HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Just how good are the Flames? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=52853)

Sec of Partying Down 02-16-2004 08:56 PM

Just how good are the Flames?
 
The Flames are 30-20-5-3 and sit only 4 points back of Vancouver for fourth in the west with one game in hand. So are the Flames a team equal to Vancouver, or are the more on the level with Nashville and LA? Somewhere in between?

Reign Nateo 02-16-2004 09:01 PM

I'd say their somewhere in between. They have implemented a system that can or cannot be called "a trap" (although I don't know how you could call it anything else) and they have executed it beautifully. They win by sticking to their system and working hard, they are not as talented as the Canucks, but just as dangerous IMO.

evman150* 02-16-2004 09:06 PM

I think they're better than the teams below them, probably not St. Louis at full health though. But they are not nearly as good as the nucks. The Flames have better goaltending, and a better defense with Jovo out, but the Canucks offense remains much more explosive. After each team's number one scorer, the top scorers are Todd Bertuzzi and Shean Donovan. Ish.

Herby 02-16-2004 09:15 PM

Like I said on another thread, lets wait to see where the Flames are at after this brutal stretch of games they have coming up.

Thu 19 at Montreal
Sat 21 at Ottawa
Sun 22 at New Jersey
Tue 24 at Colorado
Thu 26 Detroit
Sun 29 Phoenix

March
Tue 2 at St. Louis
Wed 3 at Detroit
Fri 5 at Dallas
Sun 7 at Colorado
Tue 9 Edmonton
Thu 11 Ottawa
Sat 13 at Nashville
Sun 14 at St. Louis
Tue 16 at Detroit

3 games vs Detroit (2 on the road), 2 road games vs. Colorado, road games vs. playoff caliber teams in Dallas, Montreal, Nashville, St. Louis and New Jersey. The only non-playoff teams they play are Phoenix and Edmonton. We'll know alot more about what kind of team the Flames are after this stretch of games.

VO #23 02-16-2004 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evman150
I think they're better than the teams below them, probably not St. Louis at full health though. But they are not nearly as good as the nucks. The Flames have better goaltending, and a better defense with Jovo out, but the Canucks offense remains much more explosive. After each team's number one scorer, the top scorers are Todd Bertuzzi and Shean Donovan. Ish.

Agreed. The difference in goaltending should be underscored though, I honestly can't see Vancouver making it past the second round with Cloutier in goal. I'm not saying I'd like Calgary's chances against Vancouver, but if they can play the air-tight defence they've been exhibiting in the last few games with Kipprusoff playing at at this level, I don't see why Calgary couldn't have a shot at taking down the Nucks in 6.

Sec of Partying Down 02-16-2004 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evman150
I think they're better than the teams below them, probably not St. Louis at full health though. But they are not nearly as good as the nucks. The Flames have better goaltending, and a better defense with Jovo out, but the Canucks offense remains much more explosive. After each team's number one scorer, the top scorers are Todd Bertuzzi and Shean Donovan. Ish.

That's not entirely fair. Conroy is one excellent centermen and would be the Flames #2 scorer and Reinprecht #3 if not for injuries. But you're right the Canucks offense is much better.

willie 02-16-2004 09:27 PM

I'd say they are better than Nashville and LA (not a healthy Kings team though) but much closer to those two teams than they are to Vancouver.

Sec of Partying Down 02-16-2004 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herby
Like I said on another thread, lets wait to see where the Flames are at after this brutal stretch of games they have coming up.

Thu 19 at Montreal
Sat 21 at Ottawa
Sun 22 at New Jersey
Tue 24 at Colorado
Thu 26 Detroit
Sun 29 Phoenix

March
Tue 2 at St. Louis
Wed 3 at Detroit
Fri 5 at Dallas
Sun 7 at Colorado
Tue 9 Edmonton
Thu 11 Ottawa
Sat 13 at Nashville
Sun 14 at St. Louis
Tue 16 at Detroit

3 games vs Detroit (2 on the road), 2 road games vs. Colorado, road games vs. playoff caliber teams in Dallas, Montreal, Nashville, St. Louis and New Jersey. The only non-playoff teams they play are Phoenix and Edmonton. We'll know alot more about what kind of team the Flames are after this stretch of games.

Agreed but the Flames have already proven they can beat the big clubs. I think the Flames will prove to the world they belong in the playoffs.

Thalia 02-16-2004 09:57 PM

I think they'll make the playoffs this year but after that... who knows.

OMA 02-16-2004 10:23 PM

Somewhere in between.

Vancouver's explosive offence and the presence of an elite d-man like Jovonovski make them a clearly superior team when compared to Calgary. As a Flames fan it pains me to say that Markus Naslund (with the exception of a healthy Forsberg) IS the best player in the NHL right now. Calgary's up and coming defence and the emergence of Kiprusoff might close this gap in the future, but not right now.

Luckily Calgary went through their injury woes in November and December. With STL and LA decimated by injuries for the stretch run, Calgary should be a superior team. Had these two teams been healthy, they'd be better clubs. Dallas is an enigma. I'm not sure how Nashville's sticking around. On paper that club seems weaker, but that's why they play the game.

Calgary's strength is their defence. The top 6 (Leopold, Regehr, Warrener, Lydman, Gauthier and Ference) is solid and are coming of age. They have bought into Sutter's airtight system and are implementing it perfectly. IF they can stick to that system they should be able to finally break the drought. The fans deserve it... 7 years with no playoffs and have still maintained a 93% capacity at the Dome :handclap:

nucks2001 02-16-2004 11:12 PM

Think Minnesota Wild.. little more scoring. I think they are capable of beating anyone in the playoffs. Are they the best team? hell no.. some of the teams below them are better (St. Louis and Dallas come to mind) but the playoffs are all about defense and sticking to the system.

PhillyNucksFan 02-16-2004 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nucks2001
Think Minnesota Wild.. little more scoring. I think they are capable of beating anyone in the playoffs. Are they the best team? hell no.. some of the teams below them are better (St. Louis and Dallas come to mind) but the playoffs are all about defense and sticking to the system.


huh? Anyone seen Wilds play yet.. I think I fell asleep in all of their games.. :joker:

HellsBells 02-17-2004 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nucks2001
Think Minnesota Wild.. little more scoring. I think they are capable of beating anyone in the playoffs. Are they the best team? hell no.. some of the teams below them are better (St. Louis and Dallas come to mind) but the playoffs are all about defense and sticking to the system.

Someone doesn't watch the Flames. They DO NOT play like Minnesota. Why can't any team be good defensively without being called the Wild ?? The Wild have nobody, the Flames have 3 decent scoring lines and a great defence. Minnesota wins games by trapping, the Flames win with team defense. The Wild's D is nowhere near that of the Flames. Enough with the comparisons to Minnesota !!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.