turn his game around in Carolina, but he didn't show any passion or determination in Chicago since before the lockout.

Finnpin 06-24-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shack (Post 14549563)
Ruutu is overpaid, eternal prospect. (IMO)

He's been great at the internation tournaments, but he really hasn't showed up at the NHL. He's good checking forward but only for 3rd line.

I say 1,5m for season should be the max. with the stats he's put up.

That's your opinion.

Well playing in Chitown system and with all the injuries he has been a disappoitment but there is the skills and grit and in the right team and in a right system he can produce well and I'm sure he will do great in the Canes system.

Judge Sauer* 06-24-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoalzie (Post 14549575)
The Canes really were fortunate that Ruutu and Samsonov were able to resurrect their careers in Carolina after failures in Chicago.

Pretty much what I was thinking.
Their playing styles fit well for both players and Samsonov was failing with the Habs before the Hawks :(

Magnus Fulgur 06-24-2008 01:46 PM

I'm not sure Ruutu dives enough to fit into La Violet's system.

Caniac4ever 06-24-2008 02:05 PM

Now looky, looky!!!! We've got a comedian on board! :vhappy:

Magnus Fulgur 06-24-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caniac4ever (Post 14551907)
Now looky, looky!!!! We've got a comedian on board! :vhappy:

Thanks. I think Ruutu's a great fit for the Canes, btw.

Blueline Bomber 06-24-2008 02:24 PM

Quote:

Reasonable for who? If Lou called JR and offered that, I'd be really pissed if JR didn't take the deal immediately. If JR called Lou and offered that, he'd get laughed at and soon be listening to the sweet sounds of a dial tone.

bleedgreen 06-24-2008 02:39 PM

its a good deal, he wasnt going to get ruutu to take a paycut. no gm in the league wouldve pulled that off, so no one can say he got more than he shouldve, if you have problem with it tell it to chicago who signed him to the deal in the first place. this is the QO off that deal, the price was set in stone. QO at this price or let him go for nothing. the canes arent at fault for giving him a QO. unless he agreed to a new deal at a lesser price this was the very minimum the canes get him for.

DG 06-24-2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

In my opinion, the Devils would be fleecing themselves...

Beukeboom Fan 06-24-2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jokeri (Post 14551489)
That's your opinion.

Well playing in Chitown system and with all the injuries he has been a disappoitment but there is the skills and grit and in the right team and in a right system he can produce well and I'm sure he will do great in the Canes system.

Not to get raise any nationalistic issues, but from his play last year, TR shouldn't be on a scoring line. He was given every opportunity to produce with Toews & Kane, and just failed.

I hope that TR can get his career back on track, but I'm afraid that he's not a scoring line player at this point due to the injuries he's suffered.