HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Any news on the Smith Rumours? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=53010)

romain_jaime 02-17-2004 10:56 AM

Any news on the Smith Rumours?

Has anyone heard any "new" news on the Ryan Smith trade rumours?

Sorry for the duplicate thread but I am what some people would concider... lazy ;)

Team_Spirit 02-17-2004 11:05 AM

What about Smith and Smyth for 1st pick , Bauchemin , Perezhogin and Bulis ?

Sonik 02-17-2004 12:29 PM

A Habs-Beat Journalist (Mathias Brunet - La Presse) said that the rumor had no real source. I just hope he's wrong...

jacklours 02-17-2004 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej

What is that, a rumor, or a proposal?

Team_Spirit 02-17-2004 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacklours
What is that, a rumor, or a proposal?

What about .. song like a proposal ... but i was just kidding beceause romain_jaime talk about Smyth but he writes Smith ... and Smith is interesting because he could fill a whole on d ( physical d-man ) and Smyth would is the top foward we need so why don't get both ;)

jacklours 02-17-2004 02:53 PM

[QUOTE=Jozeph_Balej]What about .. song like a proposal ...QUOTE]

I guess you're right :blush:

not quite yoda 02-17-2004 04:16 PM

Quote:

WOW! Now that would be a travesty! First off Smith is of little use to us. He is a righty. There, we already have no room for (our future) Komisarek since Quintal, Rivet and Brisebois are all righties. so 1 for 1 Smith for Beauchemin... I don't think it's even worth it losing youth for a vet at a position where we need no additions.

And then... a 28 year old big contract for three pieces of our future!?
Smyth for a 1st (which shouldn't be moved unless it's to move up in the draft), Bulis, AND Perezhogin? I don't think so.

And I haven't even mentioned that this deal is incompatible with the Oil's needs. They are stacked with young wingers. They need

A)puck carrying D for the PP
B)Natural centre with some size
C)up and coming goalie

you're offering 2 wingers (not a priority for EDM) and a 1st (that's nice).

It find the habs would be going in the (old) wrong direction.

romain_jaime 02-17-2004 08:59 PM

Geez, I'm assuming that from now on I better check my spelling on these boards. And yes, I meant to write Smyth not smith :blush:

Go Habs Go 02-17-2004 10:35 PM

If we acquired Smith and Smyth, it would significantly improve our team. Smyth would automatically become our best winger and Smith would become a top 3 defenseman (probably second behind Souray). They would bring a lot of skill and most importantly leadership. This type of deal would certainly be good for the team but it would also come at a great price. I would be more in favour for acquiring only one of the two.

Team_Spirit 02-17-2004 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espion
WOW! Now that would be a travesty! First off Smith is of little use to us. He is a righty. There, we already have no room for (our future) Komisarek since Quintal, Rivet and Brisebois are all righties. so 1 for 1 Smith for Beauchemin... I don't think it's even worth it losing youth for a vet at a position where we need no additions.

We will loose Beauchemin at the waiver draft anyways , he won't be protected automaticlly this year . And **** Rivet he's making too much and he doing next to nothing that truly benefit to the team . Smith would be a top 3 d-man here .

Katsitsyn or Balej can fill Perezhogin shoes and Smyth takes Bulis spot . The question is : does the Habs really need them to makes the playoffs or they'll rebound nad makes them ?! and the new CBA is also a concern here so i doubt the deal works out .

felixd 02-18-2004 05:33 AM

These are two players that would tremendously improve the Canadiens, but I think trading for both of them would be giving up a lot. If Gainey is thinking about this, he is probably waiting to see how Higgins develops, because if Higgins is ready to play in the NHL next year, Gainey will definitely offer up Ribeiro and Garon(and maybe more) for either one of these players if not both.

gohabsgo2010 02-18-2004 06:18 AM

Quote:

And **** Rivet..doing next to nothing that truly benefit to the team .

That's not true.

turnbuckle* 02-18-2004 07:27 AM

Morrisey has stated on numerous occasions that he'll never play in the band again.