HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Theo vs ATL ??? WHY ??? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=53056)

Zednik 02-17-2004 01:21 PM

Theo vs ATL ??? WHY ???

I was surprised when I heard Theodore would be in net against Atlanta ? Why not Garon ? He did fine against Ottawa. Theodore has been awful since the All-Star game, why not let him rest a week or 2 ?

Perez 02-17-2004 01:24 PM

Because he's the #1 goalie and cause he's not a *****. ;)

Gros Bill 02-17-2004 01:24 PM

rest for a week or 2 ? Who are you, Johnny V ?

Kidding aside, Theo is this team's bread and butter, heart and soul and shake and bake. It's much better to let Theo play through his slump, he can only get better. Also he's played pretty good vs ATL the last couple of times they met. Finally, I can't see his confidence growing while sitting on the bench.

TwineSniper 02-17-2004 01:28 PM

Sorry to be so blunt, but this is a pretty stupid question.

Theodore has said time and again, for him to be on the top of his game, he needs to play and play alot.

Also, Atlanta isn't the same team as in the past, they are icing a pretty competitive team this year, competitive with everyone from Detroit, right down to Pittsburgh.

I know this is a crazy thought, but has anyone ever heard of a "slump"? Every player has them from time to time, and the best way to snap out of it, is too show confidence and play them.

Darz 02-17-2004 01:28 PM

Theo's been a rock for this team for 98% of the season to date and after a minor struggle we are supposed to bench him for a week???

Not likely.

Necrophile 02-17-2004 01:29 PM

All those arguments... plus the fact that Théo has made Kovalchuk his *****.

Habber 02-17-2004 01:35 PM

Theo's the reason we're in a playoff spot and the only one that can keep us there. He needs to get out of this slump and the only way to do it is by playing. Also, throughout his career Theo has been excellent the game after a poor performance and he's 3-0 with only 3 goals against versus the Thrashers.

The whole team has been playing poorly since the all-star break, not just Theo, so let's hope everybodycan break out of it tonight.

Guy Caballero 02-17-2004 01:42 PM

This is as close to a must-win game as you get. Ergo, the number-one guy goes in.

Zednik 02-17-2004 01:45 PM

It was not a negative comment, I just think Theo might be tired... He has played a lot in the past weeks. And I'd like to see how Garon can react...

jacklours 02-17-2004 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zednik
It was not a negative comment, I just think Theo might be tired... He has played a lot in the past weeks. And I'd like to see how Garon can react...

Yeah, but we just Theo real bad fot tonight's game, NYI is tied with us, Buffalo keeps on winning, and position 6,5,4 keep on climbing the mountain while we're stuck on flat land

Perez 02-17-2004 01:51 PM

It's true that Theo as played alot, more than the majority of the other #1 goalies (I think?) but right now isn't the moment to bench him for 2 to 3 games in a row. But it would be good to see wath Garon can do, thats true.

Catala 02-17-2004 01:51 PM

Quote:

I was surprised when I heard Theodore would be in net against Atlanta ? Why not Garon ? He did fine against Ottawa. Theodore has been awful since the All-Star game, why not let him rest a week or 2 ?

As much as i would like to see Garon play more often, This game has to be Theo's.

2 reasons:

the first one is the importance of the game. Losing tonight might bring a storm in Montreal as everybody would panic (fans) and the players will take on their shoulders tons of pressure. (because of their 10 points lead they haven't gone through that part yet.)

Second, Theo has been very solid this year and after Saturday, he has to start to stand up to his bad performance. It has to be now to quickly forget the Sens.

VAN-HAB 02-17-2004 02:07 PM

I don't wanna even imagine what will happen if Habs loose again tonight. Are they gonna blame it on Theo or CJ or Gainey for not pulling the trigger on a trade, Saku's lack of leadership (?, hate this one), Boullion's MiniMe stature, Souray's injury, Zednik lazyness, some of our pylons in the defense (Rivet, Quintal....man our defense really suck)!!!!!

Tuggy 02-17-2004 02:11 PM

Quote:

You shouldn't be surprised, Theo has played very well against the Thrashers this season. Plus after being pullled on Saturday Theo has a chip on his shoulder and should play with an edge tonight, I expect to see the best out of Theo tonight.

As for rest him for a week or 2 :dunno: we are in the midst of a fierce playoff battle and its not exactly the most oppurtune time to rest your number 1 goalie.

Zednik 02-17-2004 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuggy
You shouldn't be surprised, Theo has played very well against the Thrashers this season. Plus after being pullled on Saturday Theo has a chip on his shoulder and should play with an edge tonight, I expect to see the best out of Theo tonight.

As for rest him for a week or 2 :dunno: we are in the midst of a fierce playoff battle and its not exactly the most oppurtune time to rest your number 1 goalie.

It's not like Garon could not win any game :dunno:

RichardZednik#20 02-17-2004 02:51 PM

Garon will play VS Calgary win or lose for the habs tonight. Theo tonight and vs the Leafs.

Habber 02-17-2004 03:27 PM

Quote:

It's not like Garon could not win any game :dunno:

That's backwards thinking.

Why don't we rest Koivu and put Kilger on the 1st line? We could win this way, but the chance is much lower.

Theo has the Trashers number and is our number 1 goalie, I don't even see what the debate is about.

Joe Malone 02-17-2004 04:11 PM

I thought Garon would maybe get the start too. Garon does need some work, and he's got a pretty successful history against Atlanta...shut 'em out twice a couple of years ago. Also, Theo did not play well, and Julien's strategy is to sit players who aren't performing up to peak. I know, I know, it's Theo, our bread and butter, but I'd rather have Garon start against the struggling Thrashers, and have Theo start against Calgary and T.O., two pretty hot teams right now.

BLONG7 02-17-2004 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardZednik#20
Garon will play VS Calgary win or lose for the habs tonight. Theo tonight and vs the Leafs.

This is what will happen... after Theo beats Atlanta, then Garon will get the Flames... then Theo beats the Leafs Sat night!

Telperiën 02-17-2004 05:07 PM

Because the Thrasher have nightmares about Theo.

Kovalchuk, for some odd reason, CANNOT score on him.

CrAzYNiNe 02-17-2004 05:48 PM

2 things:

1 is that Theo owns the Thrasher this year, it's very easy to see him playing
2 is that goalies need to play a lot, cause without play, you suck

JOHNBOY 02-17-2004 05:49 PM

Go Atlanta. :joker:

Agalloch 02-17-2004 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
Go Atlanta. :joker:

Hey ! You must be JOHNNY V's little brother?

Zednik 02-17-2004 06:53 PM

Theo owns Kovalchuk ? Yeah sure. ;)

Mats NAslund 02-17-2004 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habber
That's backwards thinking.

Why don't we rest Koivu and put Kilger on the 1st line? We could win this way, but the chance is much lower.

Theo has the Trashers number and is our number 1 goalie, I don't even see what the debate is about.

The debate is as follows...Are you watching this game. Theodore has once again (4 in row) played below avg. After Theodores last 3 horrid performances I was sure they would play Garon. Garon had a very goos third period vs the Sens. At this point in the year you have to go with the hot hand not with with the popular choice. I'm not saying Garon was hot but he certainly cannot do any worse then what Theodre has done since the All Star break. Play Garon and roll with the hot hand, if that means Theodore sits until Garon has a bad game, well so be it! If Garon falters then go back tot Theodore, Theodre has been given every chance to get his grove back and has not done so.