HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Does signing Redden open or close potential Kovy trades? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=530909)

TreeSapLlama 07-01-2008 07:00 PM

Does signing Redden open or close potential Kovy trades?

Don't tear into me too much for this since i don't post often, but with the signing of redden and rozy, we have a D corps that looks something like this:

Redden - Staal
Rozy - X (Backman?)
Girardi - Tyutin

While i realize that redden's cap hit is high, would we now be able to offer a package of Sanguinetti, Cherepanov, 1st 2009, Tyutin, Girardi for Kovalchuk? I realize the asking price is steep for kovalchuk, but would 2 prospects, a pick, and 2 cheap established NHL D-men get the deal done? Would you do this type of a deal? I realize it opens a hole in our D, but the potential for kovalchuk might make it worth it.

Cherepanov 71 07-01-2008 07:01 PM

thats giving up alot

Shadowtron 07-01-2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Violin (Post 14666641)
Don't tear into me too much for this since i don't post often, but with the signing of redden and rozy, we have a D corps that looks something like this:

Redden - Staal
Rozy - X (Backman?)
Girardi - Tyutin

While i realize that redden's cap hit is high, would we now be able to offer a package of Sanguinetti, Cherepanov, 1st 2009, Tyutin, Girardi for Kovalchuk? I realize the asking price is steep for kovalchuk, but would 2 prospects, a pick, and 2 cheap established NHL D-men get the deal done? Would you do this type of a deal? I realize it opens a hole in our D, but the potential for kovalchuk might make it worth it.

You can't empty the Rangers talent pool and defensive pairing just so you can get a new Rangers jersey.

Trxjw 07-01-2008 07:05 PM

Highly, highly unlikely. We have to bring in 2 or 3 more top-six forwards and have about 10 mil left to do it if we move Backman and Prucha. Kinda hard to imagine spending 7 of it on Kovalchuk.

TreeSapLlama 07-01-2008 07:08 PM

Redden's sign in my eyes allows sanguinetti to be expendable (i would rather not have signed redden but thats neither here nor there). Cherepanov is a very high risk prospect until he at least plays hockey on north american shores (in my opinion). Toots and girardi both declined during the last year, and while i don't think that will be indicative of their future, i have a tough time believing they will ever be more then a 3rd/4th pairing defenceman. Assuming the deal goes through, kovalchuk would allow us to entertain playoff hopes again, lowering the value of the 1st (while i realize it is a deep draft, it is kovy).

So you are saying you wouldn't make this trade considering it fills our needs better now?

jhnyr 07-01-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherepanov 71 (Post 14666662)
thats giving up alot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowtron (Post 14666752)
You can't empty the Rangers talent pool and defensive pairing just so you can get a new Rangers jersey.

If he had posted less, he'd get jumped on for not offering enough.

Shadowtron 07-01-2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HannyNYR (Post 14667023)
If he had posted less, he'd get jumped on for not offering enough.

Jump to whatever conclusions please ya. It's just not the trade I would make today. This isn't EA. There are consequences for draining your talent pool. You'd think any fans of THIS franchise would have learned that lesson. It's the type of trade I'd make if I were...say, a Detroit. A well-oiled machine, perhaps looking for that big splash to take them to the promised land. The Rangers aren't close to the promised land or any other land for the matter. Right now they're just floating around trying to figure out what the hell type of team they want to be. As attractive a player Kovalchuk is, trading for him is more damaging than productive. He'll be breaking Ranger goalscoring records while we pick in the top ten of the draft for the next several years.

mti79 07-01-2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowtron (Post 14666752)

But I really want one.... :sarcasm:

Son of Steinbrenner 07-01-2008 08:31 PM

Is Kovalchuk even on the block?

Shadowtron 07-01-2008 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner (Post 14668573)
Is Kovalchuk even on the block?

No. But I think there's been talk about him possibly not wanting to re-up with Atlanta when he goes UFA in a season or 3.

Ace2008 07-02-2008 01:36 AM

honestly in my view

the quintet of

E.Gratchev----anisimov-----A.Cherepanov---Fedor---???

needs to be filled in before the focus shifts to the next Jagresque

combination of power skill and finesse. I've loved Kovalchuk's style from day 1---but I'd rather do a 10 year 54 million $ for him now than go and spend some ridiculous 25 million over 3 years....

Just remember that nobody is untradeable....JovoCop signed for the Same 6.5#$mill that Redden has and his NTC was the only thing that prevented him from being moved...

If Redden's pt stats and durability are strong for the Blueshirts

its entirely within the realm of possibility that the NYR could do some crazy 3--way trade where if Atlanta is tanking and the NYR offer multiple assets to 1 team for picks and then combine that w/ their own picks + Redden they could make a move for Kovalchuk*whose cap hit is 6.4 million $* and that would be interesting....of course the length of Wades' deal keeps him till age 37 for a slightly banged up skater who has played a ton of games near 77 per yr since 95....that's a scary amount of mileage by age 34...let alone 37. So the team will probably have to either win multiple cups the next 2-4 years or nobody will even bite.....and Somebody will have to be bought out to make room for the cap

HockeyBasedNYC 07-02-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Kovalchuk is going to be very upset in a day or two when he realizes that despite DW's recent efforts no free agents want to come to Atlanta. None. I can't imagine that there is a single FA out there who would prefer to be a Thrasher. Atlanta Spirit's damage to the team is irreparable.

Ilya's choice is now this: "Do I play out my contract under Anderson and show that I can get 60 goals on a bad team to increase my UFA value, or do I demand a trade now that will get me to a contender where I still will show my value to the UFA market?"

The market has spoken: The Thrashers are a dodo.
Interesting posts over on the Thrashers boards. Some of them seem to think he'll request a trade next season anyway.

The price is going to be huge, but i wouldnt say hes 100% not on the trading block.