HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Hckybuzz/4thperiod - Winter and Lowe are meeting each other ..... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=531066)

Patch101 07-01-2008 10:22 PM

Hckybuzz/4thperiod - Winter and Lowe are meeting each other .....

(from hckbuzz): Hossa and Edmonton meeting Confirmed: Oilers owner Katz and Lowe Meeting with Hossa Agent Winter in Edmonton Right Now...

http://thefourthperiod.com/freeagents/journal.html

This is promising?

Bergeron47 07-01-2008 10:24 PM

sick!!

The Human Torch 07-01-2008 10:25 PM

article says nothing about them meeting right now.

"The Oilers are expected to speak with Hossa's agent, Ritch Winter, later today... " from one hour ago.

oilerfan17 07-01-2008 10:25 PM

Stauffer confirmed it for tonight.

Nic 07-01-2008 10:26 PM

It's going to be surreal having such a high priced superstar in town. Don't get me wrong, Hossa is super consistent, so even if he is slightly overpaid, as long as he puts up 90+ points you can't really go wrong.

And if it doesn't happen, we still have a really good team and some extra cash to spend. It's nice having a rich owner....

Bryanbryoil 07-01-2008 10:27 PM

It was broken on Guy and Dean's The Pipeline Show tonight, that was the first that anyone heard of it. Check out the free agent thread #2.

RMK9 07-01-2008 10:27 PM

Seems to me that there is somewhat of a perfect storm brewing here...

Oilers trade for visnovsky (fellow slovak)

Oilers trade torres (cap space)

Boston signs Ryder (hurts there chances on Hossa)

Katz presser tomorrow....

Lowe/Katz talking with Hossa's agent tonight....

VERY interesting

metallicat 07-01-2008 10:28 PM

I'm doing my best to not get excited right now for two reasons. First, I really don't know whether or not to believe the Oil are the frontrunners. And secondly, I really don't know if signing Hossa is the best thing in the long run for this club.

oilers_guy_eddie 07-01-2008 10:29 PM

If Lowe and Winter are meeting face to face, this signing isn't happening. If Lowe and Winter are meeting face to face, somebody is most likely going to get shot or stabbed.

Lexicon 07-01-2008 10:31 PM

Hopefully the Oil grab him.

bluesteel 07-01-2008 10:31 PM

ill admit i wasnt optmistic at first like many others, but holy jumpin jacks batman...this actually may be happening

Soundwave 07-01-2008 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie (Post 14673129)
If Lowe and Winter are meeting face to face, this signing isn't happening. If Lowe and Winter are meeting face to face, somebody is most likely going to get shot or stabbed.

Daryl Katz is likely the one who will deliver this deal. Lowe is riding shotgun on this one I think.

HOF 07-01-2008 10:32 PM

Gregor said a little while ago their meeting right now

Schitzo 07-01-2008 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMK9 (Post 14673072)
Seems to me that there is somewhat of a perfect storm brewing here...

Oilers trade for visnovsky (fellow slovak)

Oilers trade torres (cap space)

Boston signs Ryder (hurts there chances on Hossa)

Katz presser tomorrow....

Lowe/Katz talking with Hossa's agent tonight....

VERY interesting

Don't forget the Rangers blowing their load on Redden, so now they're out of the running also.

bluesteel 07-01-2008 10:34 PM

now we just need to find the time the place, a large van with no windows and a blindfold......:sarcasm:

Bryanbryoil 07-01-2008 10:37 PM

IMO Lowe has told Katz what the highest $ and term he'd be willing to give before it becomes detrimental to the team. Then he's letting Katz do the actual bargaining since Daryl and Rich are supposedly buddies.

For evryone that *****es about Katz being seclusive, he's there when he needs to be and he wants to open up his era as being owner with a bang, and tell the NHL that he's ready to run a class act and if you want a classy franchise and to be part of a winner, Detroit is no longer the ONLY place to go!!! :yo:

hemigod 07-01-2008 10:38 PM

So is Hossa becomes an Oiler overnight then the question needs to be asked !

How much is Marion's dad going to be making in his new post as assistant head scout of the Slovakian Jr B league?

And secondly, are we just trying to aquire Marion so that Marcel will be more likely to join the Oil?

Valic 07-01-2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilcountry83 (Post 14673264)
now we just need to find the time the place, a large van with no windows and a blindfold......:sarcasm:

I'm sure Katz knows where Ritch lives and everything!

oilers_guy_eddie 07-01-2008 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemigod (Post 14673395)
And secondly, are we just trying to aquire Marion so that Marcel will be more likely to join the Oil?

waitwaitwait... you mean this is *Marian* Hossa we might be signing? :amazed:

The Forechecker 07-01-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 14673369)
IMO Lowe has told Katz what the highest $ and term he'd be willing to give before it becomes detrimental to the team. Then he's letting Katz do the actual bargaining since Daryl and Rich are supposedly buddies.

For evryone that *****es about Katz being seclusive, he's there when he needs to be and he wants to open up his era as being owner with a bang, and tell the NHL that he's ready to run a class act and if you want a classy franchise and to be part of a winner, Detroit is no longer the ONLY place to go!!! :yo:

I sure hope he succeeds in his goals.

Hemsky4PM 07-01-2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metallicat (Post 14673079)
I'm doing my best to not get excited right now for two reasons. First, I really don't know whether or not to believe the Oil are the frontrunners. And secondly, I really don't know if signing Hossa is the best thing in the long run for this club.

It would simply mean the end of giving 2M+ to third liners like Pisani and Moreau. You build the core: Hossa, Hemsky, Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson, Visnovsky, Gilbert and a goalie, presumably Garon and fill the gaps.

oilerfan17 07-01-2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 14673369)

I'm really liking Katz so far. It seems to me like he isn't willing to take any BS and is willing to do whatever is necessary to make the team better. The Hossa thing is the perfect manifestation of this new attitude in Edmonton. Would Lowe have done this under the EIG? That's doubtful IMO, although debatable. Lowe seems to have more confidence this summer than he has ever had IMO. He is being more assertive, more decisive, and much more effective. Either that's experience or the new owner, and probably a little of both.

Fortboy 07-01-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metallicat (Post 14673079)

who cares about the long run. It's about winning NOW. Each season brings changes and challenges and I'm sure our mgm't will address them as they come. Take a look at how much change there has been from the Cup run team to today. Change is inevitable. If we land Hossa and it doesn't work we blow it up through trades. It's all part of the game. I say do whatever it takes to win every day of the year every single year. And I think that is Lowe's mentality as well.

Arpeggio 07-01-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie (Post 14673443)
waitwaitwait... you mean this is *Marian* Hossa we might be signing? :amazed:

:biglaugh: I knew there was something more to this deal!

oilsands 07-01-2008 10:44 PM

My brain says no to Hossa, but I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that I want him. He is like that tempting sports car when, logically, you should be driving a fuel-economical focus or something.