HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Zidlicky traded (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=530579)

Jarnberg 07-01-2008 12:31 PM

Zidlicky traded

To Minnesota...according to NHL Live

Ryan Jones and a 2nd

Ugh

trueblue9441 07-01-2008 12:34 PM

ryan jones and a 2nd round pick

barrytrotzsneck 07-01-2008 12:35 PM

That's all we could get for Zidlicky?

I'm not sure if I'm more furious or disappointed.

PredDave 07-01-2008 12:35 PM

salary dump?

Poile may try for a top-6 forward with the freed up money?

Jarnberg 07-01-2008 12:35 PM

That is a terrible deal imo (for us)

Enoch 07-01-2008 12:37 PM

We knew Zidlicky was going to be traded. He should have netted a first round pick (minimum) from a good team (which Minnesota is). I have no idea who ryan jones is, but I doubt he is anything special....

Mediocre deal. In my opinion, we undersold Zidlicky, which I am not surprised happen given our situation and Poile's past history of trades. I'm glad this deal has finally been made since we clear up salary and make room for our young guys.

Jarnberg 07-01-2008 12:37 PM

I wonder who all the people who are clueless about hockey are going to blame all of our losses on...

echlfreak 07-01-2008 12:47 PM

Poile better have a BIG move up his sleeve for this coming season, because right now the team is weaker than last year having lost:

Zidlicky
Gelinas
Hlavac
Bochenski
Niskala
Mason

and adding nothing but

Grant
Jones
and more bloody draft picks

someone should tell Poile that this is not a salary dump season like last year and to get things in gear!!!!!

Enoch 07-01-2008 12:51 PM

Grant and Jones will likely be nothing more than 4th liners, if that, according to scouting reports and other teams fans (going with what i have right now). Its disappointing that Zidlicky netted so little when he is arguably just as good as Brian Campbell.

Jarnberg 07-01-2008 12:51 PM

Niskala didn't play for us, so that doesn't make us worse other then not having more depth.

Bochenski was garbage for us and barely played.

Hlavac was sort of ok.

Zidlicky, Mason, Gelinas, Hordichuk have been our real losses so far.

Joe T Choker 07-01-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 14649240)
Grant and Jones will likely be nothing more than 4th liners, if that, according to scouting reports and other teams fans (going with what i have right now). Its disappointing that Zidlicky netted so little when he is arguably just as good as Brian Campbell.

I'm happy with this deal in that it frees up more money for Alexander Radulov :yo:

Jarnberg 07-01-2008 12:59 PM

What is Poile's spin going to be on this salary dump?

Stocking up the farm system (again and again)

BigFatCat999 07-01-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 14649592)
What is Poile's spin going to be on this salary dump?

Stocking up the farm system (again and again)

I'm willing to gamble that Poile offers a RFA a deal adn the picks he's been pooling up are for fodder.

Jarnberg 07-01-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 14649771)
I'm willing to gamble that Poile offers a RFA a deal adn the picks he's been pooling up are for fodder.

And that would mean that we would spend alot of money on a RFA, because obviously you'd be making a move like that so that the other team does not sign that player.

I seriously doubt that our franchise is in any, any spot to make a RFA offer sheet.

Poile said that he would not sign Gelinas because we have too many players under contract @ forward

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....tennessean.com

Legionnaire11 07-01-2008 01:13 PM

what I read on Jones looks good.

Right Wing

6'2 - 215

97 points in 84 games the past two seasons at Miami.

Finalist for the Hobey Baker.

Everything looks pretty darn good to me. some size, good skill. Seems to me like we drafted Wilson, Geoffrion has improved greatly and now adding Jones to the mix. We've upgraded our forward prospects a TON!

Plus a 2nd round pick is not bad, definitely a pick that could land in the NHL.

I'm a Zids fan, have his jersey even. But I think this is a decent deal, particularly if it frees up money to do something at forward.

Edit: to reflect the info that DIAK found!

Joe T Choker 07-01-2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 (Post 14650142)
what I read on Jones looks good.

Right Wing

6'1 - 200

97 points in 84 games the past two seasons at Miami.

Finalist for the Hobey Baker.

Everything looks pretty darn good to me. some size, good skill. Seems to me like we drafted Wilson, Geoffrion has improved greatly and now adding Jones to the mix. We've upgraded our forward prospects a TON!

Plus a 2nd round pick is not bad, definitely a pick that could land in the NHL.

I'm a Zids fan, have his jersey even. But I think this is a decent deal, particularly if it frees up money to do something at forward.

he's 6-2 215 according to this

Jarnberg 07-01-2008 01:15 PM

The only signing that this will mean for us is probably Klein and Koistinen...

I wouldn't get your hopes up about us freeing up salary for another forward unless we move Ortmeyer, Nichol, Fiddler, Smithson, etc.

barrytrotzsneck 07-01-2008 01:16 PM

I like the deal a *little* better after reading up on jones. Big, bruising power forward who is done with college and ready for AHL\NHL duty. One ugly cat, though.

http://muredhawks.cstv.com/sports/m-...es_ryan00.html

Legionnaire11 07-01-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echlfreak (Post 14649064)
Poile better have a BIG move up his sleeve for this coming season, because right now the team is weaker than last year having lost:

Zidlicky - A loss. But we still have plenty of O on the blueline.
Gelinas - Injured for a long period
Hlavac - played well after the deadline, but has a history of being a bum
Bochenski - barely played
Niskala - never played
Mason - stunk it up last season, Rinne will be a better starter when he's ready (now?)

plus all of the guys who continue to progress naturally. And the Zids trade frees up a lot of valuable cash.

Legionnaire11 07-01-2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer (Post 14650198)
he's 6-2 215 according to this

the bio I saw was from his junior season I think. 6'2 - 215 is awesome!

echlfreak 07-01-2008 01:18 PM

they could have traded one of our 10 fourth liners for Jones....Zidlicky was worth at least a solid forward that can play NOW...we are set with draft picks for the future and Milwaukee is covered...lets start taking care of the Predators

BigFatCat999 07-01-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 14649923)
And that would mean that we would spend alot of money on a RFA, because obviously you'd be making a move like that so that the other team does not sign that player.

I seriously doubt that our franchise is in any, any spot to make a RFA offer sheet.

Poile said that he would not sign Gelinas because we have too many players under contract @ forward

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....tennessean.com

Then what honest option is out there? Poile has just shot his wad on the biggest chip he had in the deck for Ryan Jones and a 2nd. The Preds are at $42 Million salary with RFA's Koistinen and Klein who could STILL get RFA offers. Short on one top 6 forward, 3rd line forward and with Steve Sullivan still on the books.

Options left:

1) Steve Sullivan is back healthy and can give something to the team. (Not even close to likely.

2) Hornqvist and Pihlstrom ARE better than advertised and show something this year.

3) Colin Wilson is NHL ready to play

4) Big option coming up on the UFA side.

5) RFA signing which the Preds can easily give draft picks away for

or the worse case...

6) Poile believes this year is not the year for the Preds and with the improvements to the Central, the Preds don't have a chance to get into the playoffs. Save money this year to sign big FA's next year and use the kids coming up to fill the holes in the 3rd and 4th lines next year. :p:

darth5 07-01-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 (Post 14650304)
plus all of the guys who continue to progress naturally. And the Zids trade frees up a lot of valuable cash...

...that we almost certainly WILL NOT be spending on high proced free agents, unless their agent calls DP first:laugh:
Ok, really though, I think they mean it when they say we won't be shopping for big ticket guys.

Jarnberg 07-01-2008 01:27 PM

Obviously its far too early to tell, but to me this is just us saving money like always (not always a bad thing :)) and hoping that our young guys pull through.

I do think that Pihlstrom and Hornqvist are going to be the real deals. Hopefuly Trotz gives them a proper chance.

If we get rid of Smithson, Fiddler and company and beef up our third and fourth line and get solid two way players, then I think that will improve our team.

Legionnaire11 07-01-2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoda of the chains (Post 14650572)
...that we almost certainly WILL NOT be spending on high proced free agents, unless their agent calls DP first:laugh:
Ok, really though, I think they mean it when they say we won't be shopping for big ticket guys.

no, but... Klein and Koistinen still to sign. We will have to re-sign Radulov next season. Still have to add Hornqvist, Pihlstrom or Wilson to the roster. Have been rumored to be looking at enforcers as well. No big ticket moves, but still, every bit of cash is 10x more important for the preds than nearly every other franchise.

Even if we don't use the money to add a single player, that's $3M save that won't go towards the $20M in losses for the lease.