HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Salary Cap: Kings Estimated Cap Figures (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=529947)

Face Wash 06-30-2008 11:28 AM

Kings Estimated Cap Figures

Broken up by Position.. Forwards/D-Men/Goalies Then Buyouts and RFA's. These are the players that I think have the most reasonable chance to make the team next year. If there's a case to be made to add a player to this, let me know. If a UFA signs I'll add him. Obviously the numbers are from Irish Blues' great www.nhlscap.com site.

Players ------------------- Cap Hit
HANDZUS, MICHAL ----- C - 4,000,000
STOLL, JARRET ------- C - 3,600,000
BROWN, DUSTIN ------- L - 3,175,000
O'SULLIVAN, PATRICK - C - 2,925,000
FROLOV, ALEXANDER --- L - 2,900,000
CALDER, KYLE -------- L - 2,700,000
ARMSTRONG, DEREK ---- C - 1,500,000
KOPITAR, ANZE ------- C --- 955,867
MOLLER, OSCAR ------- C --- 875,000
BOYLE, BRIAN -------- C --- 835,000
SIMMONDS, WAYNE ----- R --- 821,667
IVANANS, RAITIS ----- L --- 600,000
RICHARDSON, BRAD ---- R --- 587,500
MOULSON, MATT ------- L --- 522,500
DOUGHTY, DREW ------- D - 3,475,000
PREISSING, TOM ------ D - 2,750,000
JOHNSON, JACK ------- D - 2,150,000
GAUTHIER, DENIS ----- D - 2,100,000
O'DONNELL, SEAN ----- D - 1,250,000
GREENE, MATT -------- D - 1,150,000
HARROLD, PETER ------ D --- 583,000
LABARBERA, JASON ---- G --- 825,000
ERSBERG, ERIK ------- G --- 700,000

Buyouts ------------------- Cap Hit
CLOUTIER, DAN ------- G - 1,033,333
MCCAULEY, ALAN ------ L --- 666,667

Injured Reserve ---------- Cap Hit
CLICHÉ, MARC-ANDRE -- R --- 850,000
CLUNE, RICHARD ------ L --- 625,000
ZEILER, JOHN -------- R --- 543,750

Current Est. Total ----- 44,699,617

Quattro 06-30-2008 11:39 AM

on top of all the other things wrong with the direction of this team, I'm guessing Lombardi is going to have to give fat, short term contracts to a bunch of washed-up Roenick-type veterans next season just to get to the minimum salary level.

Tadite 06-30-2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quattro (Post 14625262)
on top of all the other things wrong with the direction of this team, I'm guessing Lombardi is going to have to give fat, short term contracts to a bunch of washed-up Roenick-type veterans next season just to get to the minimum salary level.

Why? Blake should be somewhere around 5M or so. O'Sully should get a 1m raise. If we really do resign Stuart thats another 3m+ next thing you know we are way into the high 30's and could go higher depending on which of the prospects makes the team.

Why is this all unexpected? When you go young you also end up cheap...

Ziggy Stardust 06-30-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Did you fail basic math? They're currently over $27M. You can safely assume it would cost about $7M+ to re-sign Stoll, O'Sullivan, Richardson, Moulson, Harrold and Ersberg. That puts them at approximately $35M.

They sign two players; say Blake and Stuart, and they meet the salary floor at $40M.

Problem solved.

TonySCV 06-30-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

In case you missed the memo... winning now is not the goal. The Kings are not making the playoffs next season. They weren't before this trade, they aren't now. The sooner you get a grip on WHY the Kings are going to be bad for another season or two, the easier this will be to stomach.

You may as well take a couple years off and come back in 2010 when the Kings are competitive again, because that's how long it's going to be.

- T

Kurrilino 06-30-2008 12:56 PM

As i told you over the last season,
i am willing to accept another crappy year for growing a monster Team.

And that is exactly what happens.... but i wouldn t count this as crappy.

The young defender like Johnson, Teubert, Doughty, Greene will learn the NHL style and that is not crappy that is an investment.
We only have to fill the left wing 1st line/2nd line center/2nd line left wing. only one of them.

For me Purcell fits the 1st line Wing.... what means O sully fills the 2nd line Center.
Lombardi killed our cap space and i think that is for a reason.
He tries to get in a top 6 attacker and a top 4 defensemen....

the other scenario.... Stoll turns arround and fits the scoring 3rd line Center... that means Boyle will be the 2nd liner

something like that

Purcell - Kopitar - Brown
Frolov- Boyle - O Sully
Moulson - Stoll - Richards..
Calder - Handzus - Ellis

for me that looks great to buid on
and i see the absolute right direction to build a winning team.
Lombardi searchs for teh right player who fits in, not the best Player for the position who runs after the big money and dont care about the team.

Go Ahead Mr. Lombardi.....

Dave in LA 06-30-2008 01:03 PM

kings say they're losing money and trim 10+ mil off the books (homegrown players) and they raise ticket prices.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Do you remember the Luc & Boucher fiascos?

However, the defense is going to be awesome in a few years if they keep Greene.

Johnson/Doughty
Tuebert/Hickey
Greene/Preissing

Quattro 06-30-2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySCV (Post 14626067)
In case you missed the memo... winning now is not the goal. The Kings are not making the playoffs next season. They weren't before this trade, they aren't now. The sooner you get a grip on WHY the Kings are going to be bad for another season or two, the easier this will be to stomach.

You may as well take a couple years off and come back in 2010 when the Kings are competitive again, because that's how long it's going to be.

- T

Believe me, I am considering it. The flaw in this kind of thinking is that EVERY SINGLE ONE of the Kings top prospects will have to pan out to over 90% of expectations for this team to be REMOTELY competitive even in a few years. I'd like a little better odds than that for the $5K a year I spend to watch this terrible team.

jfont 06-30-2008 07:56 PM

I think this deserves a sticky...and we can all thank FW's nerdom.:sarcasm:

Face Wash 06-30-2008 08:08 PM

:teach:

no name 06-30-2008 09:21 PM

Quote:

- T

Good news is it will be a REALLY fun draft party next season.

DIEHARD the King fan 07-01-2008 01:25 AM

Quote:

- T

- T

I got the memo, but with more than a few years on you as a King fan (since 78-79), this is the fifth or maybe sixth iteration of the build from within we have no foundation restructuring that I've endured.

There is a modicum of sense here to DL's madness, but when managment tells you they wont be competitive for more than two years, I think its a fair assumption that you can add two more to that number and maybe, just maybe we will be there. But remember that Defenseman take far longer to come into their prime in the NHL than do scoring forwards with reall "net-talent"
And, we are stocking the blueline with young D talent. Hickey, Doughty and Tuebertare all two years away from being IMPACT players at best scenario, more likely three to four. By then our young veteran forwards will be burnt out, will want their payday and/or begin to think that the only way for them to touch the Grail will be to do it elsewhere. Not every team can follow Philly's route, but it sure would be worth trying sooner rather than later.

DIEHARD the King fan 07-01-2008 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quattro (Post 14627172)
Believe me, I am considering it. The flaw in this kind of thinking is that EVERY SINGLE ONE of the Kings top prospects will have to pan out to over 90% of expectations for this team to be REMOTELY competitive even in a few years. I'd like a little better odds than that for the $5K a year I spend to watch this terrible team.

I'm right there with you, and its why I didnt renew. My money will be accepted by the Kings when and if they get competitive in two, three, four years, but its too darned frustrating to pay 10k a year and get pissed off at every other game because the team is just overmatched and not competitive.

If I'm being asked to watch a team with talent at a minor league level,Ii dont think I should have to pay major league prices. so after 21 years as a Season seat ticket holder, I said PASS this time around!!!

TonySCV 07-01-2008 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan (Post 14639203)
- T

I got the memo, but with more than a few years on you as a King fan (since 78-79), this is the fifth or maybe sixth iteration of the build from within we have no foundation restructuring that I've endured.

There is a modicum of sense here to DL's madness, but when management tells you they wont be competitive for more than two years, I think its a fair assumption that you can add two more to that number and maybe, just maybe we will be there. But remember that Defenseman take far longer to come into their prime in the NHL than do scoring forwards with reall "net-talent"
And, we are stocking the blueline with young D talent. Hickey, Doughty and Tuebertare all two years away from being IMPACT players at best scenario, more likely three to four.

I'm with you, although I split the difference and guessed 3 years. I do think that 2010-2011 and on will be when this franchise really starts to come together. I think they'll turn the corner in 2009-2010, but 2010-2011 is what my money's on, which amounts to year 3 from now - AKA the final year of DL's current contract.

I'd rather follow Detroit's route or Pittsburgh's route. Philadelphia is a great example of how you can buy the payoffs but fall short trying to win the Cup. I didn't see a whole lot of cohesiveness of a team during their playoff run in May. The contrast between Detroit and Philadelphia was striking.

I went from a full season to a half season this year as well. I support what DL's doing, but I don't need to see 41 games of struggling again this year. 20 will be plenty. I'll bump it back up to a full season when the team gets well over the .500 hump.

- T

RonSwanson* 07-01-2008 03:17 AM

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=LA

Currently have $29,217,050 in cap space, second only to CBus.

CBGB 07-04-2008 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 14625754)
Did you fail basic math? They're currently over $27M. You can safely assume it would cost about $7M+ to re-sign Stoll, O'Sullivan, Richardson, Moulson, Harrold and Ersberg. That puts them at approximately $35M.

They sign two players; say Blake and Stuart, and they meet the salary floor at $40M.

Problem solved.

(tee hee)

Ziggy Stardust 07-04-2008 12:35 AM

Good thing I assumed and didn't pencil 'em in. They could still meet the floor without them.

Realistically, it would probably cost more than $7M to re-sign Stoll, O'Sullivan, Richardson, Ersberg, Harrold and Moulson.

Assume they give Stoll a 3 year deal worth a total of $9M, that's $3M per. Say O'Sullivan gets $3M per year as well. Richardson at $700K, Harrold at $600K, Ersberg at $800K and Moulson at $700K as well, that's about $8.8M. Doughty's contract + bonuses will push that figure to over $10M.

If they are at $29M now, add $10M after re-signings and the addition of Doughty, the Kings are right near the floor.

It still isn't a big deal to meet the floor. And they have until October to reach that floor. No sense in panicking. Some people are apparently too lazy to do the math or just like to overreact like a bunch of drama queens. I mean drama Kings.

Captain Ron 07-04-2008 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 14728756)
Good thing I assumed and didn't pencil 'em in. They could still meet the floor without them.

Realistically, it would probably cost more than $7M to re-sign Stoll, O'Sullivan, Richardson, Ersberg, Harrold and Moulson.

Assume they give Stoll a 3 year deal worth a total of $9M, that's $3M per. Say O'Sullivan gets $3M per year as well. Richardson at $700K, Harrold at $600K, Ersberg at $800K and Moulson at $700K as well, that's about $8.8M. Doughty's contract + bonuses will push that figure to over $10M.

If they are at $29M now, add $10M after re-signings and the addition of Doughty, the Kings are right near the floor.

It still isn't a big deal to meet the floor. And they have until October to reach that floor. No sense in panicking. Some people are apparently too lazy to do the math or just like to overreact like a bunch of drama queens. I mean drama Kings.

I am sure there are other options....but it is probably not the best idea to use Doughty's contract to meet the cap floor. Because if the season starts and it is clear he is not ready for the NHL Lombardi will not have the option of sending him back to juniors (the league will not allow Lombardi to go under the cap floor). That would be disasterous. Hopefully Doughty is ready and this will not be an issue. But I think they need to come up with a plan where they do not depend on Doughty's contract to meet the floor.

Rorschach 07-04-2008 01:19 PM

UFA's aren't going to want to come here until this team is good again.

If we want to get to the floor, we're either going to have to acquire ridiculous contracts from other teams that will be UFA in a year like Stoll's situation.

The question is, what teams have players they want to unload so badly that they would be willing to pay for the privelege? If we have to give up more low ranked prospects to do it, I'm all for it, in case the other GM wants something coming back the other way. I would have done a 2nd rounder in a deep draft for Hersley and Lucacevic all day.

We should probably scour the rosters of teams like SJ for anchor-like contracts. We might even entertain getting contracts that expire in TWO years rather than just one since we won't exactly be at the Cup finals then either.

- R

Captain Ron 07-04-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rorschach (Post 14736384)
UFA's aren't going to want to come here until this team is good again.

If we want to get to the floor, we're either going to have to acquire ridiculous contracts from other teams that will be UFA in a year like Stoll's situation.

The question is, what teams have players they want to unload so badly that they would be willing to pay for the privelege? If we have to give up more low ranked prospects to do it, I'm all for it, in case the other GM wants something coming back the other way. I would have done a 2nd rounder in a deep draft for Hersley and Lucacevic all day.

We should probably scour the rosters of teams like SJ for anchor-like contracts. We might even entertain getting contracts that expire in TWO years rather than just one since we won't exactly be at the Cup finals then either.

- R

That pick is for the 2010 draft. It is hard to say if that is a deep draft or not. It is still two years away.

Ziggy Stardust 07-04-2008 01:32 PM

Who cares if it is years away, it is more than fair in exchange for two prospects in the ECHL.

I figure the Sharks may be trying to move Kyle McLaren's contract now. He has a year remaining and Lombardi is fond of him.

Reaper45 07-04-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidward (Post 14736470)
That pick is for the 2010 draft. It is hard to say if that is a deep draft or not. It is still two years away.

Why does it matter? A 2nd round pick still holds more value than Lukacevic or Hersley. Sheep, mere sheep. ECHL fodder at it's finest.

Captain Ron 07-04-2008 01:37 PM

I will agree with that....I just think that Rorschach was under the impression that it was a 2009 pick.

rajuabju 07-08-2008 12:52 PM

Everytime I look at that list, the ONLY thing that comes to my mind:

What the **** was Dean Lombardi smoking/injecting/drinking/snorting when he gave Handzus that deal.

Holden Caulfield 07-08-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 14736732)
Who cares if it is years away, it is more than fair in exchange for two prospects in the ECHL.

I figure the Sharks may be trying to move Kyle McLaren's contract now. He has a year remaining and Lombardi is fond of him.

We might be able to solve much of our problems in division. Both Anaheim and San Jose are in cap trouble, we unneeded expensive d-men on their blueline. If we can pick up McLaren and Schneider out of SJ and ANA respectively, we might have a chance at actually improving our roster. This blueline makes much more sense to me.
Schneider - Johnson
McLaren - Preissing
Harrold - Greene
Gauthier
If Doughty is ready, simply bump Gauthier to Manchester, probably where he belongs anyways, and we got a decent D. Combine that with a defensive coach, and assuming Boyle/Purcell/Moulson/Handzus/Stoll step up we might have the type of team I was hoping we would this year. Not playoff ready, but enough to compete. Then by 09-10, we would be ready to get back to playoffs. Unfortunatly I doubt DL (otherwords AEG) is willing to do this.