HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Will BG make a trade or trades by the deadline? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=53014)

EBS111 02-17-2004 11:01 AM

Will BG make a trade or trades by the deadline?

for some reason i have a feeling BG will not make any trades by the deadline but i think he might make a move during the off season. What do u guys think?

Habber 02-17-2004 11:17 AM

I think he'll make at least a minor move or two as we've got guys like Perrault and Kilger who aren't getting a lot of playing time and aren't in the long term plan. Also, there's a chance BG will be able to find a taker for Dykhuis, maybe a playoff team who needs some insurance on D.

The thing I'm not sure about is the status of Hossa and Hainsey. If BG doesn't think they'll become good NHL'ers, he'll trade them as their value is pretty high right now and they would be worth next to nothing after a lockout. If he thinks they're still going to be contributors to this team in the future, he'll stand pat.

My feeling is that both Hainsey and Hossa will stay and that those hoping for Smyth or another big move will be disappointed, but there will definately be some minor tweaking.

scosar 02-17-2004 11:33 AM

My feeling is that both Hainsey and Hossa will stay and that those hoping for Smyth or another big move will be disappointed, but there will definately be some minor tweaking.[/QUOTE]

My feeling is that BG would be better off waiting until the draft. Pittsburgh who have so few NHL ready players might consider a package of some (not all) of these prospects Hainsey/Hossa/Pleks/Balej and our 1st. That is assuming the Pens get the 1st overall pick.

Now that would fit in with the BG plan. Trading a package of prospects for a potentially great prospect.

VAN-HAB 02-17-2004 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EBS111
for some reason i have a feeling BG will not make any trades by the deadline but i think he might make a move during the off season. What do u guys think?

Yes he will get Gonchar....alright I am just dreaming :)

Perez 02-17-2004 12:17 PM

Maybe he's going to trade for a ufa. Habs got alot of prospect, they could easely moove one if they're getting in return a valuable player.

I doubt they will moove in the off-season. They will probably wait to see if there's a lock-out or a salary cap. Or just make a small moovel like acquiring Laperriere or mooving prospects up...

Quote:

Originally Posted by scosar

My feeling is that BG would be better off waiting until the draft. Pittsburgh who have so few NHL ready players might consider a package of some (not all) of these prospects Hainsey/Hossa/Pleks/Balej and our 1st. That is assuming the Pens get the 1st overall pick.

Now that would fit in with the BG plan. Trading a package of prospects for a potentially great prospect.

I seriously doubt the pens trade the first overall if they ever get it. They've got good depht in prospects ( or atleast above average), all they need is a franchise player like Ovechkin on there offense and they're set.. They would only trade if they got players like Komi, Kats and Higgs in there package imo..

8b 02-17-2004 12:52 PM

By the way, someone knows if it happened that the habs have not traded within the season?

Darz 02-17-2004 01:15 PM

I think Gainey will be working the phones as hard as any GM in the league for the next little while, but will only venture to make a low risk move. I would be REALLY surprised if Gainey made a big move. He's definately seems to want to play it safe this year and re-assess in the offseason.

kaCHing 02-17-2004 04:31 PM

The team needs at least one physical, veteran winger who can score from the crease......even a rental would be OK as long as we don't give up good prospects, just a low pick. We've been patient fans, we deserve to be in the playoffs.

Maybe all GM's should be required to trade a roster player once a month so that the fans have something to talk about... :D