HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Getting back into competitive shape (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=528454)

Gobias Industries 06-25-2008 02:45 PM

Getting back into competitive shape

Hey there,

Well there's quite a few threads on fitness and nutrition...and it's been inspiring and enlightening to see the changes people are making in improving their games..

In my younger years I was a decent baseball and hockey player with decent hands, but I always held extra weight...during university I played competitive intramural hockey and ice hockey but again was always held back by my poor lifestyle and weight..

But, I'm now implementing a lifestyle change, I just signed up for a personal trainer and am hoping to see some serious changes soon..and my goal is to hold my own in some decent men's leagues in Toronto...

Anyway, I'm hoping this thread will provide me with some motivation and tips to follow through with my goals..

Here's my "before" details (Yes, I am overweight):

Height: 5'11''
Weight: 220lbs
Bodyfat: 36%

Cheers and hopefully no one is a complete dick in this thread,

Gobias Industries

PIMking 06-25-2008 03:27 PM

Hey im 5'10 210 lbs and in great shape other than a couple of nagging injuries. I would do alot of running or swimming. personally I hated lifting weights and running to get into shape so my coach let me hit the pool at the school and swim laps for training. I also like to ride a bike and thats good workout.

2 Late 2 Anton 06-25-2008 03:45 PM

My advice to people asking people on the internet for fitness advice; Get a trainer. You've already done that. Listen to the people who went to school, or at least did a lot of studying to get their NSCA CPT.

deanosaur 06-25-2008 05:11 PM

Not all trainers are good. Had a few experiences, you really have to choose your trainer wisely if you want actual results, because anyone can become a trainer go to college/university graduate.

vivianmb 06-25-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobias Industries (Post 14567469)
Hey there,

Well there's quite a few threads on fitness and nutrition...and it's been inspiring and enlightening to see the changes people are making in improving their games..

In my younger years I was a decent baseball and hockey player with decent hands, but I always held extra weight...during university I played competitive intramural hockey and ice hockey but again was always held back by my poor lifestyle and weight..

But, I'm now implementing a lifestyle change, I just signed up for a personal trainer and am hoping to see some serious changes soon..and my goal is to hold my own in some decent men's leagues in Toronto...

Anyway, I'm hoping this thread will provide me with some motivation and tips to follow through with my goals..

Cheers and hopefully no one is a complete dick in this thread,

Gobias Industries

replace all snacks with fruit. start hitting the gym.skate ,skate,skate.ride a bike as often as possible.no fast food. more chicken and fish.

spoon* 06-25-2008 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivianmb (Post 14570207)
replace all snacks with fruit. start hitting the gym.skate ,skate,skate.ride a bike as often as possible.no fast food. more chicken and fish.

So, if one replaces ALL snacks by fruits(or vegetables)and reduces his meals to smaller portions, will he be able to lose a fair amount of weight in say, two months?

CornKicker 06-25-2008 07:26 PM

i was in your boat about 3 months ago,
26y/o
5'11
fat

I started off by jogging 4K every day, just a simple route around my house. then once my lungs felt decent i began doing sprints for 20-30 seconds then jogging out 2 minutes. i go swimming 1-2 times a week and do minimum 20 laps, not consecutivly cause i would have a heart attack. then after a couple weeks i began doing circuit training at the gym, not heavy lifting but 4-5 reps of 12 at a decent weight.

in 3 months i have lost 26lbs and i feel faster and skinnier than i have in years. I also eat better and avoid fast foods as much as possible.

this probably wont work with everyone but it has worked awesome for me

ShowmeHawks 06-26-2008 08:37 AM

Do whatever your trainer tells you to, especially concerning your diet. I say this because you can do all the training in the world, but if you finish by eatting 2 Big Macs and a bowl of ice cream, you won't see any weight loss results.

Fast food is bad. Fruits and veggies are good. Keep a journal of everything you eat, no matter how small. http://www.fitday.com/

The quickest way to burn calories and tone muscle is by running. You don't have to go and run a marathon. Start off with something short and attainable, like running continuously for 1/2 mile. Then work up from there to 3/4 mile and 1 mile, etc...

Good luck.

vivianmb 06-26-2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon (Post 14570486)
So, if one replaces ALL snacks by fruits(or vegetables)and reduces his meals to smaller portions, will he be able to lose a fair amount of weight in say, two months?

i would think so...

AngryBoss 06-27-2008 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deangamblin (Post 14569632)
Not all trainers are good. Had a few experiences, you really have to choose your trainer wisely if you want actual results, because anyone can become a trainer go to college/university graduate.

So true. I've heard some trainers give advice that was so ridiculously inaccurate it made you wonder how they got certified.

One trainer I knew put everyone, no matter what sex, age or shape they were in, on the exact same program. He'd have a 75-year old woman doing the exact same things as a 24-year old muscled head.
I couldn't believe it.

AngryBoss 06-27-2008 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon (Post 14570486)

You wouldn't believe how effective this is to losing weight.

Eat 6 small portions a day. Cut out sugars, pop, all that kind of junk food. BUT, choose one day a week as a cheat day. Don't go hog-wild, but treat yourself to a favorite meal (like chicken wings) or have some dessert. We all cheat and I find that if you schedule your cheat meal you won't stray during the week as much.

Former pro boxer and ex-heavyweight champ, Chris Byrd recently lost 40 lbs boy doing this.
He'd eat 6 meals a day, but he'd use a small plate for each meal. He only ate lean meats, veggies and fruits. He lost that much in less than 8 months. And this is a person who was already in good shape.

Now imagine if you did that and added some cardio and weight lifting.

The funny thing is, all of the advice that's been given out on this subject is kind of a no-brainer.
The biggest hurdle people face isn't knowledge but will power to do the obvious.
Very few people have the guts or determination to workout and live a healthy lifestyle. It's not easy and that's why not everyone will do it.
Everyone wants a 'get healthy quick' scheme in a form of a pill or milkshake. But that never lasts.

If you make the commitment to exercise at least 3 days a week, it'll carry you so much further in life. Not only will you be healthier physically but mentally as well. And you'll have developed a stronger will to tackle anything that comes your way.

And this might help those starting out too. A study done a few years ago showed that 50% of people will quit working out before the 6 month mark. BUT, if you make it past 6 months, 70% of those people will work out for at least 3 years.
So once it becomes ingrained in your everyday life, chances are it'll stick and you and your body will thank you for it.

ShowmeHawks 06-27-2008 08:12 AM

Good post, PimpHand. I couldn't agree more.

BlackAces 07-05-2008 02:41 PM

I follow a program called P90X, It's an hour a day, (2 hours for yoga) and it comes with a nutrition guide and all that stuff. Yes it's a *as seen on tv* program but this one a got real results from. My cardio used to be crap which really hurt my proformance in hockey but after doing about a month of this I find that I have become a much bigger, stronger and faster presance on the ice. Not to mention the satisfaction you get after working out.

Heres a review:

http://www.weightloss-hq.biz/exercise-r ... eview.html

BTW If you download this off of bittorrent the only thing you spend money on is a yoga mat.

Headcoach 07-05-2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NVMHA Star (Post 14753495)
BTW If you download this off of bittorrent the only thing you spend money on is a yoga mat.

Bit Torrent? Is that a file sharing program? If so, does it come with a data miner when you installed it? Some of those type of programs do that. I always have second thought when it comes to downloading things that say free. The next thing I see is email spam coming across my desk.

Head coach

BlackAces 07-06-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headcoach (Post 14758083)
Bit Torrent? Is that a file sharing program? If so, does it come with a data miner when you installed it? Some of those type of programs do that. I always have second thought when it comes to downloading things that say free. The next thing I see is email spam coming across my desk.

Head coach

Yeah it's a file sharing probgram, I think it's safe my dad did it all and he is a programer/website designer and used to design software for comapnies so I assume it's safe. It also depends who you download it from, some people are reliable and some arn't.

therealdeal 07-06-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivianmb (Post 14570207)

Best advice so far by a long shot. I honestly wouldn't get a trainer, I wouldn't trust most trainers as far as I could throw them.

Eat a healthy, balanced diet, get your protein and carbs, lift a lot, skate a lot, get your cardio, try to avoid alcohol, get a lot of rest, etc.

Its not that complicated, you just gotta turn it into a lifestyle, not a temp diet or a two month process, it should be a lifestyle.

Gobias Industries 01-28-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkipToMyLucic (Post 14567469)

Update:

Now weigh 190 and my strength and cardio are vastly improved.

My 5k used to be around 35min, I've got it down to 26min...

My squat has increased to 250lbs...(5x5)

I look different, and feel a million times better. I've changed my diet to almost exclusively proteins, fruits and vegetables. I have one cheat night, which are Friday nights where I play in a competetive ball hockey league (where I am playing better than I thought I ever could), and we hit up the bar afterwards..

Anyway, just a reminder to anyone thinking of getting in shape that it's just a matter of hitting up the gym, pushing your limits and eating right.

Saved* 01-28-2009 02:28 PM

Actually, the easiest way to lose weight is something called the physics diet. Not even a diet.. if you eat just what your body needs per day, regardless of whether it's junk food or chicken, you will lose weight.

READ: If you eat nothing but cola and chips, you will lose weight so long as it is under your daily calorie intake. Your body may not be the healthiest, but you will lose weight.

To get into shape, all you need is some exercise.

Eat within your daily reccomended intake, and throw in some exercise. Results will flow. Don't give up the foods you love.. just the portions of it. Don't eat 6 bags of chips, 10 litres of cola over a weekend.. cut it down to something that still fits within your intake, and as long as you have some of the other food groups such as meat, dairy, bread etc, you will lose weight, get into much better shape. Trust me.. it works.

I've lost 70 LBS now in under 7 months by following the physics diet. Google it.. you will be amazed. I'm now in the best shape of my life, playing competitive hockey and I eat like a champ. Like tonight.. I'll be eating a large pizza and some coke to go with the game. That's about 2200 calories.. so? I work out 2 hours a day playing hockey, and at an average of 450 calories per hour burned, that's 900 calories. So that 2200 calories just got cut to 1300 calories, which isn't really all that much if you think about it. For an athlete eating an average of 2500-3000 calories per day and still losing weight...

Gobias Industries 01-28-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HURAKAN (Post 17583789)
Actually, the easiest way to lose weight is something called the physics diet. Not even a diet.. if you eat just what your body needs per day, regardless of whether it's junk food or chicken, you will lose weight.

READ: If you eat nothing but cola and chips, you will lose weight so long as it is under your daily calorie intake. Your body may not be the healthiest, but you will lose weight.

To get into shape, all you need is some exercise.

Eat within your daily reccomended intake, and throw in some exercise. Results will flow. Don't give up the foods you love.. just the portions of it. Don't eat 6 bags of chips, 10 litres of cola over a weekend.. cut it down to something that still fits within your intake, and as long as you have some of the other food groups such as meat, dairy, bread etc, you will lose weight, get into much better shape. Trust me.. it works.

I've lost 70 LBS now in under 7 months by following the physics diet. Google it.. you will be amazed. I'm now in the best shape of my life, playing competitive hockey and I eat like a champ. Like tonight.. I'll be eating a large pizza and some coke to go with the game. That's about 2200 calories.. so? I work out 2 hours a day playing hockey, and at an average of 450 calories per hour burned, that's 900 calories. So that 2200 calories just got cut to 1300 calories, which isn't really all that much if you think about it. For an athlete eating an average of 2500-3000 calories per day and still losing weight...

There's nothing healthy about eating chps, cola or pizza.

While I'm sure you can lose weight initially, this diet will eventually fizzle without a ton of muscle building. You'll get to a point where your daily calories will have diminished to the point where you can no longer eat pizza or cola.

This is a great initial diet for those who are obese, but to consider this a long term solution would be a mistake given that the fat content of food goes unaccounted for.

EmptyNetter 01-28-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkipToMyLucic (Post 17583074)
Update:

Now weigh 190 and my strength and cardio are vastly improved.

My 5k used to be around 35min, I've got it down to 26min...

My squat has increased to 250lbs...(5x5)

I look different, and feel a million times better. I've changed my diet to almost exclusively proteins, fruits and vegetables. I have one cheat night, which are Friday nights where I play in a competetive ball hockey league (where I am playing better than I thought I ever could), and we hit up the bar afterwards..

Anyway, just a reminder to anyone thinking of getting in shape that it's just a matter of hitting up the gym, pushing your limits and eating right.

Congratulations! Was this all from following your trainer's advice or did you go rogue?

This thread, especially updating it now, was a great idea -- kind of like a time capsule.

Gobias Industries 01-28-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmptyNetter (Post 17584402)
Congratulations! Was this all from following your trainer's advice or did you go rogue?

This thread, especially updating it now, was a great idea -- kind of like a time capsule.

I went from 220 - 205 with the trainer, he was crucial though to bettering my knowledge of diet and exercise.

More recently I've gone from 205-190 in about a month, I have focused intently on cutting weight and improving my lifestyle. I eat perfectly and train harder than I thought I could. While I think it could be assumed that I'm losing too much weight too quickly, my methods are completely healthy, so I don't think it's too bad.

More recently I've been focusing on running a 5k in under 25 mins, so I've been killing the runs. I've been doing a lot of hills, interval training, basically mixing it up like crazy. I do at least a half an hour on the treadmill every day, and weight train MWF.

The weight training is pretty intense, basically a circuit of about 10 full-body exercises. I've focused heavily on deadlifts and squats. Again, I use a lot of variation in that I'll do low reps-high weight and switch it up to high reps-low weight.

I have no specific goals right now other than to be in the best shape I can be. I want to cut the fat and get myself down to 175, while still keeping up my strength. Once I hit a comfortable level in terms of body fat % I might look at bulking up, but for now, it's all cardio and challenging my body with weights.

EmptyNetter 01-28-2009 03:36 PM

Sounds like a complete lifestyle change. Good for you. I'd like to be more consistent about my exercise, eating, sleep, etc. I've got to want it bad enough and I need to watch out for the offseason. The "rest break" always lasts longer than I intend. :)

cptjeff 01-28-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkipToMyLucic (Post 17583991)
There's nothing healthy about eating chps, cola or pizza.

While I'm sure you can lose weight initially, this diet will eventually fizzle without a ton of muscle building. You'll get to a point where your daily calories will have diminished to the point where you can no longer eat pizza or cola.

This is a great initial diet for those who are obese, but to consider this a long term solution would be a mistake given that the fat content of food goes unaccounted for.

Doesn't have to be healthy. Total caloric intake is the important part. The trouble will be getting enough nutrition with standard junk food, but as long as you're burning more calories then you eat, your body will use it's fat reserves and you'll loose weight.

It's not great long term because once you have no fat left your body will start consuming muscle. But for ditching the fat? It's good. To maintain a healthy weight you have to match caloric intake to what you burn.

To build muscle, you have to take in extra calories in lean protein. That's why you can't loose weight and build muscle at the same time.

Saved* 01-28-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 17585659)
Doesn't have to be healthy. Total caloric intake is the important part. The trouble will be getting enough nutrition with standard junk food, but as long as you're burning more calories then you eat, your body will use it's fat reserves and you'll loose weight.

It's not great long term because once you have no fat left your body will start consuming muscle. But for ditching the fat? It's good. To maintain a healthy weight you have to match caloric intake to what you burn.

To build muscle, you have to take in extra calories in lean protein. That's why you can't loose weight and build muscle at the same time.

This^

For some, it's unrealistic to expect to go from 240-250 lbs to 175 lbs of solid muscle. That's why it's easier to just lose the weight, and then work on putting weight back on through working out.

I mean.. I have a 6 pack for gosh sakes right now. In august, I was 240-50 lbs. I just ate a large pizza lol it may not sound the best, but as long as your calorie intake is less than your expenditures, you will lose weight.

This is my cheat day.. don't think I eat like crap every day. I play hockey daily, eat from the food groups, and eat a healthy amount every day and I'm in the best shape of my life right now.

therealdeal 01-29-2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Only partially correct. While caloric input v output determines weight, it does not determine body composition which is really what matters.

Quote:

Actually, that's incorrect. Your body will start to go for muscle first and try and store extra fat as fat is a long term energy storage tool. Your body will conserve fat because it thinks that there is food scarcity and is planning for a long term defecit, so it will be the last thing you start buring. The only way to combat this is to get lots of protein and use your muscles in such a way that you trick your body into believing they are absolutely essential to your everyday routine. And actually some people can build muscle and lose weight, mostly people who are severly undertrained who have recently started training, and of course, those who control their hormone levels through artificial means.