HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Orpik going into Free Agency (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=528874)

Burlington Bomb 26 06-26-2008 05:32 PM

Orpik going into Free Agency

Aparently Brooks Orpik rejected the offer the Penguins gave him.

http://postgazette.com/pg/08178/892906-100.stm

Quote:

Defenseman Brooks Orpik has received, and rejected, a contract offer from the Penguins.

Jaromir Jagr 06-26-2008 05:35 PM

And he was offered 3-3,5 ish money for several years.

That tells me leave him alone, if he rejects that then he's not nearly worth the money he's going to get payed.

Levitate 06-26-2008 05:38 PM

Pretty much...I think these guys coming off good playoff runs will have inflated price tags.

Orpik is a pretty good player, but I'm not sure I'd pay him $4+ mill to do what he does. I feel like it was only a year ago that Pens fans wanted him run out of town and he was being benched.

AJ1982 06-26-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 14584666)
Pretty much...I think these guys coming off good playoff runs will have inflated price tags.

Orpik is a pretty good player, but I'm not sure I'd pay him $4+ mill to do what he does. I feel like it was only a year ago that Pens fans wanted him run out of town and he was being benched.

Yep agreed. If you want Orpik be prepared to overpay.

Burlington Bomb 26 06-26-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 14584666)

your thinking of Brooks Laich. Brooks Orpik is actually a very good player aside from this year.

I Eat Crow 06-26-2008 05:42 PM

Terrible news. Now I know Slats will overpay for him. I'd rather him stay in Pittsburgh and keep them in a cap bind.

beastly115 06-26-2008 05:42 PM

I read somewhere on the Pens forum he was offered 3.3M for a X years (don't remember length). I'd love to have him on our blueline but man, 3.5-4M for him is a tough pill to swallow.

Lundqvist=Vezina 06-26-2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

"But we're still talking."
From the article. He might still be a Penguin.

FLYLine24* 06-26-2008 05:47 PM

People have said over and over..we need a strong hitting defenseman on our blueline that will make sure nobody goes near Lundqvist.

One finally comes along and now we are worried to overpay him by $500,000? He's just entering his prime years. And EVERYONE is overpaid, if you want a good defenseman you have to overpay...its just that simple.

3 years at 4.0-4.2 million, get it done Slats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ1982 (Post 14584684)
Yep agreed. If you want Orpik be prepared to overpay.

If you want a top 4 defenseman on the UFA market be prepared to overpay.

Burlington Bomb 26 06-26-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 14584794)
People have said over and over..we need a strong hitting defenseman on our blueline that will make sure nobody goes near Lundqvist.

One finally comes along and now we are worried to overpay him by $500,000? He's just entering his prime years. And EVERYONE is overpaid, if you want a good defenseman you have to overpay...its just that simple.

QFT, and please no one even consider putting Mike Commodore in the same catogory.

broadwayblue 06-26-2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Exactly. How many people were pissed because we didn't take a hard hitting dman in the draft...a guy who would no doubt take 2 or 3 years to actually suit up for us. The cap is going up 6mm...no reason to lose out on a guy (if he's the right guy) for a few bucks.

Forechecker 06-26-2008 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina (Post 14584746)
From the article. He might still be a Penguin.

Sounds like that meansears not $$$$.

Inferno 06-26-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

agreed. i always assumed his cap hit would be in the 4-4.5 million dollar range.

The Thomas J.* 06-26-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Yes, I agree, Orpik is here for the taking, go get him Sather.

Forechecker 06-26-2008 06:27 PM

If he's planning on AA being a wing, I could see us making a serious push for Opik.

Levitate 06-26-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 (Post 14584712)
your thinking of Brooks Laich. Brooks Orpik is actually a very good player aside from this year.

No I'm thinking of Orpik

HatTrick Swayze 06-26-2008 07:39 PM

If Jay McKee is worth 4x4, so is Orpik

Son of Steinbrenner 06-26-2008 07:40 PM

I heard from a guy on the internet that met sam rosen at a bagel shop that Orpik is being targeted by the Rangers..:D

Just kidding!!

Orpik for the right amount of money fills a huge void on the backline. His combo of size and maturity in his own end over the past two seasons makes him the type of guy that will be looked at as overpaid but really isn't. I wouldn't go past $4.25M for him but I can see him getting $5.0M on the open market...

Sather missed the boat not signing Brendon Witt a few seasons ago. But I'm all about hindsight on that....I was dead against the move...

AJ1982 06-26-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner (Post 14586009)
Orpik for the right amount of money fills a huge void on the backline. His combo of size and maturity in his own end over the past two seasons makes him the type of guy that will be looked at as overpaid but really isn't. I wouldn't go past $4.25M for him but I can see him getting $5.0M on the open market...

Yeah, this is what I mean by overpay. upwards of 5 Mill. If you want to overpay that much for a hardhitting dman, okay, but is it worth it? Maybe yes, maybe no. Wouldn't know till the guy plays a season. I'd love Orpik at 3.5 to 4 Mill. 4-4.5 maybe. 4.5 to 5 is harder.

Brian Boyle 06-26-2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 14585724)
No I'm thinking of Orpik

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Wade Brookbank...

Quote:

I'm not worried about overpaying Orpik by 500,000, more like triple that.

he scares me, he's been a pretty marginal defenseman throughout his career, and has really only put together a few good months.

Levitate 06-26-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -31- (Post 14586337)
he scares me, he's been a pretty marginal defenseman throughout his career, and has really only put together a few good months.

Pretty much this. He's been a bundle of untapped potential until he put it together for a good run. Has he actually turned the corner, or did he just have a couple of good months?

No way to know...

Trxjw 06-26-2008 08:28 PM

I'd like to see us make a couple moves to shore up our defense this off season, and I think a good starting point would be Orpik. If you plan for it, his salary doesn't have to handcuff us. 4yrs/16 mil is a steal for a guy like Orpik in this market.

For what its worth, I get to see Orpik play quite a bit and I have to say he was much better throughout the entire season than many of you are giving him credit for.

SupersonicMonkey* 06-26-2008 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Staal (Post 14584632)
And he was offered 3-3,5 ish money for several years.

That tells me leave him alone, if he rejects that then he's not nearly worth the money he's going to get payed.

I agree.

That stinks. Too much money for him.

I patiently await Sanguinetti and Del Zotto.

Burlington Bomb 26 06-26-2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 14586474)
I'd like to see us make a couple moves to shore up our defense this off season, and I think a good starting point would be Orpik. If you plan for it, his salary doesn't have to handcuff us. 4yrs/16 mil is a steal for a guy like Orpik in this market.

QFT, and it isnt like Orpik type players are a dime a dozen. a kind of player Orpik is, its quite hard to get a Hard Hitting Defensman. You can take a look at how many are in the league, and the 2 true Hard nosed dmen are Orpik, and Komisarek.

FLYLine24* 06-26-2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PukkuMikku (Post 14586511)
I agree.

That stinks. Too much money for him.

I patiently await Sanguinetti and Del Zotto.

Then you'll be waiting awhile. Sangs at best has at least a full year in HFD before the NHL, and Del Zotto has about 3-4 years at earliest.